The better place to talk football.

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Play-offs

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

Will England be seeded?

Not sure. Presumably so if it's done on winning the group. Not sure if it's done on current rankings though. 

Just now, Stan said:

Not sure. Presumably so if it's done on winning the group. Not sure if it's done on current rankings though. 

Spain won their group in flying colours and won't be seeded because it goes on the FIFA Rankings.  I'm not sure on England's situation surrounding the rankings so that's why I was asking.  But I will say this...  It's actually lucky Italy didn't qualify for some because they would also not have been seeded and imagine the seeded getting Spain and Italy.  Now it's only Spain to worry about.  The groups will be rigged!

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Haha well was just joking, but you are right, the football has been dire with Southgate, nothing really gives you much confidence with him in charge, he is like a younger version of Hodgson. 

England have literally not one English candidate for that job now. Not a single one. That's disgusting. Allardyce was probably the best of a bad bunch and might've steadied things somewhat (and by steadied, I mean not produce anything like that disgrace in 2016 or 2014) but he blew it through other reasons. England simply have to go foreign but I think we'll have a dour tournament under GSG and he'll end up getting the Euros too.

• Subscriber

How the fucking hell are Poland a top seed? What have they even done in the last five years? They weren't even in Brazil and got knocked out of the Euros in the quarters by Portugal.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

England are pot 2.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

The seeding goes on FIFA ranking, this means  seeded are: Russia(host), Germany (WR1), Brazil (WR2), Portugal (WR3), Argentina (WR4), Belgium (WR5), Poland (WR6), and France (WR7). Both England (WR12) as well as Spain (WR9) are unseeded.

Well there you go!

Now the only question remains if the rules continue to be the same where three European nations couldn't be in the same group because if that has changed then you could potentially get a group with Germany, Spain, England and one other...  Imagine that!  But all the same, either Germany or France will surely be getting either Spain or England.  Russia will have their shit group so as that they progress at least to the next phase.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Well there you go!

Now the only question remains if the rules continue to be the same where three European nations couldn't be in the same group because if that has changed then you could potentially get a group with Germany, Spain, England and one other...  Imagine that!  But all the same, either Germany or France will surely be getting either Spain or England.  Russia will have their shit group so as that they progress at least to the next phase.

This rule still applies.

7 minutes ago, 6666 said:

A World Cup without Italy, Netherlands, Chile or the US will be weird but it's their fault for sucking, no one else's.

A World Cup without Chile weird? They only qualified for 2 world cups out of 4 since 1998. I think the "weird" part is that they are back to back Copa America champions and have failed to qualify.

They aren't a World renowned football nation like Italy and Holland and aren't a usual shoe in like the USA.

55 minutes ago, Stan said:

Give Southgate a chance at least xD

He's had a qualification campaign against lesser teams and completed the job in getting England to Russia. 

What's wrong with that?! Judge him after a major tournament. Don't slate him before it's even begun. 

True but we have been terrible for the most part. My instinct tells me we will do terrible and i trust that more than most things

28 minutes ago, Dan said:

How the fucking hell are Poland a top seed? What have they even done in the last five years? They weren't even in Brazil and got knocked out of the Euros in the quarters by Portugal.

I think their 2-0 win over Germany hugely improved their position, as did our win vs Brazil did with us.

34 minutes ago, Dan said:

England have literally not one English candidate for that job now. Not a single one. That's disgusting. Allardyce was probably the best of a bad bunch and might've steadied things somewhat (and by steadied, I mean not produce anything like that disgrace in 2016 or 2014) but he blew it through other reasons. England simply have to go foreign but I think we'll have a dour tournament under GSG and he'll end up getting the Euros too.

Dyce and howe aren't bad.

• Subscriber
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Dyce and howe aren't bad.

Neither are bad but does it really take consolidating Burnley and Bournemouth to be good enough to get the England gig now? I think both of those deserve cracks at a bigger club* but I'm not sure either have done enough to manage England.

* There is very little in terms of middling clubs for either of them - and with the TV money being so big now, maybe it's not even worth the risk as with proper organisation you can get either of those clubs into the top half. Although I have a strange suspicion Howe will end up at Southampton.

To be fair, there are a whole bunch of managers in the championship who are good enough but are destined to fail due to reputation. No one would respect them.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

Neither are bad but does it really take consolidating Burnley and Bournemouth to be good enough to get the England gig now? I think both of those deserve cracks at a bigger club* but I'm not sure either have done enough to manage England.

* There is very little in terms of middling clubs for either of them - and with the TV money being so big now, maybe it's not even worth the risk as with proper organisation you can get either of those clubs into the top half. Although I have a strange suspicion Howe will end up at Southampton.

To be honest though when we had capello who had some pedigree  we had a bad world cup. Although I think if he had stayed longer we would have done better in other tournaments

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

To be fair, there are a whole bunch of managers in the championship who are good enough but are destined to fail due to reputation. No one would respect them.

Most of them are better than southgate. I'm sure if howe was spanish he would be at a bigger club now. Liverpool aren't bad at giving British managers a chance. I dont think a lot of English managers do enough to go to a top club but there is a bit of a problem i think.

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

This sounds like a job for one man...

3955CA4400000578-3834829-image-a-19_1476291532211.thumb.jpg.865e67cf461a82921f5cb93c85f4d2b6.jpg

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Again, they're in the Championship, I think you've got to demonstrate a bit more than that to get the England job personally.

We need a tactically switched on manager. I'm fed up of us wasting our potential. There are some good players in that side - a lot of them are finally showing what they can do even on the European stage. Kane is on fire and has been for a long time. Alli clearly has something about him (not having the World Class debate again with you Brian!), Sterling's on fire, Stones and Walker are both regulars in possibly the form team of Europe. If we had someone like Conte in charge of us, I'd actually give us a shot at making the Semis.

Southgate I don't see getting us out of the group, round of 16 is par, quarters would be a genuinely good effort I think, but I cannot see it happening under him. He's a nice bloke, and comes across as genuine, not someone who I'll enjoy seeing fail* as I think he genuinely cares, but I don't see any evidence he's got what it takes.

* I had zero sympathy for Hodgson, he deserved everything he got. His squad was a spineless cop-out, his tactics were nonsensical and his attitude after we went out was pitiful.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be honest though when we had capello who had some pedigree  we had a bad world cup. Although I think if he had stayed longer we would have done better in other tournaments

It's a shame things like Capello happen - because I don't think the ideology of getting in a tactical brain is wrong, it just happened to be the wrong particular bloke.

Capello was absolutely garbage for England.

9 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's a shame things like Capello happen - because I don't think the ideology of getting in a tactical brain is wrong, it just happened to be the wrong particular bloke.

Capello was absolutely garbage for England.

Well we did really bad in the world cup. But we played some good stuff before the world cup and overall we were ok. I think he just fell out with the players in south Africa

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well we did really bad in the world cup. But we played some good stuff before the world cup and overall we were ok. I think he just fell out with the players in south Africa

England can't ever be judged too much on qualifiers. It's geared in such a way it's harder for us to not qualify. This last group we've just gotten through was an absolute joke of a group.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived