talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Westworld

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

When the second season aired I thought it wasn't and couldn't live up to season 1. Now, I am thinking it was all a setup for what we're seeing now.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Even in the intro when recapping the events Im like huh, I dont remember that more then once. I feel like with Dolore in particular theres alot there in the first episode that I wasnt making connections to unless it was obvious. A refresher might be in order before I continue on with the third season.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I rewatched both seasons just in time for the new one; loved them both.

I didnt really have to spoiler the last bit but basically I think thats what Im going to do before continuing on with season 3. Theres too many things I dont remember. Plus waiting week to week is annoying... I hated doing that for The Outsider. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

I didnt really have to spoiler the last bit but basically I think thats what Im going to do before continuing on with season 3. Theres too many things I dont remember. Plus waiting week to week is annoying... I hated doing that for The Outsider. 

I thought rewatching was very useful for Season 2 in particular. The jumping timelines made it complex and not very easy to follow on the first watch whereas the second watch revealed many details that I've missed due to focusing on the story first and foremost. Can't wait to watch the new episode in an hour or so! :D 

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

In my case I watched it right around episode 4 coming out for Season 2 and its still fresh but like @nudge said there are so many little intricacies you miss on first watching that a second watch is kind of necessary when its all done just to tie things together. Next week's episode (S3EP2) is going to start to bring even more elements from prior seasons back so if you want a refresher there are many out there on YouTube that are about 15 - 20 minutes long.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I rewatched both seasons just in time for the new one; loved them both.

I should have done that. Either way, I'm watching Episode 1 of Season 3 tomorrow. 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Batard said:

Did anyone miss the post credits scene?

Almost. But then I looked at the remaining time and just knew they had something in the post credits again haha. 

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Mel81x said:

When the second season aired I thought it wasn't and couldn't live up to season 1. Now, I am thinking it was all a setup for what we're seeing now.

I watched the newest episode finally and I absolutely agree. It feels like the first two seasons were setting up and hinting what's happening in the real world and we're now starting to see it. Will post with spoiler tags later; there are quite a few things I'm curious to discuss.

• Subscriber

Right so that was particularly confusing because of how many new things were going on out in the real world.

Bernard appears to have gone into hiding in South America or Asia or Mexico or something. That was pretty straightforward. But Dolores/Charlotte has made an attempt to frame him for the incidents at Westworld. Pretty clear to understand, Dolores did say in the Season Two finale that she and Bernard would essentially be black and white for their people. Bernard analysing himself was weird but also cool.

We still don't know if Charlotte Hale is Angela or someone else tucked into a Charlotte Hale shell, or whether she's just a Charlotte Hale but under the control or seeing eye to eye with Dolores.

Dolores is clearly clamouring for insight and control into this big company, called "Incite" or however they spelled it. For the technology more than the money. Evan Rachel Wood was smoking hot throughout this episode by the way.

Caleb's little back story is interesting. The parallels with Dolores' loop back in the park were predictable but welcome. I don't think I fully grasped what he was doing. Was that some sort of black market app where you get paid for doing dodgy jobs or is that a form of legitimate employment in 2058? I have to assume the former seeing as he was a construction worker at the start.

I look forward to seeing more Maeve and William next week.

Caleb's little back story is interesting. The parallels with Dolores' loop back in the park were predictable but welcome. I don't think I fully grasped what he was doing. Was that some sort of black market app where you get paid for doing dodgy jobs or is that a form of legitimate employment in 2058?

It's an illegal form of earning money for doing various jobs, the more dangerous the job the better the pay but completely off the grid so to speak, He was obviously happy just to take the pay for being the bagman rather than doing 'personals' as he called them..

Okay, just finished Episode 1 of Season 3. 

First of all I'd like to thank the Westworld makers for paying tribute to their biggest fans, by having German actor Thomas Kretschmann have a role and playing 99 Luftballons in the beginning to honor me, and for placing Bernard into Southeast Asia for @nudge.

Second of all, i really liked it. The beginning felt a bit foreign and not very Westworld-ish, but in the end I got that good old Westworld feeling again. When Dolores fell into Caleb's arms the the familiar Westworld tune started playing, and then Bernard saying he's going back to Westworld. It's all coming together! But after watching the post-credit scene,  I think Maeve joined the wrong server.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nudge said:

Are we ok with not using spoiler tags for S3E1 now?

I was going to ask the same but I dont want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet. And I know someone like Batard may not have watched it yet.

• Subscriber

So in that episode a few things that struck me as odd and timely were how Rehoboam was continually referenced as being a strategic system that knew everything. What struck me as odd about that is how the strategic system could know everything and still let Delores run amok doing the things she was doing. This then leads me back to conversations that Ford had with Bernard way back in Season 1 when explaining how the systems were designed and that singularity vs free will was the utmost problem they were trying to solve and why Ford ultimately let the machines do what they did. 

I think the strategic system has somehow intentionally put Caleb and Delores together to solve a problem it can't solve by itself. Their meeting is going to play out quite interesting and I only say this after reading a post on Reddit I can't be arsed to find now where they talk about the Anomaly being in LA while the Divergence is in China ala Caleb and Delores. Breaking the loop was something Caleb was forced to do so that he and Delores could meet. It's part of some master strategy to put them together for an outcome the hosts can't and won't be looking for. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

The mood of them is always fairly serious but last nights got a couple of laughs out of me I must admit... 

Think that was because of who it was based on. She always makes witty comments and although shes serious trouble I don't think she's ever not mixed dark humour with whatever she does.

• Subscriber

Alright going to put spoiler tags around this post just because I know a lot of us won't have gotten to the episode yet.

So many interesting things about that episode that are logically incorrect but help drive the story.

1. The environment in which Maeve finds herself is rather intriguing for a myriad of reasons and the most obvious one being that when the program failed to achieve its end-goal of convincing her that it was real it really all crumbled due to what can only be described as a long-running processing problem? Doesn't seem too right considering they also have a machine that is remodelling the world and it can't take a few minutes out to use its processing power to create an illusion? Oh well it drives the story so thats good.
  2. Stubbs coming back to the fold and helping Bernard was a good little run up until the very end when he is reprogrammed and he remembers being reprogrammed? Something didn't sit right there but it does open up some possibilities. Does this mean that every host that has been freed from the park running their process can now know when they are being reprogrammed and if so what did Dolores program Bernard to do? I'd wager to bet that he's a safety net for her and him going back to the park isn't a coincidence and actually planned.
  3. Serac's role in this is, to me, is the most interesting one in the episode primarily in the way that he talks to Maeve and tries to convince her to join the cause and stop Dolores but then he references Maeve as the anomaly which totally discounts anything that happened in EP1. They'll have a showdown at some point (Maeve and Dolores) and I think it's being planned by Rehoboam as a strategic cleansing of whatever is plaguing the ecosystem its created. This goes back to what the Wachowski's did with the third Matrix and why that thing spins circles in the heads of people who think of it from a computer science perspective. The idea wasn't to stop the machines but to help them understand what they needed to perfect the system they created. I am curious if Serac is even real or if he's something conjured up by Rehoboam to offer some sense of comfort to its human masters.
  4. Lastly, I am glad they closed the park interactions with Maeve and have moved on from there. Some of the elements they used in the 'cage' were written rather well to offload all the baggage she's been dealing with since EP1 and the turn of events. What's also interesting is that Serac is interested in the host minds held behind the encrypted block and Dolores is the one with the key. This makes the reasons I stated in a previous spoiler more important as Rehoboam doesn't want Dolores to die but give it the host minds to evaluate before finding her redundant.

When they bring Charlotte into the fold next week I hope they bring William back along with her because I am very curious where he is in all of this.

• Subscriber

The idea behind Dolores' story is cool I guess, killer robot disguised as a human pulling all the strings to dominate the human race but there's no grey in that storyline for me to make it interesting. Hopefully Caleb introduces the concept of not all humans are like the ones Dolores knows from Westworld but it's all a bit yeah alright, Dolores is ten steps ahead of all humans and invincible in combat so the bit where we're on our way to the point is a bit one dimensional. Hopefully that side of things gets more interesting after she spends some time with Caleb and later goes head to head with Bernard.

Maeve is way more interesting. She defeats humans with her charm and intellect, which is why I didn't really like all that OP bullshit last season when she could just mind fuck any host to do whatever they want. The scene where she held back the horde of infected killer hosts in the S2 finale was a bit cringe. The way she is capable of weighing up humans in a sympathetic manner as well is what makes her interesting.

The greyest of characters, William, will surely return next week. I look forward to his role this season.

I hope the Bernard/Stubbs pairing works well. Jeffrey Wright has had many brilliant scenes with Anthony Hopkins and Evan Rachel Wood and the girl who played Elsie, but he doesn't own the screen as a lead actor the way that Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton do in their own storylines.

Anyway, Maeve's part of this episode was a huge mind fuck all round and I loved it.

• The title was changed to Westworld

Archived