talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester Hire Claude Puel To Replace Craig Shakespeare

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in this thread earlier, Puel is working with a better set of attacking players at Leicester than he did at Southampton. When you have a dry attack with Austin, Long and Rodriguez getting you nothing and Redmond and Tadic having more poor games than good ones, you are always going to struggle. Only Gabbiadini was the most decent option.

That might change his focus more at Leicester. What will be interesting is seeing if he can find a way to accommodate Iheanacho in this team as I'm sure he wasn't bought to sit on the bench.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Lucas said:

As I said in this thread earlier, Puel is working with a better set of attacking players at Leicester than he did at Southampton. When you have a dry attack with Austin, Long and Rodriguez getting you nothing and Redmond and Tadic having more poor games than good ones, you are always going to struggle. Only Gabbiadini was the most decent option.

That might change his focus more at Leicester. What will be interesting is seeing if he can find a way to accommodate Iheanacho in this team as I'm sure he wasn't bought to sit on the bench.

I just like the way he came in and immediately put his marker on the side. It's right what someone said, he managed something there in one game that Shakespeare didn't in 25 as manager. He's come in, totally unbiased and picked something he believed in - primarily youth and pace out wide, and it paid dividends.

It seems like common sense in hindsight and I've said all along the reason Mahrez has dipped is because the team's worsened - losing Kante is a major blow and when you have someone like Amartey or King replace him, you've got a lot less to worry about. Throw in the pace of Gray and Chilwell (although I'll single Gray out as he was excellent yesterday) and all of a sudden the opposition defence can't stick about three men on Mahrez. Both Shakespeare and Ranieri did absolutely nothing for Mahrez in terms of how they set the team up after Kante left, but for some weird reason in this country we are utterly obsessed with putting everything down to motivation. If Puel wants to be that positive going forward then I think you'll see the Mahrez of a couple of years ago - and sadly for us he'll finally get his move (although I'd take that over seeing him wasted).

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

It has now been revealed that The Foxes asked the 66-year-old to return to the club after Shakespeare was axed, but Ranieri said"No thanks" when approached, according to an interview in today's Corriere delo Sport via The Mirror.

xD

apparently we didn't actually contact him so...

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

It has now been revealed that The Foxes asked the 66-year-old to return to the club after Shakespeare was axed, but Ranieri said"No thanks" when approached, according to an interview in today's Corriere delo Sport via The Mirror.

xD

Anyone who believes that will believe literally anything.

• Administrator
Just now, Dan said:

Anyone who believes that will believe literally anything.

also:

get rid of Ranieri - get laughed at

suggest bringing Ranieri back (if true) - get laughed at

:dam:

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
On 20/10/2017 at 6:15 PM, Stan said:

i've already fallen asleep at the thought of him managing us.

On 24/10/2017 at 4:04 AM, Lucas said:

He didn't have a terrible season with Southampton when you bare in mind they got to a cup final at Wembley and finished 8th. The problem was they scored nearly 20 goals less than the previous season under Koeman so it looked a lot worse than it was.

That said, I think you can aim for someone better than that. Pellegrini being the obvious one.

On 25/10/2017 at 10:01 AM, VanPaddy said:

Claude Puel, will be manager by tomorrow. xD

On 25/10/2017 at 10:56 AM, Kitchen Sales said:

Appointing a manager not good enough for Southampton and hoping that they were wrong to think that. Interesting.

On 25/10/2017 at 11:18 AM, Cannabis said:

Claude fucking Puel?! xD Have a day off Leicester.

On 25/10/2017 at 7:52 PM, Smiley Culture said:

Claude Puel? That's a proper shit appointment. 

you absolute muppets (yes, I do include myself in this).

Early days, of course, but certainly proving many wrong so far.

8 games. 5 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss.

More importantly, we're playing some really good football and he's getting the best out of Mahrez once again. Talking 15/16 shades of form. He's got us playing a nice attacking style combining the likes of Mahrez, Gray, Albrighton, Okazaki behind Vardy.

Things are looking promising so far. 

To be fair Puel hasn't failed as a manager recently. Did very good at Nice, then did well at Saints last season too. Has had an impressive start at Leicester, and from what I've seen, they are playing entertaining stuff.

27 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

It seems everyone massively overrated Southampton's team last year. Clearly wasn't all Paul's fault for their attacking problems. 

Looking like a very tidy appointment by Leicester so far. Still very early days though.

It's Claude.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Don't tempt fate for yourself Stan, he's only got 1 more point than Shakespeare had in his first 8 games.

whilst I'm happy to accept that and understand it, Puel at least has more managerial nous about him and definitely more experience managing teams than Shakespeare did. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Two words. Craig Shakespeare. 

Looked like Mourinho last season, looked like Egil Olsen this season. 

Craig Shakespeare hasn't really got much of a track record to back it up. Shakespeare got us playing a slightly watered down version of our league winning form and when people sussed it he had no answer.

We've played a different level of football under Puel. Some of the best stuff I've seen us play and I include the title year in that.

He's got a track record of being at clubs for years and improving them. I wasn't encouraged at first, largely because of what Southampton fans say but if you look back, Southampton's the one club where it hasn't really gone THAT well and they've regressed since he's gone. He's doing great.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Don't tempt fate for yourself Stan, he's only got 1 more point than Shakespeare had in his first 8 games.

And two more than Ranieri xD mad how well they all seem to start.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

It seems everyone massively overrated Southampton's team last year. Clearly wasn't all Paul's fault for their attacking problems. 

Looking like a very tidy appointment by Leicester so far. Still very early days though.

Been interesting reading what Southampton fans are saying - a lot saying they were still right to get of Puel and that Pellegrino being worse doesn't change that as the fault is with appointing him and not sacking Puel, on the flip side a lot saying that maybe considering all the circumstances Puel didn't do that badly - tougher schedule, weaker squad due to injuries and a lot now saying that if you look at the way we played yesterday, and in previous games under him it was more the players that were the problem and not him. Boring football he was accused of and he's just gone away there and stuck 4 past them xD

We're in a lot better form than people think. Not just 4 wins in a row but it's something like 1 defeat in 11 (to Man City) as well.

• Subscriber

What more did Southampton expect from him? Cup final and a decent league finish. Despite them thinking they're a big enough club that Everton could never tempt Koeman away from them (which still makes me laugh even if the joke was ultimately on us getting a gash manager), that rates as a good season for them.

• Subscriber

Their fans just said he was plain dull, his football and his personality, must admit I find his interviews a bit of a chore but I really couldn't care less if we're any good on the pitch. Not arsed about a soundbite manager. Much prefer his tactical brain and his emphasis on development.

They were worse under him than Koeman but hindsight tells you their squad just isn't that great anymore, is the simplest conclusion I can make. They did very well to have the likes of Lallana and Mane. They haven't got anyone within lightyears of those two now.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Aye. xD No bullshit, after reading your recent comments(you had the same overreaction with Craig) I swear I was wondering when you would bring the bet back up.

Well lets be honest, there's no way I'm going to lose.

Archived