talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Play-offs

Australia shouldn't have a problem with the different atmosphere in Honduras. They come across that in Asia often. The worry might be the crowd and the heat although I'm sure the latter they've also dealt with. Not just in Asia but also domestically.

I think the Soccerroos should win though. Honduras aren't a great side on paper although tactically they seem to be better than what Ange Postecoglu is going for.

As for us, we should be able to beat New Zealand. If we don't it will be a failure. We just finished 5th after dealing with some of the best nations in the world, compared to the team that can barely handle amateurs. Strange things have happened in football and New Zealand have some decent players but I won't celebrate until we are in.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/09/2017 at 0:04 AM, Teso dos Bichos said:

you really believe peru has a chance to make it to the world cup? ย ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

8 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Australia and peru.ย 

mexico won 9-3 vs new Zealand ย (2014 play-off)ย 

:clown:

20 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Some what of a piss take Peru get a second bite of the cherry at the risk ofย a whole continent not qualifying.

I said that before. But someone did point out that the standard is so low on Australasia is it really fair that a team gets through after playing such poor teams?

52 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I said that before. But someone did point out that the standard is so low on Australasia is it really fair that a team gets through after playing such poor teams?

If Fifa are serious about developing countries from all continents like they continually preach then yes. They could always sacrifice a team from Europe and have a 2nd versus 5th place match between the two continents to help the rest of the continent grow.

Time for my campaign review which I promised on Tuesday night.

Its incredible that we are here. Genuinely, last year we only had 4 points in September before going away to La Paz. I had us as eliminated and now we are 2 matches against New Zealand before we book our ticket to Russia. I hope and expect us to get the job done.ย 

We started off the campaign horribly. Only winning 1 game in 6 and then losing to Bolivia in La Paz 2-0. We never gave up though, and once we got our points back that we lost in Bolivia, we were still far off from the qualification. However the squad did brilliantly to take advantage of the extra points. We beat Paraguay in Asuncion for the first time in our history, however Brazil was too much for us. Even at home, they were just on another level. Venezuela away is never easy for us but came back 2-2 when 2-0 down and could have also won it in the end. We tore Uruguay apart and we then got 6 points vs Bolivia at home and Ecuador away. We got the 2 points that were needed to qualify for 5th in October.

We still have yet to lose a game in 2017. Alongside Brazil we are the only team to not drop any points this year. Thats incredible for our standards. Granted, we have been getting progressively worse by matchday. We were excellent in March, great in June, good in september and awful in October. Hopefully we can see our great tiki taka on the floor play work again that we've been seeing through the last 2 years.ย 

Now as for our players... here is my rating in the entire campaign.

ย 

Pedro Gallese

He kept us in some games and is on course to become the greatest Peruvian born goalkeeper of all time. Prior, our best goalkeepers have been nationalized. Balerio, Quiroga, Ibaรฑez are the 3 examples that come to mind. Good Peruvian goalkeepers have began to emerge since 2000 and Gallese may become the best if he keeps this up. For me, the crown still belongs to Leao Butron.

Aldo Corzo

Plays for Universitario and he is a very limited player. For La U, he isn't all that and his offensive play isn't that great. He's really a Peruvian league player at best. This campaign though he has been extraodinary. He becomes something else when he plays for La Blanquiroja. Still weak on offence but defensively he is a rock. He's really only had 1 bad game in this campaign and that was away to Argentina.

Alberto Rodriguez

A central defender of serious quality. Its a shame he's 33 now because he is something else. One of our best CB's in this century and really helped get us this far. Shut down players like Aguero, Martins, Benedetto, Falcao and to some extent, Higuain. He won't be moving anywhere due to his age and injury proneness, but he can still compete at top level.

Christian Ramos

Probably the worst player of the 11. Inconsistent but very good on form. He has done well in this campaign and shut many people up as lots didn't rate him before this. I was not one of those as I've always though he's a decent centre half.ย 

Miguel Trauco

He was the Peruvian league revelation in 2016 and moved to Flamengo in 2017. He is one of our best players. Excellent in the attack and very technical. He can do anything he wants with his feet and accompanied with good vision to cross and make long balls. He is also very versatile. He can play as a CM and do just a good a job.

Yoshimar Yotun

The core of Ricardo Gareca's system. He controls that midfield and is good defensively and offensively. Originally a left back, he did well to change between short and long passes. He also has excellent vision and basically if he doesn't play well, usually the team doesn't perform to their max.

Renato Tapia

He's had an inconsistent campaign but is usually a very solid player. 22 now, he's still young and part of the reason was a lack of playing time for Feyenoord. He's more of a defensive player but he's also got some attacking elements which is why he's so important to the side.

Edison Flores

Edison has shut me up as well as many others. I didn't rate him when he was at Universitario but that final year he was transformed into something else. Once he moved to Denmark, he learn to be more tactical and became stronger. Now he's hard to stop on the ball and he's learn how to finish his chances. 5 goals this campaign all in important moments.

Christian Cueva

Another one to be introduced by Ricardo Gareca and yet another revelation. He's an excellent number 10 and Gareca's faith got him to the Brazilian league. Great on the dribble and very creative. A magician on the ball and is very tactically aware. His only issue is he can get cards often for being too petulent.

Andre Carrillo

Revolutionized by Ricardo Gareca. He's lethal when he's going forward and impossible to stop when his confidence is high. His end product is getting better but he's still not quite there. For now we need him to initiate attacks and get everyone in the box.

Paolo Guerrero

Our best player by a mile. Superb footballing ability, excellent captain. He was a complete big game player and that's often the best type of player to have. His leadership got us this far and without him we wouldn't be 5th. Truly one of the worlds most underappreciated number 9's.

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You don't want the Irish there?ย 

Ireland are playing some real primitive football and for entertainment value it's best they watch it on tv this time around.

Ita'y's task isn't as easy as it looks on paper. ย Hope they get through it...

• Administrator
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

You don't want the Irish there?ย 

nope.

Croatia - think I mentioned it in this thread or another but I love watching Modric play and it'd be a shame if he wasn't there with his side. Same goes for Rakitic. Plus Kramaric is doing well now for club and country and I'd like to see him at a major tournament; hopefully this summer will be the one.

Switzerland - I prefer them to Northern Ireland. The latter are quite boring. Their 'brand' of football might be effective for them but as a neutral, they're not pleasant to watch.

Denmark - Mainly for Schmeichel and Eriksen. It also says a lot that the best thing about Republic of Ireland is their fans as opposed to their football.

Italy - got some great youngsters coming through and it wouldn't be a proper World Cup without them there.ย 

• 2 weeks later...

Paolo Guerrero positive in anti doping and could be suspended for up to 2 years which means missing the World Cup.

I can't be too gutted if we qualify because I really just want to see us in a World Cup. However, id be fucking gutted for him. This is the last chance for him to play what he's wanted to play his whole career.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Paolo Guerrero positive in anti doping and could be suspended for up to 2 years which means missing the World Cup.

I can't be too gutted if we qualify because I really just want to see us in a World Cup. However, id be fucking gutted for him. This is the last chance for him to play what he's wanted to play his whole career.

Why would you be gutted for him? He's a grown was man who should realise there are consequences with his actions.ย 

ย 

ย 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Why would you be gutted for him? He's a grown was man who should realise there are consequences with his actions.ย 

ย 

ย 

It was apparently due to a fever prior to the Argentina game. I hope it's not true. We need a leader like him.

If he does miss the World Cup then I won't he too optimistic. However, I'll still enjoy the moment.ย 

The only Peruvian celebrating this is Claudio Pizarro, who probably put something in Paolo's medicineย xD

Just wait until he misses a call up again. The backups are Farfรกn and Ruidiaz.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Blue said:

his own fault then. Should be more careful about what medication is being taken for illnesses. At least he or his physio/doctor should have double-checked any medication is legal.ย 

Nothing is confirmed yet. Paolo is a top professional, so if true id be shocked because he knows the consequences well.

This is something I'd expect from any Peruvian except him.

• The title was changed to World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Play-offs
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived