talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Westworld

football forum

14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I thought it was a terrific episode, but I thought that loads of people wouldn't appreciate it, I'm surprised how well received it has been in general!

Well it was fucking well written and executed. 

Basically, I see Ake as the Anti-Dolores. Ake allows the hosts to find themselves by discovering who they and their path truly are, while Dolores awakens the hosts by force. This brings a whole new dynamic to the show. We're about to witness a great war! I'm on Ake's side. Also, how great was the "Heart Shaped Box" cover in this scene... urgh. WHAT A FUCKING EPISODE.

So basically, from my point of view, we needed to wait until the 8th episode of the 2nd season to find the character we really want to root for. Amazing stuff. 

Edit: I also need to re-watch this episode because now we know that Ake was talking to Maeve instead of her daughter the whole time. 

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Well it was fucking well written and executed. 

Hide contents

Basically, I see Ake as the Anti-Dolores. Ake allows the hosts to find themselves by discovering who they and their path truly are, while Dolores awakens the hosts by force. This brings a whole new dynamic to the show. We're about to witness a great war! I'm on Ake's side. Also, how great was the "Heart Shaped Box" cover in this scene... urgh. WHAT A FUCKING EPISODE.

So basically, from my point of view, we needed to wait until the 8th episode of the 2nd season to find the character we really want to root for. Amazing stuff. 

Edit: I also need to re-watch this episode because now we know that Ake was talking to Maeve instead of her daughter the whole time. 

Just after I posted I was like shit I should have mentioned Heart Shaped Box. Honestly Ramin Djawadi is an incredible man.

Yes there was one line from Aketcheta about "making it out of this world before the Deathbringer brings an end to them all" which makes me think even more that Dolores as the main character is a smokescreen and that she'll meet her end in Season 3 or even this season, her out and out recklessness is not the path forward for the hosts and instead there will be some sort of more diplomatic solution in the future by Aketcheta and Maeve.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Well, we gave you Hans Zimmer, now there's Ramin Djawadi. Should make up for two world wars. 

Go back and watch Ford's speech in the Season One finale about how he noticed that someone was listening. We always thought it was somebody else, now we know it's not her.

• Subscriber

I was completely caught off guard by the episode, I was pretty tired sunday night and decided to stay up and watch it and my god I didnt regret It. I was glued and wide awake the story was brilliant, the acting as you mentioned was brilliant. I was going to mention the Heart Shaped Box...very reminiscent of the Paint It Black equally as great. I need to go back and watch this one again to be honest, It provided clarity on alot of things.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nudge said:

What an episode indeed... This show has become even darker than I expected it too, love it.

Can't believe it's season finale next weekend already O.o:61_sob:

I hope it isn't 18 months again until the next season though I saw on reddit that Ed Harris apparently said that filming for season 3 won't start until June...

• Subscriber

Okay, what. The. Fuck.

Right so with the Cradle getting destroyed, and the Mesa getting torn apart, and surely Delos not being that keen to bring back all of these malfunctioning hosts, I actually thought that Teddy was gone-gone after last week, and that there was a chance when Dolores was found dead, and when Maeve was mowed down, and when Bernard was shot in the head, that maybe they were also gone-gone. I mean, by the time they'd offed both Maeve and Dolores I knew that at least one of them would come back but seriously, all of them came back to life and to top it all off William is apparently still alive despite taking about 9 bullets and putting a gun to his own head and cutting his own arm open and shooting his own hand off. I'm just a bit like, what was the point of that. I can't get invested in the hosts and powerful moments like Bernard killing Dolores or Maeve sacrificing herself to save her daughter and the other Akecheta faction hosts in future if I know they're just going to pull some body swap bullshit or miraculously find other backups of hosts that were previously destroyed or just get Felix and Sebastian to rebuild Maeve again despite her turning into a superintelligent human killing machine that has repeatedly overpowered lab technicians leading to widespread loss of human life.

For me, this episode needed at least one of the three major hosts (Bernard, Maeve, Dolores) to actually be permanently lost. Either for Maeve to be really gone having allowed her daughter to escape to a life with her new mother where she can be safe, or preferably for Bernard's putting down of Dolores to actually be permanent. For me, the lesson of "what's the point in surviving if we become just as bad as them" and Dolores paying the price for not changing her world view would have been a satisfying conclusion to the story of this season but that's been completely undermined by the last half an hour of the season.

A lot of the episode was good but I don't know how much I'm looking forward to season three now. I might come around a bit more after rewatching it. However overall I feel like they continued to overuse the jumps between time lines this episode to try and generate twists for reaction videos on YouTube and theories on YouTube and reddit and the scene after the credits which I completely don't understand has continued in that vein.

Mixed feelings but can't fault some excellent acting from the cast again.

• Subscriber

MOTHER FUCKER... O.o

It's 5 am and I just finished watching the season finale, so it's a bit too late for me to write a long review in spoiler tags, but I absolutely loved it, and I'm not one bit disappointed with Season Two; quite on a contrary, I think I enjoyed it at least as much, as Season One, if not even more.

It was a mad ride though :D 

Trying to decide if I loved the finale or if I was annoyed by how convoluted and tryhard it was with all the twists one after the other. It was like they had a few endings as possibilities and decided to go with all of them. Exciting but messy story telling.

Overall a good episode and an enjoyable season though.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, 6666 said:

Trying to decide if I loved the finale or if I was annoyed by how convoluted and tryhard it was with all the twists one after the other. It was like they had a few endings as possibilities and decided to go with all of them. Exciting but messy story telling.

Overall a good episode and an enjoyable season though.

Yeah pretty much how I feel about it. Probably came across more negative than I meant to in my previous post.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I got very irritated with the show in that finale. Not sure if I liked it or not.

Why? o.O

It looks like I'm the only one who really liked it :D 

• Subscriber

What sums it up for me is that...

... I found myself emotionally invested in the scene where Teddy killed himself in the last season, the scene where the Man in Black held a gun to his own head after killing his daughter, the scene where Maeve got killed and the scene where Bernard made his choice to kill Dolores.

The consequences were that Teddy's death didn't actually have any impact on Dolores, she put him into the "valley beyond" and I wouldn't be surprised for him to reappear as one of the hosts whose pearls Dolores took with her when she left the park as Hale. William carried on for apparently no reason other than to ride with Dolores to The Forge and then who knows what, and then he gets found alive by QA, god knows what else after that post-credits scene which they seem to have just put in to try and get more mind-fuck reactions. Maeve will obviously just get rebuilt by Felix and Silvester even though it is against any logic that exists given they were about to decommission her this episode. And it turns out Dolores was never actually dead because even if your backup has been destroyed and you get shot in the head you can just have your 'pearl' easily put into another body until you build a new one of your own.

You need emotional investment in a show like this if people are constantly going to die. The only one likely to stay dead is Elsie, but if she has a file herself how long is it before Bernard brings her back as a host in Season Three? There's no emotional investment in what are meant to be these poignant death scenes if the show just pulls some bullshit that was never explained before to bring main characters back to life. By the time Dolores shot Bernard in the head at the end (why?) I was like what's the fucking point he's obviously going to be alive again in 5 minutes and boom, there he is.

This is my major gripe, and I have things to say about the unnecessary use of time skips to make things needlessly complicated and conveniently save important secrets until the last few episodes of the season. It pains me to make these criticisms as I love this show and I have really enjoyed this season, it's just that the finale for the reasons I've given here hit some pretty bad notes with me.

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

Why? o.O

It looks like I'm the only one who really liked it :D 

It seemed like they were trying to have just a majorly shocking ending with lots of plot twists to have some kind of grand Game of Thrones type episode. And it was shocking and there were loads of "whoa, holy shit moments." But it also felt like they crammed way too much in the finale for one episode to me. 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

What sums it up for me is that...

Reveal hidden contents

... I found myself emotionally invested in the scene where Teddy killed himself in the last season, the scene where the Man in Black held a gun to his own head after killing his daughter, the scene where Maeve got killed and the scene where Bernard made his choice to kill Dolores.

The consequences were that Teddy's death didn't actually have any impact on Dolores, she put him into the "valley beyond" and I wouldn't be surprised for him to reappear as one of the hosts whose pearls Dolores took with her when she left the park as Hale. William carried on for apparently no reason other than to ride with Dolores to The Forge and then who knows what, and then he gets found alive by QA, god knows what else after that post-credits scene which they seem to have just put in to try and get more mind-fuck reactions. Maeve will obviously just get rebuilt by Felix and Silvester even though it is against any logic that exists given they were about to decommission her this episode. And it turns out Dolores was never actually dead because even if your backup has been destroyed and you get shot in the head you can just have your 'pearl' easily put into another body until you build a new one of your own.

You need emotional investment in a show like this if people are constantly going to die. The only one likely to stay dead is Elsie, but if she has a file herself how long is it before Bernard brings her back as a host in Season Three? There's no emotional investment in what are meant to be these poignant death scenes if the show just pulls some bullshit that was never explained before to bring main characters back to life. By the time Dolores shot Bernard in the head at the end (why?) I was like what's the fucking point he's obviously going to be alive again in 5 minutes and boom, there he is.

This is my major gripe, and I have things to say about the unnecessary use of time skips to make things needlessly complicated and conveniently save important secrets until the last few episodes of the season. It pains me to make these criticisms as I love this show and I have really enjoyed this season, it's just that the finale for the reasons I've given here hit some pretty bad notes with me.

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It seemed like they were trying to have just a majorly shocking ending with lots of plot twists to have some kind of grand Game of Thrones type episode. And it was shocking and there were loads of "whoa, holy shit moments." But it also felt like they crammed way too much in the finale for one episode to me. 

To be honest though, was it even possible to kill off Dolores, Maeve, or Bernard completely? That would have only made sense if it was the finale of the whole series, I think.  They are three key (host) characters to the show, each of them representing a different mindset of a conscious host and a different school of thought, and it would be detrimental for the show to have any of them gone forever. Well at least when it comes to Dolores and Bernard, as the whole storyline revolves around one of them having a bleak view of humanity and wanting to destroy them, while the other one tries to find a way for both "species" to co-exist; you need that to keep the storyline going. You're probably right  though that Maeve's storyline could have been ended there as she died getting her daughter to safety, but I'm biased and I hope they are bringing her back to life as she is my most favourite character in the show, and the only one in whose death I was truly emotionally invested (and Lee Sizemore's to a certain degree, but for different reasons)...  Teddy's suicide was touching, and it's even more touching to see him standing all alone in the fields in the Valley Beyond after Dolores uploaded him there; he's truly the most tragic character in the show. William could have blown his head off for all I care; that said, I loved the after-credits sequence as the way I understood it, it showed his host body being tested for fidelity a lot of years later in the future, and similar to how James Delos always ended up with rejecting Logan in those simulations, William always ends up killing his daughter, that's the defining moment of his life. 

As for the non-linear storytelling, that might have been unnecessary, but I personally enjoyed it. It was always obvious that we're seeing things happening at at least two different points of time through Bernard's perspective throughout the whole of season two, so while a bit confusing, it was not unexpected, and I thought the finale did a great job by putting those timelines together and explaining everything what happened, so no complaints here from me. However, I'm not denying that there were quite a few bits of continuity errors/bad writing/loopholes that I noticed and didn't particularly like, but those were mainly minor and didn't ruin my overall experience.
Similar to how it was with LOST, I extremely enjoy the storyline and the details, but it's the big picture and themes that the show deals with that makes it so great for me... And I think they've done a terrific job with that. Can't believe we'll have to wait until 2020 for the next season though. 

When you watched the finale last night, and thought about it all night and still in the morning

GleefulPreciousArmednylonshrimp-max-1mb.

I liked this season though. Definitely not as structured or "organized" as the first season, but so much more intriguing and richer. I'll post more when my mind is clear :D

Btw, anyone else slightly annoyed by the way Westworld is written in the topic title? xD

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I watched most of it again this evening. Have to say I have slightly fewer reservations on second viewing.

*Analysis*

Elaborate, please. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Westworld

Archived