talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The history of global economics ... in football shirts

football forum

• Subscriber

Read this today and found it a great read even if its about 2 years old. Don't know if anyone has ever posted this before.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/jan/23/the-history-of-global-economics-in-football-shirts-premier-league

Are you happy with your current sponsor? What's one of the best sponsors you've ever seen on a shirt?

My earliest recollection of Liverpool sponsors was Candy. I remember my dad watching them on TV and wondering why they had it on their shirts.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Read this today and found it a great read even if its about 2 years old. Don't know if anyone has ever posted this before.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/jan/23/the-history-of-global-economics-in-football-shirts-premier-league

Are you happy with your current sponsor? What's one of the best sponsors you've ever seen on a shirt?

My earliest recollection of Liverpool sponsors was Candy. I remember my dad watching them on TV and wondering why they had it on their shirts.

Current sponsor is King Power which won't be changed while our current owners are in charge.

Favourite ever is Walkers which is pretty much an iconic part of our history of shirt sponsors. Local company/brand and seemed to just fit perfectly on our shirts:

Image result for 1996-97 leicester shirt

Image result for 1996-97 leicester shirt

Every Newcastle fan longs for the brown ale beermat being back on the kit. There was a rumour about it in the summer but more money came in from a random Chinese betting company (who by the way have a fucking awful and unfunctioning English website. Cashed out straight away).

alan-shearer-brown-ale-265x300.jpg

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Every Newcastle fan longs for the brown ale beermat being back on the kit. There was a rumour about it in the summer but more money came in from a random Chinese betting company (who by the way have a fucking awful and unfunctioning English website. Cashed out straight away).

alan-shearer-brown-ale-265x300.jpg

That logo is what I always associated with NUFC. I remember someone in school got one and I thought it was great.

Thought I'd try something by listing a load of teams and then saying the sponsor that instantly came to mind with them. When I think about things like this, I tend to think back to Premier League days pre 2000's generally.

Arsenal - JVC

Aston Villa - Muller

Blackburn - McEwans Lager

Bolton - Reebok

Chelsea - Coors

Coventry - Subaru

Crystal Palace - Virgin

Derby - Puma

Everton - NEC

Leeds - Strongbow

Leicester - Walkers

Liverpool - Carlsberg