• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester Hire Claude Puel To Replace Craig Shakespeare

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, Aaroncpfc said:

Imagine what he would have been like to Demari Gray when he caught wind that he was trying to angle a move elsewhere.

It was Mahrez who was worse for that. His antics on deadline day were poor.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Mahrez has achieved a lot more than Gray though. 

Definitely and I've stated many a time I don't hold it against Mahrez at all for wanting to go, although thought that was a poor move on his behalf. Gray I think has an attitude problem, thinks he's a lot better than he is and hasn't turned in nearly enough on the pitch to justify the hype. He's got something, for sure, and I hope that Puel can bring that out of players like him, but he's got a way to go. Not even in the same breath as Mahrez.

I don't think he's a bad choice, done well in France and done well at Saints even if they expected more.

Leicester aren't a big club so the appointments match.

I'd question however how much the owners knew about him before he moved to England.

What did saints expect? They can't exactly think they will break the top 6 or 7 with their transfer policy. He got them 8th and a cup final, id say that was pretty bloody good going for Southampton. 

5 hours ago, FOYM said:

What did saints expect? They can't exactly think they will break the top 6 or 7 with their transfer policy. He got them 8th and a cup final, id say that was pretty bloody good going for Southampton. 

From a glass half full perspective maybe, although that is also a tad naive.

I agree with you on the transfer policy down at Saints, especially as they lost Mane that season and replaced him with Redmond, but irrespective of that, last season's table was very misleading. Everyone below Everton in 7th were absolute gash.

Case in point being Southampton only accumulated 46pts with 41 goals scored. Koeman's last season they had 63pts with 59 goals.

Was that really good enough? I don't think so.

That said, it's unfair to judge Puel at Leicester yet. He has something about him and arguably has a better pool of players to work with.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Toony said:

I rate him, I've already said. Personally I'd rather have a manager that gets results and gets to cup finals than have a manager that plays good football but is fucking useless.

His football in France was regarded as the total opposite of boring too as far as I've been made aware. At Southampton he was probably overly cautious when trying to be pragmatic.

12 hours ago, FOYM said:

To be fair though I think outside the top 7 the league was piss poor last year. We turned up for about a third of the season if I'm being generous and we were a wrongly disallowed goal on the final day away from finishing 9th. Southampton were the best of a bad bunch in that regard and even though it looks an OK season on paper, I can totally believe they regressed. Significantly less goals than previous years and actually nearer to 18th than 7th in terms of points. I think their points tally in previous years would've had them around 12th/13th.

But to be fair to Puel too, he had a lot go against him from what I read. Injuries to key players, one of his signings (Pied) got a long term injury on the opening day of the season, their usual stripping of their best players in the summer. They probably weren't getting higher than 8th but it was how much they'd dropped. Like I said I don't think you had to be that good to come 8th last year. Southampton's managerial picks usually have something about them.

The big issue apparently was that one of the main reasons they got him in was his experience of managing in Europe. Southampton placed some emphasis on doing well in Europe and they ended up crashing out of a group at the hands of Sparta Prague and Hapoel Be'er-Sheva. Embarrassing really.

This really could go either way. He's got a lot to suggest he'll add to this team (that BADLY needs a shake up in terms of style and personnel) but I'm just worried that his possession game will clash with our players and we'll hit an ineffective medium that'll plunge us into trouble.

I think we have more attacking talent than Southampton, but a worse midfield and defence.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It is a bit of a dull one but Puel did decent with Southampton and for me, Leicester employing a Pardew or Allardyce is a statement that they accept their place is battling for 12th place every season.

That's probably half the reason the media are on our case (again), they seem genuinely baffled by us wanting to do better for ourselves. It's proper weird. There's a real feeling of "you've had your fun now fuck off home" and I just find it bemusing. Taking that kind of attitude is undermining the entire sport. There's plenty of sticks you can beat Leicester with but wanting to better ourselves? Utter garbage.

I've quite warmed to this one. His interviews are going to be dull but I'm really not arsed, Pearson's were always pretty dull (with the odd ostrich comment) and he did great for us. Southampton seems to be the anomaly for him so far and to be fair, are they any better now?

Puel's upside is a lot higher than Pardew's.

• Subscriber

Puel did fine at Southampton. I don't really understand the writing off of his cup final run with them just because he didn't win it. A cup final for Southampton beating Liverpool in the semi finals is an achievement and they can't deem it a failure to lose to United in the final. It's like if Spurs got to the Champions League final this season and lost to Barcelona. That would be an achievement for them and god knows the football hive mind would be getting their lube out ready to wank over Poch all summer if that happened.

I don't know much about his record before Southampton to be honest.

The only other option is Dyche but I'm a bit unsure about how well he's actually done. No doubt he's done well getting Burnley up and keeping them up but keeping teams in the Premier League doesn't really set him apart from the likes of Allardyce and Pulis, I just think people get excited because he's new to that party. It would be harsh not to acknowledge that Dyche has done all that could reasonably be expected of him at Burnley, I'm just not convinced he's done much more than build a decent squad of hard working players and got them organised on the pitch.

Still surprised he's being linked with us as although the league table doesn't reflect it, managing Everton with a host of international players at his disposal and a much bigger transfer budget is a different kettle of fish. Leicester is a sensible middle step between the two so I could have seen him moving there but there's nothing wrong with Puel.

32 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

At least you know you'll get at least a point at Anfield later in the season. Puel always gets one over on us. At both Southampton and Lyon he's unbeaten against us

Klopp was unbeaten against Poch until last weekend. 

3 hours ago, Dan said:

I do find it quite encouraging that Southampton kept four clean sheets against Liverpool last year. That's a great effort.

I reckon it doesn't take a lot for Southampton to get motivated against us, after the way we have consistently snapped their players. 

Archived