talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton reject Zidane in favour of Marco Silva

football forum

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everton should at least try for Ancelotti. When McClown was sacked at Newcastle I said our starting position should be to try for Rafa, people laughed and said he'd never join us. Look what happened in the end. If you don't buy a ticket you don't win the lottery. 

I don’t know that Ancelotti is a good option for Everton. Just because he’s a big name in the sport at coaching level doesn’t meant he’s right for the job.

For me Carlo Ancelotti is a great ego coach at clubs where the emphasis is on finishing a job that has all the resources available to compete. Not every coach is good at that and there are different tools for different jobs that look similar.

There’s a lot of work to be done at Everton and Ancelotti isn’t that type of man. Someone in the line of Pochettino who’s good with youth and isn’t afraid to implement a philosophy is the answer.

Maybe “El Loco” Bielsa would be a magnificent option if the players can take the fact he’s not well in the head. 

I like Dyche and I'd like to see him have a shot at a bigger club than Burnley, it'd probably also fuck Burnley up too. It's an important appointment though, they need results quickly if they're going to get what they want out of the season.

• Subscriber

Unsworth 2/1 favourite now after what was apparently an impressive first press conference.

Call it overcompensating (Unsworths raw passion and connection with the club vs Koemans aloofness), but I just have this great feeling about the bloke. I think he could be exactly what we need and I have a feeling about him that I never had about Martinez or Koeman.

I'm surprised but pleased that there are senior figures in the squad who are supportive of his appointment. Probably Jagielka, Baines, Rooney, but I expected that to come more from the young ones who have come through the title winning under 23s with him in charge.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Unsworth 2/1 favourite now after what was apparently an impressive first press conference.

Call it overcompensating (Unsworths raw passion and connection with the club vs Koemans aloofness), but I just have this great feeling about the bloke. I think he could be exactly what we need and I have a feeling about him that I never had about Martinez or Koeman.

I'm surprised but pleased that there are senior figures in the squad who are supportive of his appointment. Probably Jagielka, Baines, Rooney, but I expected that to come more from the young ones who have come through the title winning under 23s with him in charge.

It would be nice to see him do well (not too well mind!). He obviously loves the club and the fans clearly are accepting of his appointment. 

Could work!

15 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

It sounds like to me Unsworth is effectively asking for a quick pay day instead of his long stable job. I hope he gets a long opportunity to prove himself but with the turnover of managers he'd be fortunate to make it to next Christmas.

That long stable job (one he was doing for free for a while btw) will always be available to him here. 

Money isn't the biggest attraction to Unsworth. He wants to be a manager and he wants it to be here. 

30 minutes ago, HK85 said:

That long stable job (one he was doing for free for a while btw) will always be available to him here. 

Money isn't the biggest attraction to Unsworth. He wants to be a manager and he wants it to be here. 

The couple of million he’d receive for taking the job and being sacked would help though. 

1 hour ago, HK85 said:

Lets hope he will last longer as a Manager than he did as an Aston Villa player :ph34r:

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Unsworth is probably as good as it's going to get, the Tuchel and Ancelotti links were bonkers.

Seeing as Tuchel was asked and said he'd be open to the offer I'd dispute that link being bonkers and while I don't think Ancelotti would come and I have my doubts over whether he's the right man for the situation he has said he wants to come back to the Premier League and the rest of the top 6 aren't likely any time soon I can see why it was touted. So not bonkers but unlikely and perhaps fanciful.

What I've heard of Tuchel smacks of him having the same problematic authoritarian approach as Koeman which puts me off big time.

My flag is pinned firmly to Unsworth's post right now. Hopefully the next few games don't change my mind.

The Tuchel and Ancelotti shouts were optimistic, yes, but you have to start at that level then come down. Unsworth is the best option for them for now. He knows the club, he's liked by the players and has proven to be capable at setting a team up with his u23 work.

Tuchel from everything I've read in his time at BvB gives off the impression of being thick skulled like Koeman and Luis Enrique which I'm not sure is needed at this moment in time and on the Ancelotti shout for me as I said further up would be a very wrong move for him and Everton...  That's not his type of situation.

Unsworth sounds perfect right now.

I actually think Marcelo Bielsa would be a very interesting option but I'm not sure he'd go for something where he doesn't understand the language.  He's a convertor, a massive believer in talking to players on a one to one basis and that would be an issue.  But what's needed at Everton, for me he would be amazing!

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Tuchel from everything I've read in his time at BvB gives off the impression of being thick skulled like Koeman and Luis Enrique which I'm not sure is needed at this moment in time and on the Ancelotti shout for me as I said further up would be a very wrong move for him and Everton...  That's not his type of situation.

Unsworth sounds perfect right now.

Koeman is old school, he wont stand for anything and will tear in to the players no matter who they are,  that is probably where it went wrong for him as theses days the players want to be pampered.   

15 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Koeman is old school, he wont stand for anything and will tear in to the players no matter who they are,  that is probably where it went wrong for him as theses days the players want to be pampered.   

Yeah, it seems it's the new way to do things where players won't stand for anything not even being benched or substituted.  Infact I've read a lot recently when bigger sides lose games and in the dressing room the players question the coach and his methods..  Obviously this tends to occur when certain players with "status" have had a bad game or not to his usual standards.  Luis Enrique himself had to change his temperamental ways after the Real Sociedad defeat in his first season.  He done that and the players responded by winning the treble.  Guardiola while at Barça when he'd decided he'd no longer renew and would end it all in that final season said that a moment arrives in modern football where you are no longer wanted by your players and they get tired of you...  He added that this is part of the reason why big clubs need to sign top players constantly so that certain players with weight in the dressing room suddenly feel threatened.  

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah, it seems it's the new way to do things where players won't stand for anything not even being benched or substituted.  Infact I've read a lot recently when bigger sides lose games and in the dressing room the players question the coach and his methods..  Obviously this tends to occur when certain players with "status" have had a bad game or not to his usual standards.  Luis Enrique himself had to change his temperamental ways after the Real Sociedad defeat in his first season.  He done that and the players responded by winning the treble.  Guardiola while at Barça when he'd decided he'd no longer renew and would end it all in that final season said that a moment arrives in modern football where you are no longer wanted by your players and they get tired of you...  He added that this is part of the reason why big clubs need to sign top players constantly so that certain players with weight in the dressing room suddenly feel threatened.  

Koemans is to do with Barkley, regarding his off the field issues and that has effected the squad.

i find alot of top ex players do get very frustrated when they are coaches.

It's not just Barkley that Koeman had issues with. The treatment of Niasse was out of line. I get that he's not good enough because he's a poor footballer but to completely shut him out like he did to force a reaction from the player and paint him as the bad guy was pathetic. I didn't even know how bad that lad had it, I went along with the 'Koeman is ruthless' picture. 

They persuaded Mirallas to sign a new contract, a bad idea in the first place and then put him to one side with no intention of playing him. 

None of this came down to why he was sacked, though. The majority of the squad were still behind him. It was because every week he was being tactically outclassed, whilst picking a system not suited to the players at his disposal and his failure to recognise the problem. 

5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I actually think Marcelo Bielsa would be a very interesting option but I'm not sure he'd go for something where he doesn't understand the language.  He's a convertor, a massive believer in talking to players on a one to one basis and that would be an issue.  But what's needed at Everton, for me he would be amazing!

I wouldn't touch Bielsa right now, having a mare at Lille at the moment. No doubt he's done great things in the past but unfortunately the modern footballer doesn't react positively to some of his old school, brutal methods. It's shame footballers are complete fannies nowadays. 

Bit left field but what about Guus Hiddink?

I know he's been around the block. I have no clue what he's doing now, I assume he's not in a job, but he could be a shout, even if it was to the end of the season. Maybe even with Unsworth under him as an assistant grooming him for the job in the summer.

He's got experience of managing in the Premier League not to mention, pretty much everywhere else, and he's a very good man manager, seems to be popular amongst the playing staff and fans.

I could actually see him prepared to take it on too, even on a short term deal, to stabilise things and leave them in a promising position for someone more long term to take forward.

Unsworth will probably end up getting it to the end of the season, always wonder about caretakers, I can't see them climbing to 7th where they should be no matter who they appoint because I just don't think they're very good but Unsworth knows the club and will certainly improve them.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Toony said:

Unsworth will probably end up getting it to the end of the season, always wonder about caretakers, I can't see them climbing to 7th where they should be no matter who they appoint because I just don't think they're very good but Unsworth knows the club and will certainly improve them.

Not many points away from catching up and we've been to City Chelsea and United already so it's still doable. We should be looking to win pretty much all of our home games apart from the four of the big six we still have to play at home, the away form can't be worse than it was last season when we still comfortably finished 7th so for me it's still very doable.

• The title was changed to Allardyce Sacked; Silva Tipped to Take Over

Archived