talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
On 22/12/2019 at 23:44, carefreeluke said:

I said this after you beat us on this day last season. You've made some great progress since then...

Puel definitely set us on the right track, he was just never going to be the right man to really progress things. Rodgers was the perfect replacement, really.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Cicero said:

If we get Chilwell for 80 million and Leicester in turn grab Grimaldo think I might break something 

This is the sort of situation I'm hoping for. I think we could sell Chilwell, strengthen and make money in the process.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

He honestly has to be up there with the best pound for pound signing a club has ever made. Just everything about the bloke defies logic. I think it's quite clear in hindsight that he should probably never have been down in non-league in the first place but it still takes something to turn that around. He's often struggled but seems to turn it around in pretty extraordinary fashion.

It's often not factored into the whole story about him outside of Leicester but he actually very nearly left us after a year here, having looked a little out of his depth during that period, but whatever it was Pearson, Shakespeare and in fairness too even apparently Vichai said to him, I've no idea, but it worked and he looked a totally different player the following year. I remember him starting our first game and people couldn't believe it, he scored the winning goal and he just never looked back. Was a huge part of the reason we got promoted.

Then he really struggled the next year too in the Premier League - wasn't quite as bad as the first year but he just couldn't find any scoring form, he was the catalyst behind that 5-3 win over Manchester United but then went bang on six months without a goal, scored at Spurs, had a decent end of season run and then amazingly got an England call up from Hodgson in the summer of 2015 - the one where Pearson left and Ranieri came in.

Again he just didn't stop once he'd 'clicked' and was on fire in 2015/16. It only came to my attention recently that he missed a penalty against Everton in the game we lifted the trophy, which I'd completely forgot about, and I think if he'd scored that he'd have won the golden boot over Harry Kane.

He struggled a bit the following season but in fairness we were absolutely terrible all-round, totally dysfunctional as a team, and in the end he still finished on 13 goals in the league which wasn't bad given how shit we'd been most of the year.

Following season, 2017/18, he got 20 goals - to me that was as impressive as the 24 he got in the title winning season, it was largely under Puel who had no idea how to set us up to attack. The biggest travesty I can remember that Maguire beat him to POTS that year despite being in a shoddy defence.

He'd been in and out of the side under Puel in 2018/19 and again looked like he was struggling a bit, but the arrival of Rodgers changed everything and he ended up on 18 goals last season despite only being on 8 going into March.

Then of course this season, league's top scorer on 19 goals.

I think he is a streaky player but when he's on song he's unplayable, the fact we've had him throughout the last few years is why Leicester above basically anybody outside of the big clubs have been able to sustain any serious challenges. He's routinely the most statistically clinical striker in the league and when you give him the service, he delivers.

You do eventually think it will catch up with him a bit, but I also think over time he's become a bit less reliant on pace as well. That's obviously still his party trick, in behind the defence and finishing, but he's definitely scoring different types of goals now - very few strikers of his age are hitting numbers like him.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Legend of the club. Don't care what anyone says he's the definition of loyalty. Been at the club since 2005 as a kid and stuck by us through the shittest time our club has been through and played a part in our 'great escape', helped win the league and then played CL football.

Last few years he's fallen out of favour but given the kind of gent he is he hasn't moaned or thrown his toys out the pram. Just been a proper professional about it. I hope he gets a testimonial, and I think he will, so we can show our appreciation for him properly. 

• Subscriber

Andy King's spent a very long time at a club who've been through one of the sporting rollercoasters of all time during that very period. He's seen and done it all for us.

While he hasn't really been a first choice player for a lot of that time, particularly the last 5 or so years, he's going to have some real stories to tell of his time here. I'd love him to write a book one day.

His first goal here was right up there with his best, an absolute rocket against Southampton in the year we dropped to League One.

To think he leaves us with a League One winners medal, a Championship winners medal, a Premier League winners medal, via playing in the Champions League - it is unbelievable really.

He's scored some really big goals for us over the years. Like I said - he's not really involved much these days, but he scored the goal that started the great escape in the win over West Ham. He's scored so many goals against our local rivals, the goal that got us into the play-offs at Preston, a goal at Cardiff in them, a goal at Forest to get is into the play-offs, so many more - too many to reel off really.

He's been the one constant of the absolute madness that is Leicester City. For that he is a legend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So everyone knows (pretty much?) what our owners are like and how we've been fortunate enough not to have to put up with how it could have been - Blackpool, Birmingham, Hull, Cardiff etc where the owner doesn't really care about the club but purely sees it as an investment/'fuck the fans' attitude.

Anyway, for all the good our owners have done over the years and where they've taken us since taking over 10 years ago, and for what they've been through with Vichai's death a couple of years ago after the PL win, they've properly dropped a bollock in last couple of days with their Season Ticket scheme for this coming season.

Basically:

• Season-Ticket Holders (STH) have to pay a £70 initial payment by 8th Sept to be included in a ballot for the ability to be able to watch matches (when it becomes possible)
  • The £70 is non-refundable should there be no games at all that can take place with full capacity
  • Should you be successful in the ballot, you'll be given a seat that could be more expensive than your normal ST seat (I thought that given seats would be spaced out, it would just be a flat rate across the ground?). Or it could have been pro-rata up against the cost of your usual ST price?
  • The £70 isn't discounted off any future fee we have to pay for our Season Tickets. It's only discounted off any ST price should any games take place at full capacity.
  • The £70 isn't credited towards next season's Season Ticket.
  • You could lose your Season Ticket if you don't pay the £70. The club haven't made this clear but it seems like they're willing to risk losing fans that have been coming & going for years, decades even. This really doesn't sit right with me, especially with how fans stayed loyal for how shit our club was 10-15 years ago.
  • The games you get to see are actually in a 'ballot cycle'. Dependant on how many take up this new scheme for this season, you probably can't go to all games. 

Then when you look at what other clubs are doing, it makes our plans look weak and unfair.

Man City (granted their revenue streams are vastly different so perhaps could be excused for forgoing the costs for fans...)

• We understand some supporters may not wish to, or be able, return to the stadium immediately, or at any time during the 20/21 season. If that is the case, you do not need to contact the Club and we will consider your seasonal membership ‘deferred’. Please note, you will retain the option to renew your Seasoncard for the 21/22 season or at any such time that we may offer Seasoncards during the 20/21 season.

Brighton:

• They continued their DD scheme until September. Any costs paid, if fans did renew, would be used as a credit for any games fans choose to go to when fans are allowed back in stadiums.

Just seems our club have over-thought what to do and in the process, almost fucked fans over. What if someone has been an STH for 20+ years? And now they've had to shield/isolate and don't feel safe to go, but also can't afford £70 right now to secure their ST for future seasons? That's their support gone and they probably feel quite disillusioned at the situation they face. 

• Subscriber

It's just downright greed. It's even worse given it was on the day we've effectively guaranteed we're going to get £65mil for Chilwell and £8mil for Slimani too. It's a rare PR own goal from us.

Having realised we have a window of around two weeks to renew I'll be waiting and seeing how the club react to this. They've gotten this one wrong.

• Subscriber

Right on cue I've just seen a tweet from someone at the Mercury saying the club are reviewing things.

Fair play if they do change their minds on this. I feel a bit damned either way in the current situation. Being honest I've got no real interest in attending football-lite, but at the same time I don't want to lose my priority points as I'm in a position currently where I can be basically guaranteed a ticket for any game (in normal circumstances before some clever cunt says it :D).

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Dan said:

Their alternative really isn't good enough either. It's slightly better (well, less poor) but I'm still not really impressed.

I feel like with all the comments and feedback from the club, they'll go a step further. How much further I don't know but they've still not recovered from Friday's mare. It's a step in the right direction...

• Subscriber

Christ things sound a bit bleak with us. Had it basically confirmed to me six of our players have broken the lockdown rules therefore can't actually train for another week (look out for the missing names on Wednesday's game), long-term physio Dave Rennie has been let go, which is just bizarre. Not getting a good vibe from us, really don't get what's going on.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Dan said:

Christ things sound a bit bleak with us. Had it basically confirmed to me six of our players have broken the lockdown rules therefore can't actually train for another week (look out for the missing names on Wednesday's game), long-term physio Dave Rennie has been let go, which is just bizarre. Not getting a good vibe from us, really don't get what's going on.

I wonder if any of those players were caught up in quarantine rules though that changed while they were out on holiday? Or have they gone out to those countries knowing there are quarantine rules to face when they come back?

Which six players anyway?