talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City Discussion

football forum

On 21/05/2021 at 11:21, Stan said:

Morgan retiring, Fuchs & James leaving at end of the season.

Wes Morgan goes down as a club legend. Signed in 2012, was instrumental for us in promotion, title-season with Huth next to him, and now can retire as an FA Cup winner, too. Fuchs also played a big part in 2016 too. Great signing. Combined fee for £1m. Bargains considering what they gave back to the club, too. 

First saw Wes Morgan on an FM 2008 save. Thought it was completely unrealistic how a fat fucker could guide Forest from League One to The Championship playoffs. If only I knew then what I know now.

These last two seasons have been weird for Leicester, nobody expected them to compete at the levels they have. Two consecutive challenges for top 4 and an FA Cup win is undoubtedly a massive achievement, especially after the years under Puel and after the title win.

Leicester are also competing with massive finances, Chelsea just whacked out £200m no problem with the wages to go with it. Liverpool’s team cost about half a billion, these are the margins Leicester are having to compete with now and unlike Spurs a few years ago they have no world class academy product who will happily turn big clubs down to propel them up the league. It’s difficult.

No question there is an element of bottling it, I don’t like the phrase as it’s so overused and reduces conversation to stupidity, but the drop off last season and not being able to beat a Ryan Mason managed Spurs highlights inadequacies. Fortunately an FA Cup win is big for the club and a big experience for the players, no doubt they will lose some in the Summer, most likely one, two or all of Ndidi, Tielemans and Ricardo. But if they keep the squad together, reinvest, bring in another striker, then I don’t see why they can’t have another go next season.

Brendan Rodgers has hit the nail on the head, his job is not to win the league and secure top 4, his job was to disrupt the top 6 and he’s done that. Leicester are in the conversation now, next they need to look at a way of breaking in to the top 4 and that will be tricky but if they can keep this side together and invest then I don’t see why that can’t be something that happens in the future.

I do think the Prem will be very tough next season and very competitive; City have just found a method to win for the next couple years it seems, United are on the up, Liverpool will have Van Dijk back and are out of that bad run and Chelsea will have a full Summer under Tuchel. It could end up being a proper old school top 4 year.

I think Leicester can enjoy themselves with how the season panned out, but on a financial standpoint, missing out on the CL in back to back seasons will harm them in my opinion. That's €150 million of potential revenue gone. Revenue that would've allowed them to help cement their place as a Top 4 side given their efficient recruitment process. Finding an adequate Vardy replacement and strength in depth is all they need. Qualifying for the CL season after season would grant them this and most importantly, help match wages. 

Edited by Cicero

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Danny said:

These last two seasons have been weird for Leicester, nobody expected them to compete at the levels they have. Two consecutive challenges for top 4 and an FA Cup win is undoubtedly a massive achievement, especially after the years under Puel and after the title win.

Leicester are also competing with massive finances, Chelsea just whacked out £200m no problem with the wages to go with it. Liverpool’s team cost about half a billion, these are the margins Leicester are having to compete with now and unlike Spurs a few years ago they have no world class academy product who will happily turn big clubs down to propel them up the league. It’s difficult.

No question there is an element of bottling it, I don’t like the phrase as it’s so overused and reduces conversation to stupidity, but the drop off last season and not being able to beat a Ryan Mason managed Spurs highlights inadequacies. Fortunately an FA Cup win is big for the club and a big experience for the players, no doubt they will lose some in the Summer, most likely one, two or all of Ndidi, Tielemans and Ricardo. But if they keep the squad together, reinvest, bring in another striker, then I don’t see why they can’t have another go next season.

Brendan Rodgers has hit the nail on the head, his job is not to win the league and secure top 4, his job was to disrupt the top 6 and he’s done that. Leicester are in the conversation now, next they need to look at a way of breaking in to the top 4 and that will be tricky but if they can keep this side together and invest then I don’t see why that can’t be something that happens in the future.

I do think the Prem will be very tough next season and very competitive; City have just found a method to win for the next couple years it seems, United are on the up, Liverpool will have Van Dijk back and are out of that bad run and Chelsea will have a full Summer under Tuchel. It could end up being a proper old school top 4 year.

I doubt Ricardo goes anywhere. Not looked the same player since the injury. 

Worried about Tielemans the most. Then perhaps Fofana, Soyuncu and Ndidi.

I'd be devastated if any players left, really.

As for next season, it'll get very tough - Man City will be in pole position as they're likely to spend more. Chelsea will have Tuchel managing for a full season and I think are proper contenders. Liverpool as you say have Van Dijk back but I do wonder if the front 3 will remain? Man Utd will be stronger. Tottenham & Arsenal need the consistency and then you have the other sides that could compete such as West Ham and dare I say Everton. 

I think we're in a good position to remain competitive. We have a good core of a squad to do so and I hope that it doesn't get picked off or disrupted. I'd like to think players can recognise they can achieve here and not chase money elsewhere. For example with Tielemans he really is that classy I can only see him going to clubs like Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid or PSG. 

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

I doubt Ricardo goes anywhere. Not looked the same player since the injury. 

Worried about Tielemans the most. Then perhaps Fofana, Soyuncu and Ndidi.

I'd be devastated if any players left, really.

As for next season, it'll get very tough - Man City will be in pole position as they're likely to spend more. Chelsea will have Tuchel managing for a full season and I think are proper contenders. Liverpool as you say have Van Dijk back but I do wonder if the front 3 will remain? Man Utd will be stronger. Tottenham & Arsenal need the consistency and then you have the other sides that could compete such as West Ham and dare I say Everton. 

I think we're in a good position to remain competitive. We have a good core of a squad to do so and I hope that it doesn't get picked off or disrupted. I'd like to think players can recognise they can achieve here and not chase money elsewhere. For example with Tielemans he really is that classy I can only see him going to clubs like Man City, Barcelona, Real Madrid or PSG. 

I think you’re safe with Fofana and Soyuncu for now, the prices you would charge I can’t see them being bought just yet. Tielemans is the sort of player that would improve any midfield in world football and I think that’s your problem as a possession based side like City imo should move heaven and earth to sign him, same as PSG with Poch there.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Danny said:

I think you’re safe with Fofana and Soyuncu for now, the prices you would charge I can’t see them being bought just yet. Tielemans is the sort of player that would improve any midfield in world football and I think that’s your problem as a possession based side like City imo should move heaven and earth to sign him, same as PSG with Poch there.

We'd charge for Tielemans far more than what we'd charge for anyone else right now, I think.

He's in talks with us for a new deal anyway. I hope it's sorted soon. 

• Subscriber

Leicester have every summer since the title win sold precisely one key player.

2016 - Kante

2017 - Drinkwater

2018 - Mahrez

2019 - Maguire

2020 - Chilwell

2021 - ???

There isn't going to be some exodus I don't think. I think it's plausible somebody goes again. One of the ITKs seemed to imply Maddison might be off but I just don't see who, other than possibly Spurs for a new manager (and that's a huge if) is going to put up the money. Tielemans is the one we all fear but I think he will sign a new deal this summer, then probably be next summers big sale. I therefore expect us to bring in another midfielder this summer on top of the inevitable Soumare, as nobody in the squad is really capable of Tielemans' game and virtually all of our play goes through him. I expect Dewsbury-Hall to be involved next season. Hard to say how good he is but Rodgers is supposedly a big fan and whilst it's only Luton, he's stood out there to an almost ridiculous level by all accounts, so we might have another gem on our hands.

Ultimately though I think the idea at Leicester, and it's absolutely the correct one, is to look to make precisely one big sale a summer and then bring in 3/4 upgrades on what we do have. I feel we've done that well in the last few summers. We were well prepared for Maguire's departure and although Soyuncu's had a couple of mad moments, he's been generally fine and allowed us to play higher up the pitch than Maguire does. Fofana likewise I think is just a straight up better defender. The Maguire signing allowed us to bring in Tielemans permamently, Praet, Justin and Perez (though the latter has been a big flop for me and probably our biggest post 2016 error). Last summer the Chilwell sale allowed us to bring in Castagne and Fofana whilst giving more minutes to Luke Thomas, who wasn't significantly a weaker option than Chilwell last season (worth pointing out he was in really poor form for a lot of 2019/20 and he's massively stepped up at Chelsea).

I think by just continuously repeating this process we gradually get better and better. We aren't perfect, but if we keep making strides forward each season then maybe we can challenge for the title again one day. You never know.

I've more faith in us as a club than I had a year ago. There was very much an element of Leicester under Rodgers being a flash in the pan I felt a year ago but the season just gone, whilst it's impossible to ignore yet another late tail off, we've again finished above loads of better resourced sides than us and it can't keep happening by accident. The fact I see a fair bit of room for improvement encourages me too. Just keep doing things the right way, and who knows where it will take us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 16/06/2021 at 15:08, Smiley Culture said:

I see you lot have a friendly with QPR. I quite fancy that, providing fans are allowed. 

Yeah we do. Don't think I'll bother. Been a few times before and the majority of our first half of aways seem to be in London anyway, plus the community shield the week after.

Friendlies are a bit shit as well really. Couple of seasons ago a mate of mine went and get me and a few others tickets for four away games in two weeks. Took me about half of the first game to wonder what they were thinking.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2021 at 20:56, Dan said:

Leicester have every summer since the title win sold precisely one key player.

2016 - Kante

2017 - Drinkwater

2018 - Mahrez

2019 - Maguire

2020 - Chilwell

2021 - ???

Maddison. 

Looks to be off to Arsenal. 

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Maddison. 

Looks to be off to Arsenal. 

A disposable asset if he goes. A good player to have if he stays. Depending what price we get for him I won't mind. 

We don't have to sell, though. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

A disposable asset if he goes. A good player to have if he stays. Depending what price we get for him I won't mind. 

We don't have to sell, though. 

70-80 million being reported. 
Personal terms look to be agreed. 200kpw. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

70-80 million being reported. 
Personal terms look to be agreed. 200kpw. 

Wouldn't mind that at all. Plenty of money to reinvest back in to the squad in that position or elsewhere. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Continuing to go up in the world. 

Talk of a stadium expansion has been realistically spoken about since promotion in 2014. Then put on hold due to covid in 2020. Now it looks like things will continue to progress. 

https://twitter.com/LCFC/status/1420277932824698880?s=19

Increase to 40k.

Hotel nearby. Multi-purpose arena next to it as well. A real investment in to the area as well as the stadium. 

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Continuing to go up in the world. 

Talk of a stadium expansion has been realistically spoken about since promotion in 2014. Then put on hold due to covid in 2020. Now it looks like things will continue to progress. 

https://twitter.com/LCFC/status/1420277932824698880?s=19

Increase to 40k.

Hotel nearby. Multi-purpose arena next to it as well. A real investment in to the area as well as the stadium. 

An additional 8k seats, doesn't seem a huge jump considering the financial costs of construction. 

How much is the average Leicester season ticket?

Edited by Devil

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Devil said:

An additional 8k seats, doesn't seem a huge jump considering the financial costs of construction. 

How much is the average Leicester season ticket?

About £400-500 average. 

I'm guessing the club are somewhat cautious to not go too big/far too soon just in case we have a bit of a downfall once it is in place. Like Newcastle, Leeds, Sunderland, Villa - massive stadiums in lower divisions isn't the best. 

Our owners have always been shrewd but at the same time, don't do things by half so while it may seem small in number, I'm guessing/hoping the actual facilities and quality of it won't be shit.  

1 minute ago, Stan said:

About £400-500 average. 

I'm guessing the club are somewhat cautious to not go too big/far too soon just in case we have a bit of a downfall once it is in place. Like Newcastle, Leeds, Sunderland, Villa - massive stadiums in lower divisions isn't the best. 

Our owners have always been shrewd but at the same time, don't do things by half so while it may seem small in number, I'm guessing/hoping the actual facilities and quality of it won't be shit.  

Having said what I've just said I've just checked the cost of construction in 2002, it only cost Leicester 37 million to build that stadium, that's incredible really. Inflation wise it would be around 67 million in today's money but when you consider the cost of some stadiums that's amazing value. 

Majority of stadiums seem a similar design so I'd imagine the original plans included the option of expansion further down the line. Maybe the construction costs aren't anywhere near as expensive as I imagine.

• Subscriber

I don't know all the ins and outs about when we first built it but I'm sure there are some skeletons in the wardrobe a bit about it, it came at the same time as the crash of the NTL deal and it put us in the shit, as well as a lot of businesses in the area. I'm guessing a bit here though as I don't really know the ins and outs and someone older could tell me better.

This was a move I'd been expecting a while and really glad they're doing it. We're definitely ready to expand it because we've never been this well supported and it's worth capitalising while we can rather than letting a load of kids from around here grow up supporting someone else. It's just yet another very good move from the owners, who's ambition is spot on and time and time again they back it up. Great times to support us.

I do hope we can somehow incorporate some sort of rail service to the ground. It's got the Ivanhoe Lane from Leicester to Burton running right by it yet it's a freight only line at the minute. There's been talk for years of potentially putting passenger trains on there and I hope it happens - would be an allround good move for the city and we've got a lot of support between here and Burton as well, particularly Coalville, Ashby.

Great news. The only bummer is that we started with the training facilities first rather than this as we've just happened to have the one-off perfect opportunity to expand the ground over the past year and a bit, but never mind, just sods law.