Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Leicester City Discussion

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Most clubs don’t give out the money that City and Chelsea or any oil club do? 

Do you think Emery was on less than Rodgers? And you saw how much Arsenal spent over the summer?

It’s Arsenal, they’ve been shit by their standards for 10 years and they’ve still had a better time in those 10 years than most clubs in the country.

Mate I dunno what you’re arguing about but all I’m saying is Leicester will be able to spend as much as Arsenal if they finish top 4. For clarity I pointed out City and Chelsea as big spenders so no one would get hung up on terminology.

If Arsenal can suddenly pull out that sort of money then fair play, that’s a big pull. But as it is, if Leicester finish top 4 I don’t see why they can’t spend as much as Arsenal have...which btw is about £40m more than they spent last summer 

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Mate I dunno what you’re arguing about but all I’m saying is Leicester will be able to spend as much as Arsenal if they finish top 4. For clarity I pointed out City and Chelsea as big spenders so no one would get hung up on terminology.

If Arsenal can suddenly pull out that sort of money then fair play, that’s a big pull. But as it is, if Leicester finish top 4 I don’t see why they can’t spend as much as Arsenal have...which btw is about £40m more than they spent last summer 

I think Leicester would spend more, but I don’t think you can expect them to start spending like CL regulars just because they qualified for the CL.

Leicester have shown they will spend well if they can sustain it, so of course they would spend more. But like when Spurs first hit the CL, I don’t think we would see a radical change in spending.

Arsenal will always have cash to burn as one of the big clubs in England. They can’t burn as much as the oil clubs, sure - because they’re a real football club not a rich man’s plaything or a questionable governments propaganda machine - and I think they’ll always be a fairly attractive prospect for a manager like Brendan Rodgers.

Having said that, I think he stays til the end of the season because whatever happens this year with Leicester I think he’s going to come off looking really good. It’s a good year for his CV - and then he’s in a good spot to demand more from Leicester or demand more from a new club that can promise him money to burn and massive wages

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Money isnt just about transfers mate. Arsenal can without a doubt offer Rodgers more money in wages, location wise North London is probably more desirable than Leicester for most people with plenty of money (not myself fyi because I hate London). Arsenal are also just a bigger club in general, that's obvious to anyone. 

I really dont get your arguement? I've said I really hope Rodgers stays at Leicester because for one hes doing a great job and for two, I prefer Leicester to Arsenal. 

But if you think a manager wouldn't swap Leicester for Arsenal then you're bonkers xD

33 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Money isnt just about transfers mate. Arsenal can without a doubt offer Rodgers more money in wages, location wise North London is probably more desirable than Leicester for most people with plenty of money (not myself fyi because I hate London). Arsenal are also just a bigger club in general, that's obvious to anyone. 

I really dont get your arguement? I've said I really hope Rodgers stays at Leicester because for one hes doing a great job and for two, I prefer Leicester to Arsenal. 

But if you think a manager wouldn't swap Leicester for Arsenal then you're bonkers xD

Mate good managers don’t choose a club based on where they’re living otherwise Klopp woulda chose Spain over Liverpool 😂

Leicester in their current state are in a much better condition than Arsenal and if they get CL football then they’ll have enough money to compete with Arsenal imo. Not saying Rodgers wouldn’t choose Arsenal over Leicester, just that in their current conditions Leicester are as much as a pull for Rodgers to stay

Quote.thumb.png.e0db68396032c1365b787e684880e24d.png

Is Brendan Rodgers top of Arsenal's wish-list to replace Unai Emery?

I can't see Rodgers leaving a team mid season to go elsewhere.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

There are very few circumstances where I think a manager has a legitimate reason to turn down Arsenal to stay at Leicester. This current however is one of them. If Rodgers goes to Arsenal and fails, he could be done at any decent sized club in this country. His reputation post Liverpool was hardly the greatest (we got some stick ourselves for appointing him) so to go to Arsenal and not deliver, which you've got to say is very possible given what a rebuild they need, it would be a big risk.

You've got a lot to lose leaving Leicester. What we are not is a massive club or a massive name. But when you weigh up what you do actually get at Leicester - it's a really good job. You get an excellent owner that will back you, you've got a fanbase that, while there aren't no expectations, they pale into insignificance compared to somewhere like Arsenal. You've got a very good squad already in place, loads of really good young players tied down for years - something that gives Leicester a lot of security going forwards as we've now got the power to get big money for them. This is a club going in the right direction for sure. It's a really nice set of circumstances for any manager, and I think Rodgers knows that.

Rodgers doesn't have to chuck everything away here for a rebuild needing Arsenal. What does he realistically expect to do there in the next 2/3 years that he's not going to do here this year? We've got every chance of making the top 4 this year. What are Arsenal going to do that's better than that? Does he think he could win them a title, or a European trophy?

If this was Man City or Liverpool, I'd totally get it. Arsenal? I think you're on a hiding to nothing.

Rodgers has got 20+ years left in management if he wants it. If he gets Leicester into the top 4, he could have a far better offer than Arsenal come in for him. There's a reason Arsenal ended up with Emery.

If Arsenal got their act together, put in a proper recruitment structure and invested in quality young players, I think the appeal becomes instantly significant. For now though? Poisoned chalice. He'd be making a mistake going there.

• Upvote 2

I doubt he will ever get a better offer than Arsenal personally, though I doubt they'd want him either. He's never going to be Liverpool, Man City or Man Utd. Arsenal or Chelsea is his ceiling for life now. 

That means it is all about timing. If Arsenal came in and he didn't take it, in all probability by the time Arsenal became available again he probably wouldn't be flavour of the month.

Can the media stop being cunts now and stop touting him to a job that, right now, he'd be foolish to go to?

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers: "I have a contract here until 2022. Thus far, I know managers are losing their jobs, the club have not indicated to me that they are going to sack me. I am very happy so would have no need to look elsewhere.

"Why would I want to leave Leicester City at this time? I am working with a group of players who have so much potential. I gave an honest answer about how all managers have some sort of clause in their contracts and suddenly that seems to have thrown a door wide open.

"For me I repeat, I am happy here. Very happy here. I feel I want to continue with that. Take from that what you want.”

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

'I feel I want to continue that...' hardly a affirmative no is it. It's only a matter of time. 

And any of the words before that?

I think it's fairly certain he's staying here and won't go to Arsenal right now. 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

And any of the words before that?

I think it's fairly certain he's staying here and won't go to Arsenal right now. 

I dont see how more blunt he can be to be honest, without saying "fuck off, IM NOT LEAVING FOR ARSENAL" xD

It's just typical of the media in this country. He was implying that the majority of managers in the league have release clauses as if to say it's nothing special and the lot of them took that as him going to Arsenal xD it's laughable how it's gotten to this point and that he's had to come out and reaffirm what he actually meant. All a bit pathetic. Twats like Richard Keys and Chris Sutton trying to stay relevant as well. Sutton's been nothing short of embarrassing about Rodgers. It's borderline mental.

Quote.thumb.png.2b1779a7a5aa03bcbf731aacfc42a1d9.png

Leicester City has opened talks with manager Brendan Rodgers over a lucrative new contract in a bid to fend off interest from Arsenal. 

Arsenal has held their first interviews with candidates for their vacant manager's job, with the focus on candidates who are out of work. (Telegraph)

Rodgers Signs New Contract til 2025 

:D

Hate it when a player or a manager does well for a period and gets a new contract. Not just regarding Rogers but in general.

It's all about securing interests, Rodgers was clever in floating the 'I've got a release clause' stuff to the press. Means Leicester need to act quickly to give him more money, and stave off interest for the time being. Also means they'll get more money should he depart in the summer etc. 

Works for all of us really. Celtic fans telling us he won't be here for 5 and a half more years as if it's some major breakthrough.

4 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Rodgers was clever in floating the 'I've got a release clause' stuff to the press

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

Works for all of us really

Aye, I worked in a factory down South once earning good money and I got a letter from the Prisoners Offices Board about a job as a Prison Officers job I had applied for when I left the army offering me a job, it would have paid me more than what I had been earning at the job I was doing atm, I showed the factory manager the offer from the POS who then offered me a pay rise to counter the POS Job which I accepted, as Dan said, it works for us all really.   

Yes, got that one wrong. Lot of affection for Maguire, like Robertson, but by a lot of accounts he's not been too good at Manchester United and Leicester have come on leaps and bounds. Don't think the absence of Maguire explains Leicester's good form but they certainly don't miss him.

Replacing Maguire with Soyuncu a season before goes some way to explaining it. 

We were good with Maguire but nothing special. Now we are with Soyuncu's form so far. Not to mention Evans being quality on the cheap and Pereira and Chilwell improving their game too. 

I actually didn't mind Maguire to be honest. Think he gets far too much hate from all parts but it goes to show chasing the money doesn't always work out straight away? 

Maguire has benefited a lot from there not being many great English centre backs and his ability to run out of defence combined with his absolute breeze-block of a forehead puts him ahead of the likes of Tarkowski, Mings etc...but if you're talking the days of Terry, Ferdinand or Campbell he would not get a look in for England and that's United's issue as they should be targeting absolute world class defenders or players with that potential

Leicester have played a blinder

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Yes, got that one wrong. Lot of affection for Maguire, like Robertson, but by a lot of accounts he's not been too good at Manchester United and Leicester have come on leaps and bounds. Don't think the absence of Maguire explains Leicester's good form but they certainly don't miss him.

I actually don't think Maguire's been bad at United and I still think he's a good player - but losing Maguire has allowed Leicester to play with a higher line because Evans and Sonyoncu isn't anywhere near as slow as a pairing as Evans and Maguire. With Ndidi to help out the defenders, they can keep a high line and they have 2 very good fullbacks to stretch the opposition - which really suits how Rodgers likes to operate.

Also you have to consider that Maguire was playing behind a much better midfield at Leicester than he was at United (weird to type that one out and be totally serious about it - but it's true). So even though Maguire not being pacey isn't so much of an issue at United, where they defend deeper than Leicester do this season, he's under more pressure defensively because that midfield is putting the United defense under more pressure.

I think he was overpriced, he's not worth a fee as high as his, but I understand why they signed him - he's a player that gives them leadership (ironically, Leicester still have a leader at the back in United's youth product Evans) and he'll be with them during his peak years. The defending for United last season was pretty dogshit, this season it's been noticeably better.

My post about him holding Leicester's defense back was more in jest than serious - I think ultimately Leicester's defensive success comes down to Evans and Sonyoncu being a better partnership for the system that Rodgers likes to use, more than the quality of Maguire. It was an excellent bit of business for Leicester, getting as much money as they did while they had a replacement ready to go.

• Upvote 1

Said it many a time and to be honest the picture became clearer and clearer through a lot of last season that Maguire wasn't ever particularly brilliant. Not rubbish, but overhyped largely due to him being an England international and a down to earth type of character. These of course aren't bad things but they screw peoples perception somewhat. It was quite telling that our record without him even last year was better than it was with him. Evans is the better of the two.

I think as a leader he was never all that either really. Evans was more of an organiser. Morgan despite being captain wasn't that big an organiser either really and was usually better alongside Evans or Huth. Maguire and Morgan was a car crash and for all the shit Morgan gets, in terms of pure defending it wasn't like either were innocent.

Just now, Dan said:

I think as a leader he was never all that either really. Evans was more of an organiser. Morgan despite being captain wasn't that big an organiser either really and was usually better alongside Evans or Huth. Maguire and Morgan was a car crash and for all the shit Morgan gets, in terms of pure defending it wasn't like either were innocent.

You can see with England and United that he's a defensive leader though - even if he didn't necessarily show it for you. Evans is probably better at it than him, so he just sort of followed his lead. And with Morgan maybe he thought telling the captain what to do wasn't his place.

Either way, he's obviously improved United's defending this season. He's just not worth the money that was spent - but I think that was something most people knew when he made the move over. England international tax and all that jazz.