• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cuisines

football forum

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Flemish stew & fries and mussels & fries are the best part of the Belgian cuisine, imo, but most of it is too heavy for my liking. I think it's more overlooked than underrated; thinking about it, I don't think I have ever seen a Belgian restaurant in any country outside of Belgium and the Netherlands, haha.

As for underrated cuisines, I'd give a vote to Georgia. 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Flemish stew & fries and mussels & fries are the best part of the Belgian cuisine, imo, but most of it is too heavy for my liking. I think it's more overlooked than underrated; thinking about it, I don't think I have ever seen a Belgian restaurant in any country outside of Belgium and the Netherlands, haha.

As for underrated cuisines, I'd give a vote to Georgia. 

Like I said I don't know a ton about Belgian cuisine but just having waffles and french fries raises it high because they are recognizable and iconic dishes.

Ecuadorian food is also pretty good, except for them claiming to have invented Banana Chips, that isn't true xD 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Like I said I don't know a ton about Belgian cuisine but just having waffles and french fries raises it high because they are recognizable and iconic dishes.

Ecuadorian food is also pretty good, except for them claiming to have invented Banana Chips, that isn't true xD 

I've had very little exposure to South American cuisines to be honest, except for Argentinian steakhouses everywhere and Venezuelan Areperas in the Canary Islands, haha. 

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

I've had very little exposure to South American cuisines to be honest, except for Argentinian steakhouses everywhere and Venezuelan Areperas in the Canary Islands, haha. 

Cuban food is fantastic. There are a few local Cuban restaurants near me that are simply fantastic. Great food, great atmosphere, just a wonderful experience from start to finish.

@Goku de la Boca - I actually went to a couple of Peruvian restaurants, and they were horrendous. Everything was fried and tasted the same. BUT, my father in law married a woman from Peru, and when her family are in town and they cook local food, it's some of the best I've ever had. I'm going over there this weekend for my birthday, and there is this yellow sauce that they make that is unbelievable, and I swear it tastes great on everything, from rice, to potatoes, to beef, just fantastic. I just assume all of the Peruvian restaurants here suck, because that's not anything near what my new Peruvian family cooks. 😂

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Cuban food is fantastic. There are a few local Cuban restaurants near me that are simply fantastic. Great food, great atmosphere, just a wonderful experience from start to finish.

@Goku de la Boca - I actually went to a couple of Peruvian restaurants, and they were horrendous. Everything was fried and tasted the same. BUT, my father in law married a woman from Peru, and when her family are in town and they cook local food, it's some of the best I've ever had. I'm going over there this weekend for my birthday, and there is this yellow sauce that they make that is unbelievable, and I swear it tastes great on everything, from rice, to potatoes, to beef, just fantastic. I just assume all of the Peruvian restaurants here suck, because that's not anything near what my new Peruvian family cooks. 😂

The yellow sauce is called aji amarillo, or translated yellow pepper. It's one of my favourites and I like it on papa la huancaina and particularly aji de gallina which is probably my favourite dish here. I actually also put it on my own version of poutine a while back.

c074b38c9b256c06d48db987a79c174a.jpg

It tasted very good but I think I put too much cheese bits on it xD 

55 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

The yellow sauce is called aji amarillo, or translated yellow pepper. It's one of my favourites and I like it on papa la huancaina and particularly aji de gallina which is probably my favourite dish here. I actually also put it on my own version of poutine a while back.

c074b38c9b256c06d48db987a79c174a.jpg

It tasted very good but I think I put too much cheese bits on it xD 

That doesn't quite look the same but I trust you.

Like I said they are making it for me this weekend so I'll send you a picture to make sure we are talking about the same sauce.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Eco said:

That doesn't quite look the same but I trust you.

Like I said they are making it for me this weekend so I'll send you a picture to make sure we are talking about the same sauce.

What would you say are the main American cuisines?

1 minute ago, MUFC said:

What would you say are the main American cuisines?

I mean, I wouldn't even know where to begin as the whole idea of 'cuisine' here has been diluted into what's just fast and easy. I mean I live in a rather large city, and we are known food a fast food restaurant that serves grease and heart attacks.

Food here is awful, and usually if you ask people what their favorite food is, they will typically say another culture's food.

Pitiful I know.

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

I mean, I wouldn't even know where to begin as the whole idea of 'cuisine' here has been diluted into what's just fast and easy. I mean I live in a rather large city, and we are known food a fast food restaurant that serves grease and heart attacks.

Food here is awful, and usually if you ask people what their favorite food is, they will typically say another culture's food.

Pitiful I know.

Besides burgers, American cuisine to me is modified version of other cultures, not entirely copied. Tacos are different in Mexico as is Pizza in Italy.

21 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Steaks and ribs in Texas?

I guess Ribs and BBQ are typical American cuisine.

Even as someone who lives in the south, you have certain dishes like, greens and casseroles, but still nothing as so much a staple as your have in other cultures.

On 17/02/2023 at 23:45, Tommy said:

What the fuck does that even mean?

I think he's saying western European food that's not Italian is shite. It's a ridiculous statement for a lot of reasons, but mostly because France exists and the French take their food almost as seriously as the Italians do.

There's good food everywhere. There's also bad food everywhere. Even Italy, probably, even though I've never had bad food in Italy... it's got to exist.

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There's good food everywhere. There's also bad food everywhere. Even Italy, probably, even though I've never had bad food in Italy... it's got to exist.

See Stanley Tucci's show Searching for Italy, I just don't believe for one minute that half the stuff he eats tastes any good. 

7 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

See Stanley Tucci's show Searching for Italy, I just don't believe for one minute that half the stuff he eats tastes any good. 

I've been to Italy 4 times and I think the food is fucking great. Dunno what the fuck he's eating if it's not good, but if he's eating stuff that tastes shite in Italy... then he's doing Italy wrong.

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've been to Italy 4 times and I think the food is fucking great. Dunno what the fuck he's eating if it's not good, but if he's eating stuff that tastes shite in Italy... then he's doing Italy wrong.

It ain't all pasta and pizza, it's a lot of "local" cuisine you've never heard of, probably for good reason.

Archived