talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Yankey thinks women's game would be on par with men's if it hadn't been banned

football forum

Former Arsenal and England winger Rachel Yankey believes that women's football attendances and participation would be on par with the men's game if it had not effectively been banned by the Football Association for 50 years.

The women's game attracted crowds of more than 50,000 before the FA move in 1921.

To celebrate International Women's Day, the 37-year-old took part in a Q&A session in her role as BBC Sport's guest editor.

She discussed topics such as Manchester United's lack of a senior women's team and England's hopes for Euro 2017, along with the CBeebies show Footy Pups, which Yankey hosts in a bid to help encourage a new generation of sports stars.

https://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39210802

Must be International Women's day 9_9.

Sorry Rachel but I think you're talking out of your arse and just doing some wishful thinking.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Must be International Women's day 9_9.

Sorry Rachel but I think you're talking out of your arse and just doing some wishful thinking.

Not saying she is right, but my wife was showing me stats about how in AMERICA, the Women's national team gets more revenue than the Men's NT. The attendance is higher, and so is the TV viewership. 

Things could have changed, but you have to understand things are different here where our women are absolute bad asses, and our men are 'eh'. 

11 minutes ago, Ubuntu said:

Not saying she is right, but my wife was showing me stats about how in AMERICA, the Women's national team gets more revenue than the Men's NT. The attendance is higher, and so is the TV viewership. 

Things could have changed, but you have to understand things are different here where our women are absolute bad asses, and our men are 'eh'. 

That is because in America soccer is a women's sport and a sport that America is very successful in internationally. Do you think anybody would watch women's soccer if that dyke (I can't remember her name) didn't take her shirt off to expose her sports bra when she scored in the World Cup? That was the watershed moment. Besides the quality of women's soccer is laughable when the women's team gets crushed by highschool boys. It's not even the women's fault either, it's just genetics.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is because in America soccer is a women's sport and a sport that America is very successful in internationally. Do you think anybody would watch women's soccer if that dyke (I can't remember her name) didn't take her shirt off to expose her sports bra when she scored in the World Cup? That was the watershed moment. Besides the quality of women's soccer is laughable when the women's team gets crushed by highschool boys. It's not even the women's fault either, it's just genetics.

You do realize these 'dykes', could beat your ass in a 1 on 1 right? 

We are proud of our women's team, there is nothing wrong with that. Besides, look at Alex Morgan and try not to thank some American parents for making that amazing woman. 

This is what she actually said when asked what women's football would have been like if not banned.

"Wow, what a fantastic question! It's a tricky one to answer. No one really knows but I'd like to think the attendances and participation levels would be on a par with the men's game."

It's a good answer. She recognises it is an untestable hypothesis then makes her forecast. She doesn't just act as if her guess is fact like most instinctly would.

Just now, HoneyNUFC said:

This is what she actually said when asked what women's football would have been like if not banned.

"Wow, what a fantastic question! It's a tricky one to answer. No one really knows but I'd like to think the attendances and participation levels would be on a par with the men's game."

It's a good answer. She recognises it is an untestable hypothesis then makes her forecast. She doesn't just act as if her guess is fact like most instinctly would.

Yes, because if this girl is a Yank (that plays for England), than she's right for how this country in. Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach are in more commercials than Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey. 

28 minutes ago, Ubuntu said:

Yes, because if this girl is a Yank (that plays for England), than she's right for how this country in. Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach are in more commercials than Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey. 

She isn't. Her name is Rachel Yankey

I can't think of any major sport where the women's game is as popular as the men's. Besides, as Spike said, the quality of women's sport pales in comparison to men's, and who wants to watch sub-standard football that's referred to as the highest level?

Just now, Burning Gold said:

She isn't. Her name is Rachel Yankey

I can't think of any major sport where the women's game is as popular as the men's. Besides, as Spike said, the quality of women's sport pales in comparison to men's, and who wants to watch sub-standard football?

That makes more sense. 

45 minutes ago, Ubuntu said:

You do realize these 'dykes', could beat your ass in a 1 on 1 right? 

We are proud of our women's team, there is nothing wrong with that. Besides, look at Alex Morgan and try not to thank some American parents for making that amazing woman. 

Hahahaha, what? What does it have to do with me, hahaha; what an odd statement to make. I'm pretty sure she (Brandi Chastain?) is a dyke and I like how  you turned it into a plural and emphasised there is something wrong with it by throwing some '' around the word. I think Alex Morgan is weird looking and kinda skanky, not my type. Where did I say there is something wrong with being proud of them? Geez man, did you read someone else's post and reply to mine?

Just now, Spike said:

Hahahaha, what? What does it have to do with me, hahaha; what an odd statement to make. I'm pretty sure she (Brandi Chastain?) is a dyke and I like how you act like how you turned it into a plural and emphasised there is something wrong with it by throwing some '' around the word. I think Alex Morgan is weird looking and kinda skanky, not my type.

c3834178df15f6c56ef037d2629937f1.jpg

Not your type? That's fine because I understand how everyone has their preferences, but that is the definition of strong a beautiful. I think your comments suggest you think differently about the woman's game, and I was just saying that these women would beat both of our asses in soccer (and I played in college, not sure about you, but it doesn't matter). It's so common in this country alone for women to NOT play sports, but those who do, and succeed at the ultimate level, should be raised and applauded. I don't find the great Abby Wambach particularly attractive, but I'm more proud of her than any American soccer play (maybe outside of Kasey Keller), for what she did to the game.

These women are badasses.  

6 minutes ago, Ubuntu said:

Not your type? That's fine because I understand how everyone has their preferences, but that is the definition of strong a beautiful. I think your comments suggest you think differently about the woman's game, and I was just saying that these women would beat both of our asses in soccer (and I played in college, not sure about you, but it doesn't matter). It's so common in this country alone for women to NOT play sports, but those who do, and succeed at the ultimate level, should be raised and applauded. I don't find the great Abby Wambach particularly attractive, but I'm more proud of her than any American soccer play (maybe outside of Kasey Keller), for what she did to the game.

She has the body of a twelve year-old boy. I don't find flat women attractive, I have bigger tits and more shapely hips than her. She has a pretty face but that is it.

Dude, when I said they lose to highschoolers, it literally happens. The Australian girls got thrashed 7-0 by Under-15s and the Matildas are a pretty good team, the women shouldn't be held to the same standard as men. You were probably better than them at college level, it's not their fault men are naturally bigger, stronger and faster; it's just a fact of biology. It'd be kind of like me and you trying to play two on two against Pippin and Jordan, we might have great technique but our physique just isn't up to par. 

21 minutes ago, Spike said:

She has the body of a twelve year-old boy. I don't find flat women attractive, I have bigger tits and more shapely hips than her. She has a pretty face but that is it.

Dude, when I said they lose to highschoolers, it literally happens. The Australian girls got thrashed 7-0 by Under-15s and the Matildas are a pretty good team, the women shouldn't be held to the same standard as men. You were probably better than them at college level, it's not their fault men are naturally bigger, stronger and faster; it's just a fact of biology. It'd be kind of like me and you trying to play two on two against Pippin and Jordan, we might have great technique but our physique just isn't up to par. 

Haha - Pippen and Jordan...

I get what you are saying. I am guessing that here in the States we just don't bash out WNT as much as our MNT as our women are top of the world, and are Men probably won't qualify for the World Cup. 

I wish women got paid and respected as much, but I understand watching an elite game on men, compared to an elite match in the men's is vastly different, I wish the women would get compensated instead of paid less because they were born women. 

Hopefully, that makes sense. 

Oh and as for her body, it's fit, and I couldn't love and appreciate her more. She's a sexy woman. 

On 08/03/2017 at 9:13 PM, HoneyNUFC said:

Quiet you. It's called click bait :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will always be hard for the womens game to compete with the men's as the Premier League is all engulfing, never ending and has a lot and lot of money in it so must be a priority to broadcasters to make their moneys worth.

I'm very disappointed a thread about the womens game turned into a conversation about how attractive female players are.

On 09/03/2017 at 9:00 AM, ATL said:

c3834178df15f6c56ef037d2629937f1.jpg

Why is she wearing makeup at training?

Other than that, 8/10 solid smash

The disingenuous way what she said was presented is why I seriously hate the football press. It makes out that women can't talk about the difference in popularity and interest in a reasonable and realistic manner.

What she basically said is that it's hard to say but she'd like to think it'd be as popular as the men's game and then followed up by saying she hopes the standard improves to make it more attractive for people to watch.

Americans tend to pretend that sports they're not good at don't exist so it doesn't surprise me that Alex Morgan is in more commercials than any of the men. If they didn't have such an easy route to the World Cup they can potentially finish top of they probably wouldn't televise male soccer.

• Administrator

I've watched women's football. Like most of us have. There have been some quite brilliant female footballers, Kelly Smith for example and yes this is a long way round to a backhanded compliment ... and I say this without misogyny ... but women's football is fucking toss. 

Some of the games are embarrassingly poor of quality, technically there are very good female footballers but the game is let down by moments of absurdity. Some players unable to kick a ball properly to cross it, dreadful passing and shite goalkeeping. All this at international level. 

In short. She is having a fucking laugh 

Archived