talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who are you going to manage on FM18?

football forum

Been bored so sat and thought about it. 

I quite fancy Heart of Midlothian for some reason. I think that would be interesting. You've obviously got Celtic who are miles ahead of everyone and then Rangers and Aberdeen as the next best sides plus the likes of Hibernian and a couple of others who could surprise a team like Hearts. 

I think Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday are interesting challenges for different reasons. Sunderland look in dire straits in the real world and I can't imagine they'll be in a much better state on FM and Wednesday have slipped up in the last two Championship play-off's and they'll be expecting success, I think.

Abroad, I haven't even thought yet. I fancy someone who hasn't won a league title in a long time, a bit of a fallen giant, whether in the top league or the second tier. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll probably try Cardiff again as it was the only successful save I had in the last game (before I had my phone wiped due to a dodgy screen and forgot to save the game onto my external SD card or a cloud save if it was available on mobile). A bit boring I know but I don't tend to put loads of hours into FM and the mobile version is the best to get a few seasons out of.

I did start a Wrexham file very briefly so could give that a proper go. Your lot at Leyton Orient could be tempting as well.

• Administrator

Might sound a bit off but may do A-League and try and dominate that as well as the Asian Champions League going up against the big Chinese and Japanese teams. 

A change for me considering I always go for Leicester and try and make them world beaters. 

I only tried something different last season because I enjoyed all your 'journeys' or stories and wanted to make one of my own. 

• Administrator

Nice. Good thing about Australia is that most teams are at a similar level, with only maybe Melbourne City or Sydney FC having any kind of outstanding qualities and financial backing. The latter I'm not too sure on though when it comes to teams overall and it there's salary caps etc. I know there are rules on foreign players and amount of marquee players you can have. 

There's only one team for me when it comes to Football Manager and you might recognise their badge. There are a handful of coincidences with me and that club (names, street names, heritages, etc.) and I've developed something of an affinity for them through all my saves.

110831.png

If they have the USL on the game, I'll give Phoenix Rising a little go as well, but I can't see it

For the beta I’ll let the game randomly select and I’ll take the first Prem club that’s thrown at me. Then when full release is out I’ll likely do an unemployed save again, or if there’s a lower league club I like the look of I’ll do a one club save.

• Subscriber

Well....

Leicester, obviously. Rudkin sacked before I've even spoken to my staff.

May end up doing a save in the lower leagues of some sort. I may do Wigan or Blackburn, something like that, maybe even Portsmouth.

I think I'm about due another save in Italy or Spain. May try someone like Espanyol.

Nantes always ends up happening.

I do wonder if it's time to try something outside of Europe.

• Subscriber

I fully intend to play three at the back with us. I think we have the players.

I might give OH Leuven of Belgium a go too. Our owner's new club so they'll have a relatively good budget for that league. Could be a good one.

Here are a few FM saves I have planned, in order of priority.

Doncaster Rovers

I want to try England again, and play a sort of traditional side. They strike me as a team that screams "english tradition". I'll try to take them to the Premier League in any way possible and then try to win the league with mostly players from the UK or Ireland. A mix of foreigners as well. 

AIK Stockholm

I hate the league schedule in Sweden but I do quite like some of their clubs and AIK Stockholm is one I've always found interest in badging. I have to hold my hands up and say the name + badge attracts me over to the club. 

Jeju United

This is the save I'm doing no matter what in the Beta. I always manage in Korea early on and then go for Europe.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

So you'll sign anyone then? xD

there's also be UK/Irish/Foreign coaches. There will be scouts that scour players in the UK as well as overseas. 

There will be matches home, as well as away, and fans from UK and abroad will be invited. 

• Subscriber

Tell you a club I'm going to have a crack with. FC Wil of Switzerland. Got a good backing apparently, in the 2nd tier (well, were on 17) so you do have to do the bulk of the building, which for me makes a save the most fun it can be.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

You sure @Dan? Pulled this from Wiki;

In July 2015, FC Wil was taken over by Turkish investors MNG group. After an 18-month involvement with the team they abruptly pulled out in January 2017, leaving the club to its own devices. A task-force has formed as a result to save the club from bankruptcy, with the mission of significantly reducing the exorbitant expenses introduced by the investors.

xD

Didn't do my research. Should've been them on 17.

Archived