• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City Discussion

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 27/10/2020 at 07:37, Stan said:

2 years since the helicopter crash :(

Gone so quickly. RIP VIchai and to the 4 others who sadly passed away that day. 

Was so surreal. Can't believe it's already been two years. You never imagine anything like it will happen to your own club.

The tributes from the other clubs and fans does stick in my head.

• Administrator

Our injury list gets worse. 

Castagne will miss Leeds and Wolves games at a minimum, out until after the international break. 

Adds to Soyuncu, Ndidi, Pereira and also Evans with a potential back injury as well. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Christ you lot have been dealt a shitty blow. Dreading the next international break.

Something must be happening in training which is affecting the squad. Not just little niggles either, players out for weeks at a time. 

Wonder if it's the lack of pre season but also being worked too hard perhaps? 

Not sure what the injuries record was like at Celtic or Liverpool when Rodgers was there...

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Something must be happening in training which is affecting the squad. Not just little niggles either, players out for weeks at a time. 

Not sure what the injuries record was like at Celtic or Liverpool when Rodgers was there...

Think its the bold. Lampard in his presser earlier indicated they are being wary of their training schedule given the congested fixtures. Focusing more on rest/recovery vs actual training. 

Add the bloody internationals into the equation, muscular injuries are prone to occur. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

It never seemed that bad, but looking back there was Sturridge, Agger and José Enrique all missing a lot of time. Not sure how much of that you can blame on Rodgers though

I think it's the lack of preseason plus the fact we're straight into 3 games a week. Usually you get a few weeks to ease you in before European competition kicks in, whereas this year those weeks were taken up by the league cup

34 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Think its the bold. Lampard in his presser earlier indicated they are being wary of their training schedule given the congested fixtures. Focusing more on rest/recovery vs actual training. 

Add the bloody internationals into the equation, muscular injuries are prone to occur. 

Klopp has taken the same route by all accounts.

We've still been hit very hard so far this season though... Mane, Keita & Thiago all got Covid, Matip, Henderson & Keita & Allison all got injuries during training and we've obviously lost both Thiago and VVD through absolutely horrendous tackles during a game.

23 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Klopp has taken the same route by all accounts.

We've still been hit very hard so far this season though... Mane, Keita & Thiago all got Covid, Matip, Henderson & Keita & Allison all got injuries during training and we've obviously lost both Thiago and VVD through absolutely horrendous tackles during a game.

That's right. Injuries alone are bad enough. We also have to worry about no one contracting COVID. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Yeah the 3-game international breaks are pissing me off. Totally needless and harsh on the players as well given the lack of pre-season.

Gonna suffer some kind of burnout by the summer or during next season too.

On 29/10/2020 at 13:05, Stan said:

Yeah the 3-game international breaks are pissing me off. Totally needless and harsh on the players as well given the lack of pre-season.

Gonna suffer some kind of burnout by the summer or during next season too.

I think muscular injuries among English players are way up at this point in the season. Interestingly enough, leagues with 5 substitutions have had less muscular injuries.

I don’t think clubs in England can complain too much about injuries that haven’t been caused by dangerous/violent opposition players. They knew there was a short pre-season, with not enough of a rest, they saw FIFA’s plans for internationals, and then they voted to keep 3 subs.

Simple truth is the league should do more to protect its players. But they really aren’t too interested in that (maybe if a key England international gets badly hurt or burns out early this season and is outspoken about it).

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think muscular injuries among English players are way up at this point in the season. Interestingly enough, leagues with 5 substitutions have had less muscular injuries.

I don’t think clubs in England can complain too much about injuries that haven’t been caused by dangerous/violent opposition players. They knew there was a short pre-season, with not enough of a rest, they saw FIFA’s plans for internationals, and then they voted to keep 3 subs.

Simple truth is the league should do more to protect its players. But they really aren’t too interested in that (maybe if a key England international gets badly hurt or burns out early this season and is outspoken about it).

That quite obviously favours the bigger clubs though with bigger quality squads and better players to call up on...

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

That quite obviously favours the bigger clubs though with bigger quality squads and better players to call up on...

Weird how in Germany only the massive club there voted against it, though?

Tbh more clubs having more injuries is a bigger advantage to big clubs than smaller clubs. If City lose a player, they’ve already got a second first team that could come in the top 10 as backups. Meanwhile if Villa lose Grealish they probably just get relegated.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Weird how in Germany only the massive club there voted against it, though?

Tbh more clubs having more injuries is a bigger advantage to big clubs than smaller clubs. If City lose a player, they’ve already got a second first team that could come in the top 10 as backups. Meanwhile if Villa lose Grealish they probably just get relegated.

Precisely proving my point, really :D. They have a bigger pool of talent to rely on if extra subs are/were allowed...

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Precisely proving my point, really :D. They have a bigger pool of talent to rely on if extra subs are/were allowed...

They’ve got a bigger advantage in a season with 3 subs and a shitload more injuries than normal.

I wouldn’t get too upset about burnout, the clubs took a calculated risk and decided that they’d risk burning players out this season.

The people that should be upset are the players. Not the fans who supported their clubs decision to take that risk

If you want to be upset with anyone @Stan & @Dan with these injuries... is Rodgers rotating players right now?

I ask because Klopp’s already done quite a bit of chopping and changing to the side (even without injuries) to try to give players because this season should be expected to be particularly brutal.

Every manager knew the rules going into the season. And really they’re the ones in charge of protecting their players, and they can’t even expect referees to help them in that regard.

Any manager not rotating players this season is going to see loads of injuries. I think every side this season is going to see loads of injuries tbh, so it’s something managers need to... manage.

... and obviously managers at big clubs and rich clubs are going to have the advantage with rotation as well.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If you want to be upset with anyone @Stan & @Dan with these injuries... is Rodgers rotating players right now?

I ask because Klopp’s already done quite a bit of chopping and changing to the side (even without injuries) to try to give players because this season should be expected to be particularly brutal.

Every manager knew the rules going into the season. And really they’re the ones in charge of protecting their players, and they can’t even expect referees to help them in that regard.

Any manager not rotating players this season is going to see loads of injuries. I think every side this season is going to see loads of injuries tbh, so it’s something managers need to... manage.

... and obviously managers at big clubs and rich clubs are going to have the advantage with rotation as well.

We've been forced in to it.

Pereira was of course already injured.
Ndidi then out for 12 weeks from Sept.
Soyuncu out til Jan after injury on international duty.
Castagne now out for a few weeks after a hamstring injury.
Maddison returned after injury against Man City then picked up another one.
Vardy was out injured for a week or 2. 
Evans was injured, didn't play any games before the last international break, then played 3 internationals somehow. 

Ideal situation we'd have loved to have the option of rotation through choice. Quite simply, we haven't been able to. They've pretty much all been enforced. 

All well and good to talk about protecting players and I'm sure every manager has the wellbeing of their own players as one of the top priorities. But with shorter pre-seasons and regular influx of games, plus the most stupid decision to add an international game in the international break hasn't helped anyone, I don't think. So yeah managers need to manage but the demand on them/players could have been eased. 5 subs wasn't the only answer. 

Just now, Stan said:

We've been forced in to it.

Pereira was of course already injured.
Ndidi then out for 12 weeks from Sept.
Soyuncu out til Jan after injury on international duty.
Castagne now out for a few weeks after a hamstring injury.
Maddison returned after injury against Man City then picked up another one.
Vardy was out injured for a week or 2. 
Evans was injured, didn't play any games before the last international break, then played 3 internationals somehow. 

Ideal situation we'd have loved to have the option of rotation through choice. Quite simply, we haven't been able to. They've pretty much all been enforced. 

All well and good to talk about protecting players and I'm sure every manager has the wellbeing of their own players as one of the top priorities. But with shorter pre-seasons and regular influx of games, plus the most stupid decision to add an international game in the international break hasn't helped anyone, I don't think. So yeah managers need to manage but the demand on them/players could have been eased. 5 subs wasn't the only answer. 

Tbh I think International football and even the CL/EL this season are reckless and stupid decisions.

But we knew FIFA/UEFA aren’t going to give up their money spinners. Especially not in a pandemic where they’ve lost money too. So the fact they pushed for the reckless and stupid decisions should be a surprise to nobody.

5 subs might not have been the only answer on paper. But when faced with UEFA and FIFA insisting they don’t give a fuck about whether players get covid, it was probably the really only realistic option to help managers manage this situation.

But we said no to that and made the job harder for all the managers. We all can assume more players will get injured, and injuries will happen more frequently this season... so it’s just something Rodgers and every other manager in England needs to deal with. Doesn’t really matter if their squads are equipped for it - but bigger (and richer) clubs still have an advantage. I think a bigger advantage tbh, but there’s no way we’ll ever prove it.

• Subscriber

Echo what Stan said that we've been forced into it really, you can't even draw any conclusions from most teams we name because we seem to have a minimum of 4 players out at a time. If we get a win tonight we've had a quite remarkable start really, I know it's a tight table but if we end up 2nd, with 100% in Europe, despite this many missing we've done very well.

Big question on how sustainable it is mind you. We got rid of our long term physio in the summer. It's hard to tell if it's a direct link to this but it felt to me a bit of a cop out from Rodgers, deflecting from the errors he'd made himself. We were always likely to have problems this season but it's how early they've started that concerns me. I feel like we're not going to name a first XI all season. We always used to be really good for lack of injury issues as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I think only myself & @Dan would care but Ricardo Pereira is back playing football again after doing his ACL in in March vs Villa. Playing for the u23s tonight.

Very happy with this and can't wait to have him back playing for us :D 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think only myself & @Dan would care but Ricardo Pereira is back playing football again after doing his ACL in in March vs Villa. Playing for the u23s tonight.

Very happy with this and can't wait to have him back playing for us :D 

I hope he’s just as good as he was before the injury. Because imo he and Trent are the 2 best RBs in England, as long as he’s just as good as he was before.

• Administrator
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope he’s just as good as he was before the injury. Because imo he and Trent are the 2 best RBs in England, as long as he’s just as good as he was before.

They both were a class above anyone else in the league. Game-changers, pretty much. 

• Subscriber

Really, really hope he's back to what he was like beforehand. He really was superb.

Castagne, Ricardo and Justin is a steady selection of full backs. Thought Justin was about the only player to come out of yesterday with any credit. Albrighton's out of his depth in games like that now.