talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City Discussion

football forum

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

In terms of the current squads nothing. In terms of prestige, money, location and potential they top Leicester. 

Can they? Leicester have won a league title recently and if they get Champions League football then I don’t see how Arsenal are the bigger draw, especially with the money that will bring into the club.

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

Can they? Leicester have won a league title recently and if they get Champions League football then I don’t see how Arsenal are the bigger draw, especially with the money that will bring into the club.

Look, I prefer Leicester much more than Arsenal but come on, in terms of size, Arsenal dwarfs Leicester. Everyone knows that mate. 

You are right what you're saying in that Leicester (at this moment in time) are in a way better position. But if Rodgers feels he can do a similar job at Arsenal then his resources and potential will be much higher, and he will know that. Only last season Arsenal finished 18 points above Leicester.

Arsenal are just a bigger club, theres no denying that. That is a big draw for managers. As I said though, I hope Rodgers stays put because I like him as a manager, I like Leicester as a club and I think hes doing a great job.

Edited by LFCMadLad

4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I love these conversations. If it was United, bet your bottom dollar the rhetoric would be ‘United are shit and aren’t big anymore’ xD

United are shit but they are still a massive club. I'd say exactly the same thing. The prestige and potential at either Utd or Arsenal is much higher than Leicester. Do you not agree? 

Edited by LFCMadLad

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'd say exactly the same thing. The prestige and potential at either Utd or Arsenal is much higher than Leicester. Do you not agree? 

Whilst I agree, it’s very much like players. People would say ‘he’s only going to United for the money’ etc, just look at Maguire. Arsenal haven’t been relevant for over 10 years now, whilst it’s been maybe 3 for us (I’d say winning the second euro comp kept us relevant as such). 

I was being somewhat facetious to be fair.

20 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Whilst I agree, it’s very much like players. People would say ‘he’s only going to United for the money’ etc, just look at Maguire. Arsenal haven’t been relevant for over 10 years now, whilst it’s been maybe 3 for us (I’d say winning the second euro comp kept us relevant as such). 

I was being somewhat facetious to be fair.

I dont think its necessarily about the money (although that's nice 😁), I just think if a player or manager had a choice to join either Manchester United or Arsenal over Leicester.. they'd probably choose the former two. 

Look, Arsenal and Utd have been totally mis-managed over the last few years but let's not kid ourselves here. If either get a proper manager in like Klopp or Pep etc, then they will be massive forces again. 

I take the piss about Utd mate because I took it for over 20 years from you shower of shits, now it's my turn. But I'm in no doubt whatsoever that the potential of your club is still one of the biggest in world football. 

Edited by LFCMadLad
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Look, I prefer Leicester much more than Arsenal but come on, in terms of size, Arsenal dwarfs Leicester. Everyone knows that mate. 

You are right what you're saying in that Leicester (at this moment in time) are in a way better position. But if Rodgers feels he can do a similar job at Arsenal then his resources and potential will be much higher, and he will know that. Only last season Arsenal finished 18 points above Leicester.

Arsenal are just a bigger club, theres no denying that. That is a big draw for managers. As I said though, I hope Rodgers stays put because I like him as a manager, I like Leicester as a club and I think hes doing a great job.

I’m not saying he’d never go...but Arsenal are hardly renowned for spending big and Leicester look on course to secure Champions League money. On top of that Leicester have a team Arsenal can only dream of right now.

If United were calling for Rodgers or even Chelsea I’d get it, but unless Arsenal are promising big money then I don’t see the attraction over Leicester personally 

56 minutes ago, Danny said:

I’m not saying he’d never go...but Arsenal are hardly renowned for spending big and Leicester look on course to secure Champions League money. On top of that Leicester have a team Arsenal can only dream of right now.

If United were calling for Rodgers or even Chelsea I’d get it, but unless Arsenal are promising big money then I don’t see the attraction over Leicester personally 

Arsenal dont spend big? xD

They just spent £80m on Pepe. They spent £50 on Ozil.

This past summer £25m on Tierney, £27m on Saliba. 

£137m there or there abouts this past summer alone. 

It's a myth that Arsenal dont spend. We spend much less than them and so do Leicester.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Arsenal would be giving him big money because they’re one of the big clubs in England.

24 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Arsenal dont spend big? xD

They just spent £80m on Pepe. They spent £50 on Ozil.

This past summer £25m on Tierney, £27m on Saliba. 

£137m there or there abouts this past summer alone. 

It's a myth that Arsenal dont spend. We spend much less than them and so do Leicester.

In comparison to the actual big spenders in the division not really (City, Chelsea, United), in comparison to Leicester over the past 3-4 years of course they have. My point is that with Champions League money on top of PL there is no reason why Leicester can’t spend upto £130m next Summer (seeing as they’ve just spent around £90m this past Summer) which is where Arsenal’s financial limits have been in comparison to the clubs that can blow them out of the water (City, Chelsea and United)

28 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Arsenal would be giving him big money because they’re one of the big clubs in England.

But they don’t give out big money like City or Chelsea...I don’t see why Leicester can’t spend what Arsenal do if they get Champions League money as well as Prem

Just now, Danny said:

But they don’t give out big money like City or Chelsea...I don’t see why Leicester can’t spend what Arsenal do if they get Champions League money as well as Prem

Most clubs don’t give out the money that City and Chelsea or any oil club do? 

Do you think Emery was on less than Rodgers? And you saw how much Arsenal spent over the summer?

It’s Arsenal, they’ve been shit by their standards for 10 years and they’ve still had a better time in those 10 years than most clubs in the country.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Most clubs don’t give out the money that City and Chelsea or any oil club do? 

Do you think Emery was on less than Rodgers? And you saw how much Arsenal spent over the summer?

It’s Arsenal, they’ve been shit by their standards for 10 years and they’ve still had a better time in those 10 years than most clubs in the country.

Mate I dunno what you’re arguing about but all I’m saying is Leicester will be able to spend as much as Arsenal if they finish top 4. For clarity I pointed out City and Chelsea as big spenders so no one would get hung up on terminology.

If Arsenal can suddenly pull out that sort of money then fair play, that’s a big pull. But as it is, if Leicester finish top 4 I don’t see why they can’t spend as much as Arsenal have...which btw is about £40m more than they spent last summer 

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Mate I dunno what you’re arguing about but all I’m saying is Leicester will be able to spend as much as Arsenal if they finish top 4. For clarity I pointed out City and Chelsea as big spenders so no one would get hung up on terminology.

If Arsenal can suddenly pull out that sort of money then fair play, that’s a big pull. But as it is, if Leicester finish top 4 I don’t see why they can’t spend as much as Arsenal have...which btw is about £40m more than they spent last summer 

I think Leicester would spend more, but I don’t think you can expect them to start spending like CL regulars just because they qualified for the CL.

Leicester have shown they will spend well if they can sustain it, so of course they would spend more. But like when Spurs first hit the CL, I don’t think we would see a radical change in spending.

Arsenal will always have cash to burn as one of the big clubs in England. They can’t burn as much as the oil clubs, sure - because they’re a real football club not a rich man’s plaything or a questionable governments propaganda machine - and I think they’ll always be a fairly attractive prospect for a manager like Brendan Rodgers.

Having said that, I think he stays til the end of the season because whatever happens this year with Leicester I think he’s going to come off looking really good. It’s a good year for his CV - and then he’s in a good spot to demand more from Leicester or demand more from a new club that can promise him money to burn and massive wages

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Money isnt just about transfers mate. Arsenal can without a doubt offer Rodgers more money in wages, location wise North London is probably more desirable than Leicester for most people with plenty of money (not myself fyi because I hate London). Arsenal are also just a bigger club in general, that's obvious to anyone. 

I really dont get your arguement? I've said I really hope Rodgers stays at Leicester because for one hes doing a great job and for two, I prefer Leicester to Arsenal. 

But if you think a manager wouldn't swap Leicester for Arsenal then you're bonkers xD

33 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Money isnt just about transfers mate. Arsenal can without a doubt offer Rodgers more money in wages, location wise North London is probably more desirable than Leicester for most people with plenty of money (not myself fyi because I hate London). Arsenal are also just a bigger club in general, that's obvious to anyone. 

I really dont get your arguement? I've said I really hope Rodgers stays at Leicester because for one hes doing a great job and for two, I prefer Leicester to Arsenal. 

But if you think a manager wouldn't swap Leicester for Arsenal then you're bonkers xD

Mate good managers don’t choose a club based on where they’re living otherwise Klopp woulda chose Spain over Liverpool 😂

Leicester in their current state are in a much better condition than Arsenal and if they get CL football then they’ll have enough money to compete with Arsenal imo. Not saying Rodgers wouldn’t choose Arsenal over Leicester, just that in their current conditions Leicester are as much as a pull for Rodgers to stay

• Subscriber

There are very few circumstances where I think a manager has a legitimate reason to turn down Arsenal to stay at Leicester. This current however is one of them. If Rodgers goes to Arsenal and fails, he could be done at any decent sized club in this country. His reputation post Liverpool was hardly the greatest (we got some stick ourselves for appointing him) so to go to Arsenal and not deliver, which you've got to say is very possible given what a rebuild they need, it would be a big risk.

You've got a lot to lose leaving Leicester. What we are not is a massive club or a massive name. But when you weigh up what you do actually get at Leicester - it's a really good job. You get an excellent owner that will back you, you've got a fanbase that, while there aren't no expectations, they pale into insignificance compared to somewhere like Arsenal. You've got a very good squad already in place, loads of really good young players tied down for years - something that gives Leicester a lot of security going forwards as we've now got the power to get big money for them. This is a club going in the right direction for sure. It's a really nice set of circumstances for any manager, and I think Rodgers knows that.

Rodgers doesn't have to chuck everything away here for a rebuild needing Arsenal. What does he realistically expect to do there in the next 2/3 years that he's not going to do here this year? We've got every chance of making the top 4 this year. What are Arsenal going to do that's better than that? Does he think he could win them a title, or a European trophy?

If this was Man City or Liverpool, I'd totally get it. Arsenal? I think you're on a hiding to nothing.

Rodgers has got 20+ years left in management if he wants it. If he gets Leicester into the top 4, he could have a far better offer than Arsenal come in for him. There's a reason Arsenal ended up with Emery.

If Arsenal got their act together, put in a proper recruitment structure and invested in quality young players, I think the appeal becomes instantly significant. For now though? Poisoned chalice. He'd be making a mistake going there.

• Upvote 2

I doubt he will ever get a better offer than Arsenal personally, though I doubt they'd want him either. He's never going to be Liverpool, Man City or Man Utd. Arsenal or Chelsea is his ceiling for life now. 

That means it is all about timing. If Arsenal came in and he didn't take it, in all probability by the time Arsenal became available again he probably wouldn't be flavour of the month.

• Administrator

Can the media stop being cunts now and stop touting him to a job that, right now, he'd be foolish to go to?

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers: "I have a contract here until 2022. Thus far, I know managers are losing their jobs, the club have not indicated to me that they are going to sack me. I am very happy so would have no need to look elsewhere.

"Why would I want to leave Leicester City at this time? I am working with a group of players who have so much potential. I gave an honest answer about how all managers have some sort of clause in their contracts and suddenly that seems to have thrown a door wide open.

"For me I repeat, I am happy here. Very happy here. I feel I want to continue with that. Take from that what you want.”