talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Star Wars

football forum

I enjoyed the movie. In comparison The Last Jedi actually annoyed me at so many levels...

I cannot see any way to successfully bring to an end the vision of Rian Johnson set in TLJ. No matter how "courageous" it is deemed to be by critics, it made no sense at all and it was going nowhere plot-wise. Fortunately the plot of RoS feels like a retcon of the former (implied by C3PO's memory prowess).

Certainly not perfect, but the most entertaining film of the Disney trilogy.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

I enjoyed the movie. In comparison The Last Jedi actually annoyed me at so many levels...

I cannot see any way to successfully bring to an end the vision of Rian Johnson set in TLJ. No matter how "courageous" it is deemed to be by critics, it made no sense at all and it was going nowhere plot-wise. Fortunately the plot of RoS feels like a retcon of the former (implied by C3PO's memory prowess).

Certainly not perfect, but the most entertaining film of the Disney trilogy.

Glad to hear it as that's pretty much how I feel about it too... 

Funny how the critics are thrashing it mostly while the audience seems to like it a lot; and how it was the complete opposite with The Last Jedi...

EtQvcgc.png

lceeA5I.png

I liked it i thought it was the best of the trilogy and it made sense in terms of tying it together. 

23 hours ago, nudge said:

Glad to hear it as that's pretty much how I feel about it too... 

Funny how the critics are thrashing it mostly while the audience seems to like it a lot; and how it was the complete opposite with The Last Jedi...

EtQvcgc.png

lceeA5I.png

That’s because the modern film critic is also the modern art fan, they look at some depraved maniac deficating on a canvas for 6 months and saying it represents “repression of expression” and they think “ah that’s good shit”. 

Weirdos like Mark Kermode who just don’t “feel” a movie. Fuck them I ignore and go for audiences score now anyway 

Edited by Fairy In Boots
  • Upvote 2

This movie was a piece of shit. All 3 were fucking garbage, I found the first lazy and poor, and it got worse from there. The 2nd especially, and this last addition this solidifies the trilogy as a dyslexic piece of shit, that completely undermines the achievements of the characters in the first trilogy, and is a movie made by cash grabbing greedy whores to make billions out of nostalgia and hype. 

Fuck these movies.  

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber

I was fairly bored watching it, im with roid rage there (except I enjoyed the first one) Fairly large hunk of shit imo. The only saving grace was the nice send off for Carrie Fisher other then that the plot was all over the place, very predictable, lots of dumb scenes and overall snoozefest.

Edited by Viva la FCB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
On 29/12/2019 at 20:21, Viva la FCB said:

I was fairly bored watching it, im with roid rage there (except I enjoyed the first one) Fairly large hunk of shit imo. The only saving grace was the nice send off for Carrie Fisher other then that the plot was all over the place, very predictable, lots of dumb scenes and overall snoozefest.

Carrie Fisher and how they handled her was the biggest positive surprise for me in this movie.

That said, I understand a lot of criticism and I'm not a fan of the sequel trilogy either - in my eyes Episode IX still did the best it possibly could to control damage after the car crash that The Last Jedi was though. I see why people complain about (parts of) the plot and the pacing. A snoozefest though? :o couldn't disagree more there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Carrie Fisher and how they handled her was the biggest positive surprise for me in this movie

That said, I understand a lot of criticism and I'm not a fan of the sequel trilogy either - in my eyes Episode IX still did the best it possibly could to control damage after the car crash that The Last Jedi was though. I see why people complain about (parts of) the plot and the pacing. A snoozefest though? :o couldn't disagree more there. 

Maybe a tad hyperbolic but my I did feel my patients being tested. Just too many scenes that I felt didnt matter at all being strung together.

I was surprised the amount of footage they could piece together for all the Carrie Fisher scenes to build something out of and then yeah the send off was a touch of class. 

• Upvote 1

I was actually dozing off in the cinema at one point. Had to pull myself together. 

Better than The Last Jedi, but that doesn’t take much. This whole trilogy has been a real 5/10 effort (at best). My favourite thing about the film was that Baba Flick or whatever his name was. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2019 at 23:27, Devil-Dick Willie said:

This movie was a piece of shit. All 3 were fucking garbage, I found the first lazy and poor, and it got worse from there. The 2nd especially, and this last addition this solidifies the trilogy as a dyslexic piece of shit, that completely undermines the achievements of the characters in the first trilogy, and is a movie made by cash grabbing greedy whores to make billions out of nostalgia and hype. 

Fuck these movies.  

I agree with this.

The Force Awakens was just a remake. No original storylines. They were all ripped straight from the original trilogy. 

The Last Jedi ruined Luke Skywalkers character

I haven't seen the last one, but reading the plotlines, I don't think I'll like it. Just seems to me like they will recycle more things from the original trilogy.

Say what you want about the prequels, sure the dialogue was bad and the romantic stuff was god awful but at least it had a direction. It was original and everything made sense. It linked to the original trilogy extremely well. These new movies just feel like fan service and they couldn't be more obvious with it. The whole thing was just to try and appease fans. They tried a little bit too hard.

I hope these movies are removed from canon because I certainly won't count them.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Well let's be honest, the sequels shouldn't have happened in the first place. Agree on The Force Awakens being a carbon copy of A New Hope, The Last Jedi was a complete trainwreck, and given that there was not much the last movie could do. I surprisingly found The Rise of Skywalker very enjoyable though. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well let's be honest, the sequels shouldn't have happened in the first place. Agree on The Force Awakens being a carbon copy of A New Hope, The Last Jedi was a complete trainwreck, and given that there was not much the last movie could do. I surprisingly found The Rise of Skywalker very enjoyable though. 

I'm gonna see the last one eventually, but I willingly spoiled the movie for myself and it just sounds like another fan service movie. I just hope they do some things different than the original trilogy.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Vader said:

I'm gonna see the last one eventually, but I willingly spoiled the movie for myself and it just sounds like another fan service movie. I just hope they do some things different than the original trilogy.

There's a lot of fan service in TROS as they definitely tried to please everyone with this last movie; which is quite understandable given the negative reactions to the previous two. So if you expect originality and some bold direction then you're going to be disappointed (it had some serious Return of the Jedi vibes). I went to the premiere with having no expectations whatsoever (well I frankly expected to dislike it) and - to my surprise - was thoroughly entertained. For me it was a successful damage control after The Last Jedi.

I'm glad they're done with the Skywalker Saga now anyway and that the new future movies will deal with other stories and characters in the Star Wars universe. Honestly that's what they should have done in the first place instead of creating a sequel trilogy. The next one is rumoured to be set in the High Republic era (so around 400 BBY). Meanwhile there's The Mandalorian to enjoy and two new series in the works :D 

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

So has anyone read the leak of Colin Trevorrow's script for Episode IX? It's apparently what the plot of the last movie would have been before Trevorrow left and JJ Abrams took over.

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-episode-9-script-leak-colin-trevorrow-duel-of-the-fates

Whole thing is a mess. They botched it up big time.

This sequel trilogy better get the Dragonball GT treatment and just take it off canon. Meanwhile I'm excited for what next they have in store. Star Wars NEEDS a reboot in a different era. I've been saying that for years and I'm glad I've got my wish.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Vader said:

Whole thing is a mess. They botched it up big time.

This sequel trilogy better get the Dragonball GT treatment and just take it off canon. Meanwhile I'm excited for what next they have in store. Star Wars NEEDS a reboot in a different era. I've been saying that for years and I'm glad I've got my wish.

They won't take it off canon haha; it's now part of he universe whether we like it or not. There are many tie-in books and comics released that are part of the sequel trilogy events, many more coming up still; there's just no way they'd scrap it all. They'll start bringing new stories from other eras with different characters now and that's great but I think we should accept that those movies are now part of the franchise regardless of how unsatisfying it may be. I mean there are plenty of people who ignore the prequels for similar reasons too so it's nothing new xD 

Just now, nudge said:

They won't take it off canon haha; it's now part of he universe whether we like it or not. There are many tie-in books and comics released that are part of the sequel trilogy events, many more coming up still; there's just no way they'd scrap it all. They'll start bringing new stories from other eras with different characters now and that's great but I think we should accept that those movies are now part of the franchise regardless of how unsatisfying it may be. I mean there are plenty of people who ignore the prequels for similar reasons too so it's nothing new xD 

The prequels at least had a link to the story. And I don't mean the story was executed well, but more how the original trilogy mentioned the past many times. So you can't really ignore the prequels because of that. The sequel trilogy on the other hand, is in the future and none of the original star wars guys (George Lucas, Mark Hamill) seemed to like it.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Vader said:

The prequels at least had a link to the story. And I don't mean the story was executed well, but more how the original trilogy mentioned the past many times. So you can't really ignore the prequels because of that. The sequel trilogy on the other hand, is in the future and none of the original star wars guys (George Lucas, Mark Hamill) seemed to like it.

True but essentially it won't matter anyway. It is what it is now and Lucasfilm aren't going to decanonise the movies because a large group of fans didn't like them. Best to move on and hope that the future movies/series will be good...

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, nudge said:

So has anyone read the leak of Colin Trevorrow's script for Episode IX? It's apparently what the plot of the last movie would have been before Trevorrow left and JJ Abrams took over.

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-episode-9-script-leak-colin-trevorrow-duel-of-the-fates

IMO they should have stuck with what was originally written. Trying to make this loop of Palpatine and Skywalker seems like such a mess honestly and didn't really do much in terms of the story either. Killing all the Skywalkers and doing a fresh start would have been much better. They just tried to do way too much fan service and in the process didn't do much really.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

IMO they should have stuck with what was originally written. Trying to make this loop of Palpatine and Skywalker seems like such a mess honestly and didn't really do much in terms of the story either. Killing all the Skywalkers and doing a fresh start would have been much better. They just tried to do way too much fan service and in the process didn't do much really.

Hmm I personally thought that Trevorrow's script was even worse. I mean, bringing Palpatine back was problematic, but I can take him dieing and being resurrected by Sith loyalists better than the idea of Palpatine's master being well and alive for thousands of years and Kylo killing him by sucking out his life force using a skill that he was just taught by the Sith master himself. Not only is it ridiculous, it also completely ignores the rule of two and makes the original movie events even less relevant. Also, Kylo Ren killing Rey's parents? The timelines just don't match and it doesn't make sense. Him not getting redemption sucks as well. The big bang at the end apparently does not mean the end of the universe and the creation of the new one; it actually shows Rey in an Astral Plane (???) where she meets Yoda, Luke and Obi-Wan who thank her for doing what they failed to do and offer her a choice of either staying there with them or returning to the living. She chooses the later and the ending of the movie shows her training a new generation of Jedi on some random new planet. 

So ugh, I personally am happy we got what we did with The Rise of Skywalker instead of this version 😅 the only thing I liked about it was Corruscant being there. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hmm I personally thought that Trevorrow's script was even worse. I mean, bringing Palpatine back was problematic, but I can take him dieing and being resurrected by Sith loyalists better than the idea of Palpatine's master being well and alive for thousands of years and Kylo killing him by sucking out his life force using a skill that he was just taught by the Sith master himself. Not only is it ridiculous, it also completely ignores the rule of two and makes the original movie events even less relevant. Also, Kylo Ren killing Rey's parents? The timelines just don't match and it doesn't make sense. Him not getting redemption sucks as well. The big bang at the end apparently does not mean the end of the universe and the creation of the new one; it actually shows Rey in an Astral Plane (???) where she meets Yoda, Luke and Obi-Wan who thank her for doing what they failed to do and offer her a choice of either staying there with them or returning to the living. She chooses the later and the ending of the movie shows her training a new generation of Jedi on some random new planet. 

So ugh, I personally am happy we got what we did with The Rise of Skywalker instead of this version 😅 the only thing I liked about it was Corruscant being there. 

I think the previous two movies set everything up for failure really. With the Force Awakens you got a child who was completely outside the loop of everything (unbeknownst to everyone what her lineage was) and then then you find out shes the grand-daughter of Palpatine and the story arc there just went to pots the minute they tried to turn her to the light and redeem all the stuff that happens when Anakin is forced to make a decision to choose to save the one he loves. I find that formulaic personally but Its also necessary to then allow Ren to get redemption and I felt that was totally unnecessary as they went ahead and burned the entire Skywalker lineage anyways so why the merry-go-round.

They meticulously went about killing everyone from the mid-ground 3 movies only to then take Rey back to the planet where Luke/Anakin were from and then put the story to bed which also seems terribly formulaic and I think that Trevorrow's script might have done and made more sense in the way he wanted Rey to train new Jedi and close it out that way. Now, you'd have more chance to create a new story-line with some kind of canon behind it from all the 9 movies with loose couplings. Instead, we now have a Palpatine successor as the ward of the Force and to me that never really made any sense either. 

I suppose we can both agree that both scripts were shit in the end though and they really are that way just because the two movies before them were so bad and all over the place that they were never going to afford anything good. Thank god Disney has now decided to use other elements of Star Wars to move forward and leave the Skywalker saga aside. 

• Upvote 1