talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester Hire Claude Puel To Replace Craig Shakespeare

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

while I agree with the bit in bold, when I say current situation, I don't mean hark back to May/June 2016. 

I mean right now in the bottom 3 and lifting a team's morale as well as implementing new methods as you say. My point being that any manager should expect to do that. 

In fact, all that crap you mention in the first paragraph is irrelevant to the conversation xD. As true as it is, it's a talking point for another topic!

:oxD

Yeah...  But at the time a big name could've been reeled in where as now you're talking about your Sam Allerdyces of this world which is a horrible thought.

• Subscriber

The fact of the matter is the club has been absolutely devoid of any long-term direction since Pearson left. He was the first big loss and Steve Walsh was the other. It was those two and Shakespeare as a trio that had the perfect balance - they were the ones implementing sports science, an efficient scouting system that brought in players that fit a plan, cheaper, younger players with a point to prove, players with the right character. Yeah they weren't perfect, there were errors on the way, but every single year with those three we were that bit stronger than the year before. That was unquestionable.

Ranieri came in and delivered something incredible, beyond anyone's dreams and one of the sporting stories of all time - but he wasn't really one for the long haul here, as mental as it sounds I feel he took something that was already on the up (and granted, made it better than I thought anyone ever could) but had no idea how to actually take it any further. Ranieri hasn't ever been a long term builder. The evidence is indisputable.

Now Ranieri's gone, Walsh has gone, Pearson's gone and Shakespeare has gone. What are we left with? Rudkin (we'll get to him in a minute), Appleton and Stowell. Appleton brought in as Shakespeare's assistant and will take charge of us this weekend at Swansea. Stowell who has been here a while, can't really say I know a great deal, Rudkin, an absolute cancer on the club who seems so bulletproof that it's almost suspicious. That this bloke is the one telling Ranieri and Shakespeare that they've been sacked while overseeing a series of absolutely shambolic transfer windows and goings on at the club is a fucking disgrace.

The owners should be accountable for keeping him and others on.

We need a clear out behind the scenes, some footballing nous back at the club again and a gradual rebuild on the pitch. Shakespeare I hoped being a part of that trio with Walsh and Pearson would gradually bring that but unfortunately he's looked more out of his depth by the week. We need a big character here, someone who will steady the ship and assess how it can be taken forward.

What I think we'll get is more short-termism, like Ranieri was* and that joke Rudkin still in a job.

* Don't ever forget how most people reacted to the Ranieri appointment. He looked absolutely finished. Factor in these things: Pearson had been sacked for non-footballing reasons in late June, when pre-season training had kicked in, Leicester needed a manager and quick. Ranieri threw his name into the hat and got the job. I'm sorry, I'm scepitcal, I don't give us credit on that, it was a wildcard that worked out in a way no-one thought could possibly happen.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

:oxD

Yeah...  But at the time a big name could've been reeled in where as now you're talking about your Sam Allerdyces of this world which is a horrible thought.

i know, but again, i'm talking about current situation. Not what we could/should have done. 

Just now, Stan said:

i know, but again, i'm talking about current situation. Not what we could/should have done. 

I know...  The end game in my comment though is that it's a Sam Allerdyce type appointment now, isn't it?

If this is the case, how doe you feel about that?

• Administrator
Just now, Aaroncpfc said:

Have the people responsible for the Drinkwater/ Silva fuck up been sacked? No? Being a Manager is an easy gig to make money off the payoff but youd have to be thick skinned to put up with the shit for the short time you are employed.

this is the really fucking annoying thing to be honest. We've had about 2 or 3 consecutive underwhelming transfer windows and several fuck ups in the sense of poor acquisitions and that is by no means all down to the manager yet they get away scot-free.

Rudkin is our director of football in charge of it all and he needs to be gone. I don't know what it will take to get him gone or why he hasn't yet. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Have the people responsible for the Drinkwater/ Silva fuck up been sacked? No? Being a Manager is an easy gig to make money off the payoff but youd have to be thick skinned to put up with the shit for the short time you are employed.

No, they're responsible for telling the manager that they're out.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

No, they're responsible for telling the manager that they're out.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

Jesus. I do worry for teams like Leicester and Palace if they drop. If they make such basic errors with the current wealth at their disposal what is it going to be like when they're forced to cut the cloth?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Jesus. I do worry for teams like Leicester and Palace if they drop. If they make such basic errors with the current wealth at their disposal what is it going to be like when they're forced to cut the cloth?

Frightening isn't it. Sunderland in the making. At least last time it wasn't on such a big scale, it was probably more like what Derby are now and thankfully we had the ideal man for the job in to get us up.

If we go down this year we're left with probably the biggest wage budget the second tier has ever seen. Fuck me, our wage bill's higher than Atletico and Dortmund.

FAO Craig Shakespeare and Leicester. What goes around, comes around.

I have nothing personal against Leicester City. However, I've never forgiven them for sacking this man...especially in the snaky manner it happened.

Claudio-Ranieri-654428.jpg.d11d8118a8d94467bffd7952d3cd57e1.jpg

#JusticeForClaudio.

Correct decision. The bloke was out of his depth. Can't recall anything off the top of my head where a club has given the assistant manager the job long term and it has ended well? 

Not sure who to suggest. Maybe Fulham's manager? He impressed me last season but they've been poor so far this.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Fair to say they are 18th currently, however Claudio should have stayed even after the bad start he deserved that much.

Mate, we were in the relegation zone in February when he got sacked. We were heading down to the Championship if he stayed. 

I doubt any club would accept being in that position and risking the clubs future just cos someone 'deserved that much'. Otherwise it would have just given him free reign to not care about the rest of his time cos he won the league that season before? 

Just now, Stan said:

Mate, we were in the relegation zone in February when he got sacked. We were heading down to the Championship if he stayed. 

I doubt any club would accept being in that position and risking the clubs future just cos someone 'deserved that much'. Otherwise it would have just given him free reign to not care about the rest of his time cos he won the league that season before? 

I've read that the players turned against him if there is any truth in that?

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I've read that the players turned against him if there is any truth in that?

Yet there's no conclusive proof of this...

Journalists reported that players went to the board and said he needs to go. Ranieri himself said this didn't happen. 

Obviously non-Leicester fans will only believe one side. 

As for players not performing etc, Ranieri's tactics were different to that of the Premier League winning season, hence the drop in performances and refusal to change back to playing to our strengths. Plus the poor transfer business in the summer after winning the league contributed to our 'downfall'. 

So no, it's not all down to the players. And if people start with the 'but Shakespeare came in and the players upped their performance'. Well yeah, that's cos we went back to what we knew best. 

Anyway, been over this numerous times over the past 18 months xD . People will believe what they want to and that's fine. Can't change the past! 

Can't believe I'm reading that Ranieri deserved to be allowed to take Leicester down but Shakespeare didn't deserve his chance after the improvement he oversaw. What a ridiculous double standard.

It clearly didn't work out for Shakespeare, but I don't think it's right to say giving him the job permanently in the first place was a stupid move.

5 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Can't believe I'm reading that Ranieri deserved to be allowed to take Leicester down but Shakespeare didn't deserve his chance after the improvement he oversaw. What a ridiculous double standard.

It clearly didn't work out for Shakespeare, but I don't think it's right to say giving him the job permanently in the first place was a stupid move.

I don't know if I've read you correctly, probably not as I'm knackered.  But are you saying Shakespeare deserves the same public treatment as Claudio Ranieri in terms of achievements with Leicester?

25 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I don't know if I've read you correctly, probably not as I'm knackered.  But are you saying Shakespeare deserves the same public treatment as Claudio Ranieri in terms of achievements with Leicester?

Absolutely not, and I don't want to re-hash the argument over Ranieri's firing, but I don't think it's logically consistent to say he deserved to be given time when he was getting Leicester relegated while also saying Shakespeare shouldn't have been given the job at the start of this season after the way he finished last season.

• Subscriber

People need to forget about Ranieri now. We weren't wrong to get rid of him. If Ranieri was still here we'd be in the Championship. We were in freefall under him in the end.

Again though, I must stress it's more than about the manager. I think we're a poisoned chalice now.

• The title was changed to Leicester Hire Claude Puel To Replace Craig Shakespeare

Archived