talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Dan said:

Second departure. Hamza Choudhury joins Watford on loan. Would prefer permanent but it's one down. Wonder what % of his wages they're paying.

50/50 apparently. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

We can't afford to lose him, no.

I'm hoping he will sign a new contract. He'll be deserving of it regardless because of how he's performed the last 12-18 months.

I heard one of Newcastle's offers was an initial £20m then £20m worth of add-ons. No wonder it was described as 'insulting' by us xD 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2022 at 12:52, Stan said:

We can't afford to lose him, no.

I'm hoping he will sign a new contract. He'll be deserving of it regardless because of how he's performed the last 12-18 months.

I heard one of Newcastle's offers was an initial £20m then £20m worth of add-ons. No wonder it was described as 'insulting' by us xD 

Leeds couldn't afford to lose Phillips or Raphina yet came out better.   

I am still shocked by Leicester's financial issues

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I don't mind Leeds so I hope they continue as they have started this season, but it is very early days. They seem to approach games how I only wish we could - that performance against Chelsea was superb and full of energy. Can be difficult to keep that up... 

Shocked in what respect? It's wages paid towards average players that don't even play that are the issue. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

I don't mind Leeds so I hope they continue as they have started this season, but it is very early days. They seem to approach games how I only wish we could - that performance against Chelsea was superb and full of energy. Can be difficult to keep that up... 

Shocked in what respect? It's wages paid towards average players that don't even play that are the issue. 

I never realised there were that many bad deals 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I never realised there were that many bad deals 

Vestergaard and Bertrand are the 2 highlights.

Combined, costing approx £15-20m, and wages approx £150k/w.

Add to that, Perez who has been inconsistent at the very best and nowhere near good enough for the £30m we paid. 

Soumare hasn't really performed as we'd have expected - £18m. God knows what wages he's on.

I'd have loved Praet to have worked out and I still think he could under a different manager, if he's not sold - £17m approx.

Benkovic in 2018 - £13m.

Ghezzal - meant to be the 2nd coming of Riyad Mahrez - £13m

Adrien Silva - missed half the season due to an epic transfer mishap - £19m.

Iborra - £13-14m. Left and went back to Spain after 18 months.

That's up to 2017. So 5 years worth.  

Not to say it's all bad - Maddison, Pereira, Tielemans, Soyuncu, Justin, Castagne, Fofana, Iheanacho, Maguire, Daka have all been signed in that time too. But where we were famed for solid recruitment, that reputation is slipping away with more bad than good signed in the last few years.

• Subscriber
On 22/08/2022 at 12:20, OrangeKhrush said:

Way too early to say that. They've started well but you can't say they're out of it better until they've beaten the drop quite considerably - though the signs are good.

If we lost Maddison at this point we'd be in huge bother. We're becoming almost a one man team with him at the minute.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Way too early to say that. They've started well but you can't say they're out of it better until they've beaten the drop quite considerably - though the signs are good.

If we lost Maddison at this point we'd be in huge bother. We're becoming almost a one man team with him at the minute.

that was us with st Maximin before

7 hours ago, Dan said:

Fucking no chance Pochettino comes here anyway. I won't believe it.

Can't see him or any of them as successful Leicester coaches anyway. Sean Dyche would be no good, Rafa? Is he Leicester? OGS started with a bang at Utd but faded and I just again, don't see him as Leicester. Poch? Saints, Spurs, PSG............Leicester? The one I see for you is Nuno but I think he's occupied isn't he?

Edited by Chickasaw

• Administrator

Potter plays in a similar way to us with Brighton - a lot of his Brighton tenure has been 'if he had a proper striker he'd do better'. You don't get much more 'proper' than Vardy, despite his age. 

I want Rodgers to go, but can't see him being sacked as the owners probably don't want the big pay-out, so they're waiting for him to walk, which is equally unlikely. 

Wouldn't want Benitez or Solskjaer - Benitez's stock has fallen rapidly following his Newcastle/Everton days. Solskjaer isn't inspiring at all.

A few other names (alongside Poch despite how unrealistic that is) are Ruben Amorim or Marco Rose.

Basically would just like anyone that can get a tune out of these players again - it's gone heavily stale with Rodgers thanks to how he is so stubborn to only play in one way. And that doesn't suit our players. 

• Upvote 1

I said when BR was first appointed that it was a good move but his teams tend to fade after a while. I don't think Celtic can be included because let's face it, The Scottish league is a minnow compared to The EPL. Difficult to see him turning Leicester around.

What a hell of a struggle last night. All that possession and all the other stats mean NOTHING unless that ball goes into that net.

It could be the kind of job that Ronald Koeman needs to get his managerial career back on track.

He did lead Southampton to 7th and 6th places respectively in the league, and 7th in his first season at Everton before it went tits up.

It's just his more recent jobs have tainted his appeal.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It could be the kind of job that Ronald Koeman needs to get his managerial career back on track.

He did lead Southampton to 7th and 6th places respectively in the league, and 7th in his first season at Everton before it went tits up.

Good idea.

19 minutes ago, Lucas said:

That depends. Does Leicester have any worthwhile academy players? That’s Koeman’s thing, he likes to give chances to the up and comers.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

He made some strange decisions at Tottenham, I'm not sure you'd really want him. Let's wait and see if Rodgers can turn things around.

Honestly I'm not as bowled over by him as most people are. That isn't to say I don't rate him but I don't actually think he's all that dissimilar to Rodgers in that his teams are usually good for a period, fall short more often than they don't, and it all burns out somewhat. I never thought him leaving Spurs was the wrong decision.

I also don't really think we're in a position to support such an appointment. He will see himself as being in line for a bigger job than Leicester and Leicester could only really attract him if we were how we were when Rodgers came in - which was a side pretty stacked with young talent and money to spend. An obvious ascent incoming. We do need a bit of an overhaul now and this job is tough, he's got a lot to lose by coming here I think. The whole thing is a non-starter. If he came I'd not say no but I don't think he's quite the miracle everyone thinks he is, albeit I don't think we're getting better either.

What we need for me is somebody with fresh impetus. Rodgers had that kind of lift on us when he came in and he was the right man at the time, but he's demonstrated himself to be really bad at repeating the process and improving our team. He's been the biggest contributor for me for their absolutely shattered confidence with his general negativity, his talking down of the players/club, these collapses don't happen to him by accident. I find it quite incredible that you can take what he inherited and have it looking this bleak in three years. I really think we're nearer to a Dyche like appointment than people think.

Rodgers won't turn this around. Absolutely not a prayer. I don't think he's even bothered about doing so. We've hit a point with him, like we did Puel, where simply removing him will add something. I'm absolutely not saying this is what I want to happen but I'm about 90% sure if you did a run of our games from now until the World Cup, we'd get more points with someone like Allardyce than Rodgers. Rodgers and the club are tainted now. We just need him out. I think even a caretaker would've bettered what's been served up so far. Four totally abject showings out of four.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Interesting shout but really not keen on him in general. Convinced that's another that would go sour. I do believe in a managers shelf life but I don't believe it's necessarily always going to go sour like it has done here. Will Potter at Brighton ever go that way?

It's not the worst idea though. Replace Allardyce in my last post with Koeman and the exact same applies. Our performances are so bad they're ominous and I still think for all the squads flaws there is no way it should be fighting relegation, yet that's exactly what we're heading towards. We will be bottom with 1 point after 6 games in my opinion.