talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Michael O'Neill Rejects Scotland Job to Stay With Northern Ireland

football forum

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I think it would be the best career option for David Moyes I don't think a  Scottish Manager coming to the end of his Managerial Career is what Scotland need right now.

The type of candidate I imagine they'll be looking for is somebody with international tournament experience already or a forward thinking young coach overseas. The Spanish and South American coaches are used to working with midgets.

I wouldn't let Moyes coach a team of under-7's and his work isn't deserving of a national job. It would be wrong and send out the wrong message if he got the job. 

The list of Scottish managers out there is pretty poor, much like England pre-Southgate's appointment, and they should really look elsewhere for a manager. 

Moyes' track record is significantly better than any Scottish manager Scotland have appointed in recent times.

He might have failed at Man Utd and struggled to find somewhere since but he did get to the point where he was Man Utd manager. Strachan, Levein, McCleish etc would be lucky to get a job in Greggs.

11 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Moyes' track record is significantly better than any Scottish manager Scotland have appointed in recent times.

He might have failed at Man Utd and struggled to find somewhere since but he did get to the point where he was Man Utd manager. Strachan, Levein, McCleish etc would be lucky to get a job in Greggs.

That shows how shit Scottish Football managers are and also how shit Moyes is. 

• Subscriber

Feel a bit sorry for Moyes to be honest, that Sunderland job was pretty much lose lose and football isn't what it was when he was successful at Everton.

This one I think would be a good move for him and a decent 'name' for Scotland but in terms of what Moyes is good at as a manager, you're looking at building a good squad with a small budget and building a strong core of a squad like he did with us. Neither of those things are applicable to international football where inspiring your players and being able to deploy effective tactics while spending limited time with your squad are more important. In both of these areas he's never been stand out so this would be a risky appointment for me.

What would suit him down to a tee would be making snide comments about club managers after they complain about players going on international duty before they're fully fit for the club and coming back with injuries.

15 hours ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Remember when Scottish managers used to get praised for being great managers until Fergie retired and Moyes ruined his career. Moyes is probably the best Scotland can hope for right now which says it all.

It didn't help Malkay showed himself to be a racist- only Jamie Vardy can get away with that. 

It's unfortunate for Scotland that a managers life span is so short. Steve Clarke and Paul Lambert were getting creamed over at that time but one bad season has set themselves botj so far back one of them is not even being considered.

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Love how the Daily Record choose to refer to him as 'former Roma manager' when he was never in charge for a single game.

That is a really choice of club for them to reference given all the clubs he managed. He left Roma because his wife became seriously ill, are they expecting something untoward? 🤔

• The title was changed to Michael O'Neill Begins Talks For Scotland Job

Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill will open talks with the Scottish FA on Thursday.

The 48-year-old has been Scotland's number one target since the departure of Gordon Strachan in October.

A compensation package was agreed with the Irish FA last week and O'Neill is to speak to SFA chief executive Stewart Regan and president Alan McRae.

O'Neill has been offered a four-year extension to the two years left on his current Northern Ireland contract.

Neither Northern Ireland nor Scotland have a competitive fixture until the Nations League kicks off in September.

The draw for Uefa's new competition takes place on 24 January.

Former Brechin City and Shamrock Rovers boss O'Neill has been in charge of Northern Ireland for six years, guiding them to Euro 2016 - their first major finals for 30 years.

He steered them to second place behind Germany in a World Cup qualifying group that included the Czech Republic and Norway, only to lose out on a place at this year's finals in Russia after a 1-0 play-off loss to Switzerland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42671440

• The title was changed to Michael O'Neill Rejects Scotland Job to Stay With Northern Ireland
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42778105

Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill has turned down the chance to replace Gordon Strachan as Scotland manager.

O'Neill, 48, had been the Scottish FA's preferred candidate for the role.

The former Brechin City and Shamrock Rovers boss said he had "given the matter a great deal of thought and consideration".

"It's a huge honour to be offered the position however I do not feel that this is the right opportunity for me at this moment in my career," he said.

"I would like to place on record my gratitude to the SFA for the very professional manner in which they conducted negotiations and I would also like to wish them every success for the future."

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan said: "The process of identifying and recruiting a new Scotland national coach remains ongoing.

"The board of the Scottish FA appointed a sub-committee to oversee the recruitment process, compile a list of suitable candidates and ultimately make a recommendation. As part of that process, and in recognition of his work in taking Northern Ireland to UEFA Euro 2016, Michael O'Neill was identified as an obvious candidate for consideration.

"To that end, we requested permission to speak to Michael from the Irish Football Association, which was accepted. Michael and his advisers met our delegation in Edinburgh on Thursday and discussed all aspects of the role during a three-hour meeting.

"While this was a positive and cordial discussion, we respect Michael's decision to remain loyal to Northern Ireland, with whom he has enjoyed great success.

"We wish him well in his future endeavours and thank the Irish FA for their professionalism throughout. We now continue our recruitment process from the candidate list established by the selection committee, with a view to giving the new national coach ample time to prepare the squad for the Uefa Nations League."

saw people on Twitter calling him 'loyal' for sticking with NI. But he still went and spoke with Scotland anyway...?

The Irish FA board has formally approved a new long-term contract for manager Michael O'Neill, Sky Sports News has learned.

The board met earlier this week, with O'Neill's contract the only item on the agenda, and there was unanimous support for the former Newcastle midfielder.

Sky Sports News understands O'Neill will have greater control of all football development matters in Northern Irish football

Archived