talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

I do think Choudhury is likely to be punished soon but I also think he's been a bit unlucky as well. The Salah one wasn't an attempt to injure him - it was the standard cynical foul you see in the majorty of games, and it wasn't the first in that game either, Liverpool were just as guilty.

The Ritchie one Stan basically covers.

The Bamba one is the really reckless one, I do think it was a genuine attempt to play the ball but it was a terrible challenge really. It was a desperate attempt to recover a situation gone totally wrong.

As for our style Stan again basically covers it - he has time and time again stuck Maddison out wide and the results of this tell you everything you need to know, I'm pretty sure Vardy has 1 goal from this set up and about 12 from the other.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Would be a good signing for any club playing attacking football.

Would be a very good signing for Leicester.

11 hours ago, Stan said:

In his position at Ajax I don't get why you'd leave them for us though... 

The scouts are apparently a bit annoyed at Rodgers as they could've had him in the summer for £30mil but he wanted Perez instead. I'm not writing Perez off by any means but what was he thinking if that's true.

Ziyech seems to play on the right for Ajax but drifts inside. Bit like Mahrez really.

This will cost us something like £50mil I reckon. It'll be loads.

19 minutes ago, Dan said:

The scouts are apparently a bit annoyed at Rodgers as they could've had him in the summer for £30mil but he wanted Perez instead. I'm not writing Perez off by any means but what was he thinking if that's true.

That sounds like Rodgers xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

@Stan@Dan, your thoughts? It's early days yet but Rogers worked well with Celtic and he does have that Scottish title and cup success in his blood and he would like more I reckon, plain Alex Ferguson arrived at OT and also had success in Scotland with Aberdeen and then at United, could Rogers do the same?

Quote.thumb.png.f547281f8be8f4b7aca722beacfa5f81.png

Leicester City: Are Rodgers' side better than Ranieri's title winners?

Leicester near the top of the Premier League table. Where have we heard that one before?

Brendan Rodgers' Foxes have had a flying start to the season - sitting third after 10 games - and it is bringing back memories of their famous title-winning season under Claudio Ranieri in 2015-16.

By most metrics, they are better now than they were at the same stage that season.

So how do the two teams compare? And could Leicester actually challenge for this year's title?

A better start than their title-winning season

_109464599_2015.png

FULL REPORT

• Administrator

It's an interesting one. That side a few years ago were incredibly organised and defensively well structured. Solid as a rock. Huth and Morgan were immovable at times. 

This current side attacks so freely and fluidly and it's what I've always wanted to see in a side. I'd say we're more polished as a unit with this side - every player playing to their strengths. We play a better passing game and we're not a counter-attacking side any more. We're more patient but when we get going it's almost frightening how efficient we can be going forward. 

We would utilise Vardy's pace more back then whereas now, although he's still rapid, we have to be more cautious with him and it's not always knock the ball over the top and let him run on to it. He's actually such a prolific finisher and not just a pace merchant. 

The other player that almost goes under the radar right now is Wilfred Ndidi. Ball winner in defensive midfield who's come on leaps and bounds especially this season. His passing has improved but have seen a stat earlier today that since he joined the club, he has made more tackles than any one in the league including Gueye and Kante who obviously come with their excellent reputation and tackling credentials. 

If you place the teams up against each other I think the current side wins. Narrowly. 

• Subscriber

The thing that gets me most about them is how stylistically different they are as teams. They really couldn't play any differently to each other.

I think this side has more talented players but that title winning side showed a steel that was frankly extraordinary in football. There's been a lot of revisionism about that side since it happened and it's mainly negative. It was such a well balanced side.

I do however think that this group of players will probably go on to achieve more in their careers than that group did. It's easy to forget how young this group of players is. Tielemans 22, Maddison 22, Barnes 21, Ndidi 22, Chilwell 22, Soyuncu 23 - for all the talk of Chelsea's youngsters our average age I bet is lower. It's probably the most exciting, most valuable squad we have ever had.

We are in such a good place it's unbelievable really. I love a moan but I feel genuinely lucky to support us. We're a provincial club that has cleverly worked its way into something better, and I don't think we're finished at all. There's genuine ambition at this club and I know no other way of how it should be.

Edited by Dan

I think the current side is better than the title winning side. I don't know if they'll win the title, but they're already certainly in contention only 8 points behind with most of the season to go. Think they've got a decent chance tbh, if Slave Trader FC drop more points before January and they spend Abu Dhabi's GDP on new defenders & assuming we drop points soon, which I think is likely considering the fixture congestion we're facing, they should be right in the mix. Might actually be another perfect storm for them tbh.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the current side is better than the title winning side. I don't know if they'll win the title, but they're already certainly in contention only 8 points behind with most of the season to go. Think they've got a decent chance tbh, if Slave Trader FC drop more points before January and they spend Abu Dhabi's GDP on new defenders & assuming we drop points soon, which I think is likely considering the fixture congestion we're facing, they should be right in the mix. Might actually be another perfect storm for them tbh.

The thought did come into my head but while I think the whole rhetoric about us playing a league against a load of rubbish that season is unfair, it's true that there was nothing like this Liverpool side or this Man City side.

I've got my belief back about us though. I feel even if Man City or Liverpool came here we'd have a chance of getting something. That's quite a difference from a year ago where we'd rock up and drop points to any old dross at home.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.c9052b3fdc6997a995e07a6465456681.png

Leicester City: Fan who won 5,000-1 title bet backs Foxes again

A fan whose bet netted him £20,000 when Leicester City won the Premier League as 5,000-1 outsiders has backed them to win the title again this season.

But this time Leigh Herbert had to make do with "measly" odds of 300-1 on the Foxes to repeat their fairytale triumph of three years ago.

Herbert, 41, believes the current squad - currently fourth in the table - is at least as good as the one that triumphed in 2016.

"Liverpool or Man City might prove to be too strong for us, but you never know," carpenter Herbert told BBC Sport.

"There's definitely the same kind of buzz around Leicester."

Leicester needs to win at Crystal Palace to stay within eight points of leaders Liverpool.

Herbert, who went to his first Foxes game aged 10, says the last few years have been "an incredible rollercoaster".

Leicester finished 14th in their first season back in the top flight in 2015 and then won the league under Claudio Ranieri the following year.

Ranieri left after a poor start to the next campaign and was followed by Craig Shakespeare and Claude Puel before Brendan Rodgers' arrival in February heralded a revival.

Last month, the Foxes stormed to a record 9-0 away win at Southampton in the week they marked the anniversary of the death of owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha in a helicopter crash.

"It's been an absolute rollercoaster of emotions over the last few years. There have been some massive ups and the lowest downs," said Herbert.

"Vichai came in and had a vision for the football club, and did so much for the city through charity work. What happened last year was absolutely devastating."

'Leicester fans are loving the team'

Four years ago, Herbert put a fiver on the Foxes at 5,000-1 in pre-season after a few drinks on holiday in Newquay, Cornwall. He cashed out some of the wager but collected the rest.

"I was going to put a deposit on a house but in the end, it became quite stressful waiting to see what would happen, so we decided to just enjoy it," he said.

"I bought my missus a car and went on a big holiday."

Before this season started he placed £30 in bets on Leicester - £10 at both 300-1 and 250-1 to win the league, and another tenner on them finishing in the top four and top six.

"I'd probably get about £7,500 if they finished top, but as a Leicester fan - even if I hadn't had a penny on it - I would be just as happy that we'd won the Premier League," he said.

"Leicester fans are loving the team under Brendan Rodgers. We lost some key players since winning the title but have made some unbelievable signings."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50251469

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.37d2560295511191c77216fde3f8d177.png

Brendan Rodgers: Leicester boss only focused on Foxes following Tottenham link

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers said he has never considered leaving the club following reports he was wanted by Tottenham to replace Mauricio Pochettino.

Spurs appointed Jose Mourinho as Pochettino's successor on Wednesday.

However, it had been claimed that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy had first made an enquiry about Rodgers' availability.

"There is nothing to talk about on it," the ex-Liverpool manager said.

"The only thing I will say is I was very happy here at Leicester, I've literally just joined the club in February.

"Everything has been great since we've been in. We have a project here that we want to develop over the next number of years."

Rodgers has had an impressive impact on the Foxes since arriving from Celtic, with the club currently sat second in the Premier League.

He added: "What happens in football now is that if you go through times when you're doing well and you work well, everyone wants to take you away from that.

"I'm very happy in my professional life. I'm very happy in my life personally in Leicestershire, it's a great place to live and work and we have created a real unity here at the club.

"In my time here that is what I'll aim to do. How long that will be you can never tell but I am very happy to be here."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50509943

Wtf is he talking about lol. I don't think Spurs were ever in for him for a second - they sacked Poch and promptly went for Mourinho.

Granted, this is the man who said that Milner joined his Liverpool side "because he wanted to win the Champions League" - and it's all well and good saying that after we've just won the Champions League with Milner and we're about to play Leicester... other than the fact that when Milner joined us, Rodgers had fucking ruined the side and we were total dogshit and nowhere near being a Champions League winning side.

He's a man of baffling media quotes.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wtf is he talking about lol. I don't think Spurs were ever in for him for a second - they sacked Poch and promptly went for Mourinho.

Granted, this is the man who said that Milner joined his Liverpool side "because he wanted to win the Champions League" - and it's all well and good saying that after we've just won the Champions League with Milner and we're about to play Leicester... other than the fact that when Milner joined us, Rodgers had fucking ruined the side and we were total dogshit and nowhere near being a Champions League winning side.

Spurs made an approach.

We told them to do one. 

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Spurs made an approach.

We told them to do one. 

I honestly doubt the fuck out of that. Levy is notoriously cheap - he's just spent a lot of money sacking Poch. He's also going to have to pay a new manager. Mourinho's got the better pedigree and was unattached to any side since being sacked last year - and literally hours after the Poch sacking we heard rumours hat Levy and Mourinho's agents were in talks and a deal was "close." I can't imagine him spending all that money to sack Poch, then being willing to pay Leicester for their manager, then giving Rodgers what would likely be a big pay rise for him.

I also imagine if any club came in for Rodgers right now, he'd tell them to wait until the end of the season. Top 4 with Leicester will look good on his CV.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dont see what hes said wrong? He was asked if hed been aproached by Spurs and he replied " theres nothing to say about it". He then went on to wax lyrical about Leicester. 

What exactly did he say to make you say "what the fuck is he talking about"?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I honestly doubt the fuck out of that. Levy is notoriously cheap - he's just spent a lot of money sacking Poch. He's also going to have to pay a new manager. Mourinho's got the better pedigree and was unattached to any side since being sacked last year - and literally hours after the Poch sacking we heard rumours hat Levy and Mourinho's agents were in talks and a deal was "close." I can't imagine him spending all that money to sack Poch, then being willing to pay Leicester for their manager, then giving Rodgers what would likely be a big pay rise for him.

I also imagine if any club came in for Rodgers right now, he'd tell them to wait until the end of the season. Top 4 with Leicester will look good on his CV.

Notoriously cheap but just forked out to pay Mourinho about £15m/year if some reports are to go by?!

If other reports are to go by, Spurs had been looking for up to a month to replace Pochettino.

I don't get why it's so outlandish to want a manager at a club and for that club to say 'nah, go look for someone else'. 

I really don't see the problem with the Rodgers quotes either. It's quite obvious he's been asked about the Spurs links. It's not like he's just started a press conference with those quotes xD 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Dont see what hes said wrong? He was asked if hed been aproached by Spurs and he replied " theres nothing to say about it". He then went on to wax lyrical about Leicester. 

What exactly did he say to make you say "what the fuck is he talking about"?

I think he's just bullshitting that he was in contention for the job, because he's Rodgers and he likes to big himself up every chance he gets

• Administrator
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he's just bullshitting that he was in contention for the job, because he's Rodgers and he likes to big himself up every chance he gets

But he literally said 'there's nothing to talk about it'.

Where does he say he was in contention for it xD 

Just now, Stan said:

But he literally said 'there's nothing to talk about it'.

Where does he say he was in contention for it xD 

He's talking about how great he and Leicester are, instead of just saying "there's nothing to talk about it". I get it, you both like Rodgers and I fucking hate the cunt, so you're going to see it differently to me.