talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Westworld

football forum

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Great episode.... must get me one of them bikes

Thought this was the best episode in Season 3 so far.

That bike was the saddest and most unnecessary death in the show xD 
Should have just used the remaining rocket grenades instead ffs.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Thought this was the best episode in Season 3 so far.

Reveal hidden contents

That bike was the saddest and most unnecessary death in the show

xD Should have just used the remaining rocket grenades instead ffs.

Totally agree... 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

But anyone else terribly confused as to who to root for? This season makes it very impossible to see who is good or bad. 

No. Maeve ftw. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

No. Maeve ftw. 

Yea, but I don't know, partly I am always rooting for Dolores a little bit. But I think that's just because I like looking at her. xD And I want Bernard to succeed too, whatever the fuck he has in mind. 

I really feel a need to re-watch the last episode. First time in a long time that a Westworld episode did this to me. It was so entertaining. 

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, but I don't know, partly I am always rooting for Dolores a little bit. But I think that's just because I like looking at her. xD And I want Bernard to succeed too, whatever the fuck he has in mind. 

I really feel a need to re-watch the last episode. First time in a long time that a Westworld episode did this to me. It was so entertaining. 

I understand Dolores' motivations and I can sympathise with her to a certain degree but I can't really root for her properly because she's essentially not very different from the humans she's so desperate to destroy - hypocritical, manipulative, seeing things as either black or white, using others as a means to an end, deciding who's worthy of awakening/living etc. In other words, she's playing god just like those who created her, justifying her actions with some noble-sounding ideals, tricking others into following her "for the greater good".

I like Maeve the most because I can relate to her and her world view. She's a lone wolf who doesn't care about taking over the world and becoming a god, or about revenge, or a revolution; she's just trying to live her own life and follow her own path. In that sense, she demonstrates more free will and independence than anyone else. She's nihilistic and understands the flaws of humanity but at the same time also demonstrates empathy and compassion to both humans and hosts alike because she's able to see the moral grayness. One of my favourite parts of her story last season was her letting the hosts make their own choices and respecting them, especially in contrast to how Dolores treated them. Like a sort of a "chaotic neutral", if you wish.

As for Bernard, I just don't care for his character. I can't help but see him as just a confused pawn in whatever game is being played by other entities. 

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

I understand Dolores' motivations and I can sympathise with her to a certain degree but I can't really root for her properly because she's essentially not very different from the humans she's so desperate to destroy - hypocritical, manipulative, seeing things as either black or white, using others as a means to an end, deciding who's worthy of awakening/living etc. In other words, she's playing god just like those who created her, justifying her actions with some noble-sounding ideals, tricking others into following her "for the greater good".

Yea, but she looks so good while doing that. :xxD

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, nudge said:

As for Bernard, I just don't care for his character. I can't help but see him as just a confused pawn in whatever game is being played by other entities. 

Once they revealed what he was it all really started going downhill for him from there. If it wasn't Ford then it was Dolores and if it wasn't either of them then it was his own duality that kept hijacking him as a character. Shame really as out of all the hosts he has the most dangerous knowledge which could be why hes necessary to Dolores's plan.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Once they revealed what he was it all really started going downhill for him from there. If it wasn't Ford then it was Dolores and if it wasn't either of them then it was his own duality that kept hijacking him as a character. Shame really as out of all the hosts he has the most dangerous knowledge which could be why hes necessary to Dolores's plan.

I feel for him a bit as I think he doesn't really belong anywhere. He's not a human and they wouldn't accept him, but he's also not quite like the other hosts as he hasn't been in their position and doesn't really have their experiences with the worst side of humanity. So naturally, he's conflicted and torn without a proper identity, not really having a place in either of the worlds but hoping that they can potentially co-exist peacefully. 

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, nudge said:

I feel for him a bit as I think he doesn't really belong anywhere. He's not a human and they wouldn't accept him, but he's also not quite like the other hosts as he hasn't been in their position and doesn't really have their experiences with the worst side of humanity. So naturally, he's conflicted and torn without a proper identity, not really having a place in either of the worlds but hoping that they can potentially co-exist peacefully. 

Think thats the theme here. Have two factions that are against each other with a true misnomer in the middle who can swing either way. In the recent episode you can almost forgive him for taking the bait to go see the facility which the Dolores clone showed him just because you know his curiosity will get the better of him. 

23 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Hide contents

Dolores is the bad guy in this, she wants to rip humanity to shreds. It remains to be seen whether there will be a place for Caleb and the other "working class" humans after she builds her new world.

I'd let her rip me to shreds if it means I could be close to her for a couple of seconds.

:x

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Something else. Anyone else disappointed how slow the future cars looked? :ph34r:

Sadly I think that's going to be the case with future cars in our actual reality as well (as long as we're talking about self-driving ones). Slow = safer and the reaction times are shorter so the sensors can be less sophisticated therefore cheaper and the algorithms are probably easier to program. 

This is one thing I hope that will never happen in my lifetime. I fucking hate self-driving cars.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

This is one thing I hope that will never happen in my lifetime. I fucking hate self-driving cars.

You know this is a funny topic that me and a few Israeli devs had a three hour+ drinking session on. The whole discussion came about because of how system-generated behavioural patterns for saving life were determined by how many lives it could save and more importantly whether the AI was able to survive after the crash to ensure that the lives it saved weren't in any danger due to its own actions after the fact.

It got to a point where we started writing out equations in our drunken state and finally one of the people I was drinking with said "why the fuck are we even trying to solve this because you know some bureaucrat is going to come along and want the car to be the speed of a lawn mower so that no one dies then we'll all spend the rest of our lives in cars because god-forbid you try and ask the car to break the speed limit". So, you might actually get your wish and we will never see cars go that fast with a machine behind them in our lifetimes but I kinda hope we do because it would be totally fascinating to see what it would do when it encounters a problem that a human can't make decisions on with the limited options we provide ourselves when faced with that kind of problem.

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You know this is a funny topic that me and a few Israeli devs had a three hour+ drinking session on. The whole discussion came about because of how system-generated behavioural patterns for saving life were determined by how many lives it could save and more importantly whether the AI was able to survive after the crash to ensure that the lives it saved weren't in any danger due to its own actions after the fact.

It got to a point where we started writing out equations in our drunken state and finally one of the people I was drinking with said "why the fuck are we even trying to solve this because you know some bureaucrat is going to come along and want the car to be the speed of a lawn mower so that no one dies then we'll all spend the rest of our lives in cars because god-forbid you try and ask the car to break the speed limit". So, you might actually get your wish and we will never see cars go that fast with a machine behind them in our lifetimes but I kinda hope we do because it would be totally fascinating to see what it would do when it encounters a problem that a human can't make decisions on with the limited options we provide ourselves when faced with that kind of problem.

I would like to experience one of your drinking sessions xD Regarding breaking the speed limit: I think it's quite an interesting topic because there are situations when you have to do it in order to avoid an accident etc - we humans have intuition/subconscious calls for that. I wonder how are they dealing with it if the programming doesn't allow them to break the traffic laws in the first place? Are there exceptions? Must be hell of challenge.

While definitely fascinating from the technological side of things and while I would be curious to see it in action, my biggest gripe with it is giving up personal control in just one more area of life. Besides, driving is fun... But I guess we're going terribly off topic here haha. 

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, nudge said:

I would like to experience one of your drinking sessions xD Regarding breaking the speed limit: I think it's quite an interesting topic because there are situations when you have to do it in order to avoid an accident etc - we humans have intuition/subconscious calls for that. I wonder how are they dealing with it if the programming doesn't allow them to break the traffic laws in the first place? Are there exceptions? Must be hell of challenge.

While definitely fascinating from the technological side of things and while I would be curious to see it in action, my biggest gripe with it is giving up personal control in just one more area of life. Besides, driving is fun... But I guess we're going terribly off topic here haha. 

You ever make your way down to India or I make my way to the far-east (happening quite soon me thinks) then we can certainly catch up and have a drink or two or how many ever the bottle(s) allow us to have haha. And yes we did swerve off topic.

It's a shame that you probably have to be sober when "operating" a self driving car. Imagine getting totally hammered at the bar, and you speak into your watch like Michael Knight and ask your car to pick you up. 

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Tommy said:

It's a shame that you probably have to be sober when "operating" a self driving car. Imagine getting totally hammered at the bar, and you speak into your watch like Michael Knight and ask your car to pick you up. 

We call it taxi here... :ph34r:

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Jonathan Nolan talking about the whole Genre thing and it's references. 

https://www.insider.com/westworld-movie-homages-genre-explained-jonathan-nolan-interview-2020-4

That bit was so cool. 

I loved the Ride of the Valkyries as it's always epic but other than that, I didn't see what was the point of the whole drug trip. Just a cool idea I suppose - but for me it felt a bit pointless.

• The title was changed to Westworld

Archived