talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City Discussion

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

We're absolutely butt-fucked financially with our accounts for 22/23.

Horrendous mismanagement at the very Top. 

• Subscriber

It's unforgivable. What will it take for them to self reflect?

£90mil of losses despite selling Fofana and Maddison. It's so staggering you can't believe it.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

That's pretty shocking. It feels like promotion or real trouble.

The best case scenario is promotion, a fire sale before July and then into the Premier League with a weakened squad and a points deduction. Basically an even safer bet for relegation than Sheffield United were this season, an absolute complete certainty and we then go from there - but to then probably be hit by the EFL when we get back.

It's disgusting mismanagement. Some of the absolute worst in English football. 115% wages to turnover xD what the fuck are they doing!!!!!!

This idiot is cut from a similar cloth to Chansiri. Wants to take all the plaudits for anything good that's happened (which I would argue most of which was residue from the previous years) while shirking responsibility for everything else. Nobody accountable. The difference between him and Chansiri is that Chansiri didn't inherit a solid Premier League club. Put him in charge of Brighton for five years and I think this is the sort of outcome you get.

• Subscriber

I honestly think instead of punishing clubs who are being fucked over by their own owners with points penalties that just risk plunging them into even bigger trouble, the FA/government should have the power to strip these twats of their ownership, sell the club on their behalf to the highest bidder that can pass the fit and proper owners test, hand the old owners the money and bar them from owning any English football club for 30 years.

Genuinely don't see how this proposal is at all unfair or controversial. It provides a safety net for millions of fans across the country. It worries me how bitter and selfish some football fans are when they say that clubs should be "punished" for not being run right. It's only the fans that end up really being punished when they're the ones with no control over the mess in the first place.

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It worries me how bitter and selfish some football fans are when they say that clubs should be "punished" for not being run right. 

Fans and the media are already terrible when it comes to wanting new shiny toys every transfer window in an industry where 90%+ of professional clubs run at a loss. If you take away the threat of on field punishment then it would become the wild west.

I think the way forwards is the Spanish model with an abolishment of the transfer window. On June 30th, instead of in September as it is in Spain, clubs show the Independent Regulator revenues they have generated in the last year. The regulator then informs him exactly how much they can spend on wages. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I honestly think instead of punishing clubs who are being fucked over by their own owners with points penalties that just risk plunging them into even bigger trouble, the FA/government should have the power to strip these twats of their ownership, sell the club on their behalf to the highest bidder that can pass the fit and proper owners test, hand the old owners the money and bar them from owning any English football club for 30 years.

Genuinely don't see how this proposal is at all unfair or controversial. It provides a safety net for millions of fans across the country. It worries me how bitter and selfish some football fans are when they say that clubs should be "punished" for not being run right. It's only the fans that end up really being punished when they're the ones with no control over the mess in the first place.

I wouldn't trust the government to be responsible for that considering the cronyism and corruption already at the heart of it. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Fans and the media are already terrible when it comes to wanting new shiny toys every transfer window in an industry where 90%+ of professional clubs run at a loss. If you take away the threat of on field punishment then it would become the wild west.

I think the way forwards is the Spanish model with an abolishment of the transfer window. On June 30th, instead of in September as it is in Spain, clubs show the Independent Regulator revenues they have generated in the last year. The regulator then informs him exactly how much they can spend on wages. 

PSR would probably be fine if they had some sort of "live" accounting available of the sort you described.

I still think when you get to situations like Reading, or Everton/Leicester to a lesser extent, where a football club is being run into the ground by incompetence and the ownership is contributing to the problem, then the owner should be punished, not the football club. If the club is then unable to register new players until they've reduced the wage bill by X amount or something then fine. These clubs are unlucky to have lunatics in the boardroom and they aren't seeing any benefit to their over-spending. The footballing authorities have a duty of care over them in my opinion, all these points penalties do is pour fuel on the fire.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I wouldn't trust the government to be responsible for that considering the cronyism and corruption already at the heart of it. 

Hopefully only for a matter of months longer. Obviously you wouldn't put much faith in any UK government or any of the current footballing authorities to be making those calls but maybe the Independent Regulator will be better if they get the right people running it.

I just think fans should be treated as valued stakeholders again. I'm not saying they should be allowed to run the club or owners should be booted out every time a team has a bad transfer window but it's the wild west already. Anyone with the money to buy a football club can do so and ruin them with basically no repercussions. If these people are actually held accountable to treat our football clubs with respect and make sure they're run in a competent way or risk losing the right to be involved. They did it with Chelsea when Abramovich was no longer able to run the club so it's clearly possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

EFL concede they can't give us a points deduction based on our breaches in PL. 

They're not fit for purpose. Embarrassing from them. 

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/april/12/efl-statement--leicester-city/

On 22 March 2024 Leicester City Football Club announced they had commenced urgent legal proceedings against the EFL and the Premier League. 

This followed the Club’s referral to an independent Premier League Disciplinary Commission for an alleged breach of the Profitability and Sustainability Rules (P&S), ending in financial year 2022/23. The Club had also been placed under an EFL registration embargo, in accordance with Profitability & Sustainability Rule 2.10.1, after filing its 2023/24 P&S calculation.

One element of the Club’s legal proceedings involved an application to a League arbitration panel under the EFL Regulations in which it accused the EFL, amongst other things, of acting ‘unlawfully by conspiring with the Premier League to use unlawful means and to procure or induce a breach of contract by the Premier League’ in relation to its proceedings against the Club. 

The Club made an application for an interim injunction to prevent the EFL from imposing a sporting sanction in the current 2023/24 season. 

Leicester City sent no letter before action and issued the proceedings without notice.

The core issue in question was whether the EFL has the ability under its Regulations to apply a points deduction in its competition if ordered by a Premier League Disciplinary Commission.  

Having taken legal advice, the EFL has confirmed to all parties that whilst it would want to respect any decision of a Premier League Disciplinary commission (and vice versa) to deduct points in the EFL, it does not have the power under the Regulations as currently drafted. 

On the basis of that confirmation, the League Arbitration Panel held that the Club’s application for an interim injunction was neither necessary nor appropriate. The League Arbitration Panel dismissed the Club’s application accordingly