Girona vs Villarreal, 15.15
Malaga vs Leganes, 17.30
Real Betis vs Valencia, 19.45

Monday 16th October, 2017
Las Palmas vs Celta Vigo, 20.00

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of interesting games this coming weekend with the Atlético Madrid v FC Barcelona being the main event.  Just to note that in the case of the Atleti v Barça game, Ernesto Valverde hasn't beaten Diego Simeone once since the Argentine came to La Liga as a coach.  That's an interesting statistic because there are many cases where this sort of thing has stuck like Unai Emery against Barcelona with three different sides in La Liga.  Infact the first time any of his teams beat Barcelona was last season while at PSG in the 1st leg of that now famous turn-around.  I don't know about the Atleti fans, but I'm sure the Barça fans would be very happy with a draw.

For me one of the most interesting games is the Real Betis v Valencia...  Both teams have started the season extremely well and both have also managed to stunt Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu.  I can't wait for that one and it will be one that I'll be watching.

atletico-madrid-barcelona-horario-canal-

The pre-match press conference

Today we had the pre-match press conferences from both respective head coaches, Diego Simeone and Ernesto Valverde.  A lot was obviously said in the analysis of tomorrow's game but the two best quotes of the 1 hour press conference were these two that were said in humour but also with the added ingredient of heating up the game even more.

These were the two quotes:

20170929-636422864713106862_201709291257

Diego Simeone: "The grass? I'm not a gardener, but if I invite you to my house you eat with my plates on my table cloth and on my table.  You don't tell me how to eat in my house"

20170930-636423908623038579_201709301757

Ernesto Valverde:  "That's not a problem, I enjoy being invited to eat out.  We'll adapt ourselves to their menu and their crockery"

Another unconvincing performance from Real Madrid. The first half was decent considering how defensive Getafe played, but they never should've allowed Getafe come back into the match. Even after the late 1-2, Getafe got a few good chances at goal. Even if Barcelona loses points tonight (and I doubt they will), they really have to up their game to have any hope of winning the competition this season.

1 minute ago, Panflute said:

Another unconvincing performance from Real Madrid. The first half was decent considering how defensive Getafe played, but they never should've allowed Getafe come back into the match. Even after the late 1-2, Getafe got a few good chances at goal. Even if Barcelona loses points tonight (and I doubt they will), they really have to up their game to have any hope of winning the competition this season.

It's the story not only of this season but last season too...  Last season in the first half of the campaign 7 matches were resolved between the 85th minute and injury time.  The important thing was the three points to be honest because on most days that could've easily been a draw.

2 minutes ago, 11Neymar Ousmane Dembélé11 said:

Barca is losing cos Andre Gomes is playing. Simple as that.

To be fair to André Gomes, it's not his fault his coach decided to play him out of position. This is on Valverde. What was he thinking? It's a big match, why is he inventing stuff? Start Delofeu.

30 minutes ago, Storts said:

Ter Stegen with two great saves there. Griezmann looks so sharp 

Definitely, Griezmann is looking dangerous. He was heavily criticized in France this week for his performances with the national team. Perhaps he's playing with a chip on his shoulder to shut his critics up.

“Resultadistas” aside, Barça have actually played very well considering it’s an away game against a very good side. The game has been very equal where football is concerned and I expect the second half to be more of the same unless something untoward happens with a red card or anything of that ilk.

Barcelona right now can only hope to draw which would be a very good result. 

55 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

What has he done wrong tonight though?

I admit I haven't been watching the match all the way through, mate. Am distracted by the missus :) 

Was venting my frustration at Valverde playing him. Took it out on him, I suppose.

I just know that whenever Gomes starts, it's never a good thing for us. Results do matter, and Gomes ain't good for results. 

Just goes to show how well Chelsea and Conte did versus Atletico at the Wanda Metropolitano.

ATLÉTICO MADRID 1-1 FC BARCELONA (FT)

Wonderful game of tactical football and one I thoroughly enjoyed.  For the knowledgeable ones on all of this, this isn't points dropped, this is a very important result not only for Barça but also for Atlético Madrid.  It's always hard to play there and there has been added tension because of what's been going on in Spain recently which involves what was going on here today and has been spoken about for over a week in Spain.  Barcelona managed to overcome this and play a very serious game in Madrid against a side that was prepared for what was arriving.

Eye on the facts!  This game is over and done with a point after straight victories from the start.  It's one of the prime games in Spain and one that you can lose in which hasn't occurred here today from Barcelona's perspective.  The next game is a home event and Real still have to play at the Metropolitano which with the way they're playing at the moment I would say anything other than a home victory would be disappointing from Simeone's perspective.

I was expecting a defeat and even though the game could've been won by Barcelona, I am very very happy with the result.  There's a resilience and a belief from this Barça side this season that wasn't there the last campaign.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived