• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ballon d'Or 2017 - Cristiano Ronaldo Wins

football forum

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

The only thing that makes me doubt whether Messi is the greatest player ever or not is how easy Cristiano Ronaldo scores goals in Spain. I might be over rating Messi if someone little more than a juiced up athlete like Ronaldo can do so well.

:ph34r:

Like Filipe Luis said about a month ago on that...

”Many great defenders have come and gone here in La Liga. Great strikers have scored great goals. Messi and Cristiano have faced many top defenders in their time in La Liga and they’ve scored so many great goals in abundance. Other great strikers have played here in both Messi and Cristiano’s reign in Spain and they’ve only managed to score great goals. The defenders are the same ones”

Aside the fact that Messi tops the charts in goals and assists, let alone the laughable goal convertion rate between the two, in the criteria of this award and what it' been the past ten years, Ronaldo definitely deserves it. Especially over last years 

Deserved win.

He's been the most decisive player, when it has mattered. 

Next year, tie breaker between the two and in 2019 we'll have someone else winning the award (as well as the Fifa award). 

42 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

His interview in the French magazine is one of the cringiest things he's ever done, and that takes some doing. He reminds me of Michael Jackson a little bit, a guy so self absorbed that's it's almost bordering on a personality disorder.

Did he really say he is the greatest of all time? Or was that some made up shit going around social media? 

People talking about a criteria for winning the Ballon d’Or...

Really?

Is there really a criteria, because I’ve never heard of one, ever.

But if people want to speak of hypothetical “criteria” on awards such as this one or any other of a similar nature, then before they go on about trophies won, goals scored or whatever factor that runs through their mind as they start tapping on the keys of their computer, or the make believe ones on their tablet or smartphone... They must understand that one must only go into past winners (including these two) while matching up the corresponding year or season for the eventual award winner.

The truth is there is no criteria! This victory by Cristiano Ronaldo is the most ridiculous one ever handed out and even more so than the Cannavaro one. That’s how far I can go with this and it can easily be matched up by the past. If people complained about Messi’s victory in 2010, then they must be careful in appointing their understanding to this one. 

Yeah it's pointless trying to argue whether it's actually who's the best player in the world, because in that case it should be Messi basically every year, or whether it's to do with being a key player in trophy winning teams, in which case Ribéry should have got it in 2013.

Its a popularity contest, with a load of voters voting for their own reasons.

21 minutes ago, Spike said:

Ngolo Kante has to be one of the most influential and irreplaceable players in the last few years. Real would win without Ronaldo, I don't think the same would have happened for Leicester and Chelsea....

This is why when Leicester City won the Premier League, I said at the time that for me Riyad Mahrez should be amongst the top three Ballon d’Or winners for the year easily. I don’t even have to legitimise that sentiment I had when everything is taken into context because football is a collective sport but there are times, sometimes when one player really does apprise above the rest to make a mark.  Now, obviously Kanté was also an integral part of the mechanics of that team and without him Leicester would almost certainly not have been as competitive as they were. His unselfish form of playing the game makes him the sort of player any football club that wants to compete, needs.  But it’s the fantasy players that then provide the improvisation and the magic to turn the hard workers into Champions. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Criteria is pretty face forward. Score a bunch of goals in April and May and win the CL. They don't care what you do the other months. 

It’s the criteria probably for those that vote in the Solomon Islands and places such as that. But not in any country where football is a part of the culture and landscape of society. The problem is that in latter years there are two phenomenons that didn’t tend to occur too much and are now occurring. One is that people vote for the product which tends to be all powerful and in your face and the other is where the vote has some sort of favoured choice in terms of nationality or club favouritism by the voter.  

But in reality the Ballon d’Or doesn’t set out one single criteria for choice aside from “Who for you has been the best player in the world over the last 12 months?”

That’s not necessarily right. The balon d’or is always going to give preference to those in the limelight, the goal scorers and especially those who deliver on the biggest stage. European and International football tend to be be regarded as the barometer more than league showings, rightly or wrongly.

I don’t think Ronaldo has been the best player over the past 12 months but it’s understandable why he was picked. He was phenomenal on the biggest stages this year. 

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I don’t think Ronaldo has been the best player over the past 12 months but it’s understandable why he was picked. He was phenomenal on the biggest stages this year. 

This is a fair enough comment, but my beef with this is that in 2013, Robben did exactly the same as Ronaldo, he scored important goals in the champs league but was nowhere near the best player in the world over 12 months in all competitions(just like Ronaldo this year), yet Ronaldo, a player who won nothing that year, won the Ballon d'or. Then we look at last year's, the criteria was completely different again.

It seems like the criteria changes whenever he wins it. It's not consistent. Atleast on the 5 occasions when Messi has won it, he has been the best player in the world over that 12 months. The criteria used has been consistent in his case

It's become a daft award anyway, especially with the last 2.

52 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

This is a fair enough comment, but my beef with this is that in 2013, Robben did exactly the same as Ronaldo, he scored important goals in the champs league but was nowhere near the best player in the world over 12 months in all competitions(just like Ronaldo this year), yet Ronaldo, a player who won nothing that year, won the Ballon d'or. Then we look at last year's, the criteria was completely different again.

It seems like the criteria changes whenever he wins it. It's not consistent. Atleast on the 5 occasions when Messi has won it, he has been the best player in the world over that 12 months. The criteria used has been consistent in his case

It's become a daft award anyway, especially with the last 2.

I was going to say that and had it up my sleeve... (I have some others too with other players)

Cristiano Ronaldo won it in 2013 and wasn’t part of a team that won ANYTHING!

THAT Rebel mate, is the proof that this award Goes on how the media and everything that surrounds us wants us to see things, it gets into our brain cells subtly and sometimes more aggressively to make us believe certain things. People think they’re making decisions for themselves based on personal criteria or general, but they’re really not.  Not at all.

Archived