Ballon d'Or 2017 - Cristiano Ronaldo Wins

football forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Stan said:

announced tomorrow.

anyone changed their minds about who might win it?

Before I said Ronaldo was nailed on but didn't deserve it on individualism. My opinion has slightly changed on that. Now I think that he isn't nailed on but he does deserve it. Sure, individually he's been very consistent. More awful than good. However his big game moment goals are the reason Real Madrid won titles last year and I think that needs to be taken into account.

If we're just looking at individual 90 minute performances, Neymar for me pisses over anyone else with only Messi being anywhere near him.

It’s a no brainer that Lionel Messi is the best player in the world and was consistently miles above the rest of the pile for the entire year. But nevertheless, we all know how this works, and we all know that we don’t live in a fair and just world, so it’ll go to Cristiano Ronaldo for having 4 good games for the year.

Boring award, popularity contest even though there is no argue that Messi and Ronaldo are the best players. However a midfielder, defender etc can dream of ever getting this award again. The players who bang the goals in only matter in a game where 11 players play.

39 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Are people seriously suggesting Pogba? He was pretty shite last season and has only looked good this year because of Nemanja Matic, then he got injured. 

United fans are, but apart from them no one really.

We all know this award as much as the FIFA version in its two forms previous to joining with France Football and now since its divorce has had lots of contentious results where the “best player” is selected. This has been the case historically!

The thing is that the Ballon d’Or has now returned to being selected by only coaches and journalists as it used to be years ago and we may not see the results of the return to previous standards this year but I think we may witness this from next year onwards with various types of players playing their trade in other parts of the pitch. 

Messi is the best in the world, but now he has his patchy spells which is why I think Neymar has had a better year.

Ronaldo deserves it despite having an absolutely horrendous year in terms of consistency. The thing is he had consistency when it came to being clutch, just not in individual play.

58 minutes ago, Blue said:

Messi is the best in the world, but now he has his patchy spells which is why I think Neymar has had a better year.

Ronaldo deserves it despite having an absolutely horrendous year in terms of consistency. The thing is he had consistency when it came to being clutch, just not in individual play.

That’s the thing though, his individual performances weren’t all that good at all (not at the standard of the best Cristiano by a long shot) during his short spell scoring goals. The whole thing surrounding Cristiano over the past 15 to 17 months is a fallacy if every I’ve seen one because even in Portugal’s European Championship glory he wasn’t anywhere near the protagonist. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

That’s the thing though, his individual performances weren’t all that good at all (not at the standard of the best Cristiano by a long shot) during his short spell scoring goals. The whole thing surrounding Cristiano over the past 15 to 17 months is a fallacy if every I’ve seen one because even in Portugal’s European Championship glory he wasn’t anywhere near the protagonist. 

If you read back you'll find that's what I said.

Ronaldo has been awful this year but to his credit, he showed up in big moments and won games. He may have not been anywhere near his best and done nothing in build up play or show good individual plays, he was most definitely the protagonist in last years UCL win and just for that, he deserves it.

If we're looking at actually good individual players then Neymar and Messi piss over him, but they didn't help their teams win titles in the same manner Ronaldo did.

45 minutes ago, Blue said:

If you read back you'll find that's what I said.

Ronaldo has been awful this year but to his credit, he showed up in big moments and won games. He may have not been anywhere near his best and done nothing in build up play or show good individual plays, he was most definitely the protagonist in last years UCL win and just for that, he deserves it.

If we're looking at actually good individual players then Neymar and Messi piss over him, but they didn't help their teams win titles in the same manner Ronaldo did.

Football is collective sport and Real Madrid (as well as Portugal) performed as a team because without that he wouldn’t have won jack shit due to the fact he didn’t provide for himself.

It’s infact under your argument that the others deserve it more because the fact they remained competitive when everything around them was failing shows how good they really are.

On the Neymar argument... He had one major stellar performance last season which was against PSG at home... His previous season was better. Again we’re being selective with our assumptions and final conclusions. Whether or not you like and are entertained by Neymar’s style of play is by the by.

I hope that wasn’t too Shakespearean for you mate. 

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Football is collective sport and Real Madrid (as well as Portugal) performed as a team because without that he wouldn’t have won jack shit due to the fact he didn’t provide for himself.

It’s infact under your argument that the others deserve it more because the fact they remained competitive when everything around them was failing shows how good they really are.

On the Neymar argument... He had one major stellar performance last season which was against PSG at home... His previous season was better. Again we’re being selective with our assumptions and final conclusions. Whether or not you like and are entertained by Neymar’s style of play is by the by.

I hope that wasn’t too Shakespearean for you mate. 

Neymar having a better year than Messi is my opinion, so as much as you like Messi you can't change it.

Its true Real Madrid performed as a team and Ronaldo wasn't even the best player last season but he showed up when needed and his goals won his team the title. Its as simple as that. We're not saying "what if Ronaldo wasn't there? It would've been Benzema". We're talking about what actually happened and the fact is he scored those game winning goals.

42 minutes ago, Blue said:

Neymar having a better year than Messi is my opinion, so as much as you like Messi you can't change it.

Its true Real Madrid performed as a team and Ronaldo wasn't even the best player last season but he showed up when needed and his goals won his team the title. Its as simple as that. We're not saying "what if Ronaldo wasn't there? It would've been Benzema". We're talking about what actually happened and the fact is he scored those game winning goals.

So Cristiano wasn’t the best player for his team but he was the best player in the world for the year. Interesting analisis...

• Administrator

29= - Coutinho and Mertens
28 - Edin Dzeko
27 - Mats Hummels
26 - Jan Oblak
25 - Karim Benzema
24 - Radamel Falcao
23 - Sadio Mane
22 - Leonardo Bonucci
21 - Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
20 - David De Gea
19 - Eden Hazard
18 - Antoin Griezmann
17 - Toni Kroos
16 - Marcelo
15 - Paulo Dybala

Just now, SirBalon said:

So Cristiano wasn’t the best player for his team but he was the best player in the world for the year. Interesting analisis...

That wasn't the point. The Ballon D'or for me isn't the best player in the world, no matter how much they want you to believe that.

For me, it was most influential accompanied by a high level.  Ronaldo didn't win a mickey mouse cup or anything, he won La Liga and the UCL. 

Messi and Neymar were far better than Ronaldo, but what did that amount to in the end?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Blue said:

That wasn't the point. The Ballon D'or for me isn't the best player in the world, no matter how much they want you to believe that.

For me, it was most influential accompanied by a high level.  Ronaldo didn't win a mickey mouse cup or anything, he won La Liga and the UCL. 

Messi and Neymar were far better than Ronaldo, but what did that amount to in the end?

that's your interpretation of it.

it's best player. End of. 

• The title was changed to Ballon d'Or 2017 - Cristiano Ronaldo Wins

Archived