talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marc Overmars agrees to Arsenal move

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well he's highly rated from his work at Ajax but English football is a completely different kettle of fish. It will be interesting to see how he settles.

On a side note I absolutely loved him as a player. Quick, skillfull, direct. Whilst Arsenal identified a great replacement in Robert Piers both Overmars and Petit did feel like a big loss to the league at the time.

Wenger has always been reluctant to work in conjunction with a director of football given that he is reluctant to delegate.

Earlier this year, Wenger said: 'I never understand what it means, director of football. I'm manager of Arsenal and as long as I am manager, I will decide what happens on the technical front. That's it.'

It therefore remains to be seen how much influence Overmars will have though he brings plenty of experience in such technical matters from five years in the role at Ajax.

2 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Wenger has always been reluctant to work in conjunction with a director of football given that he is reluctant to delegate.

Earlier this year, Wenger said: 'I never understand what it means, director of football. I'm manager of Arsenal and as long as I am manager, I will decide what happens on the technical front. That's it.'

It therefore remains to be seen how much influence Overmars will have though he brings plenty of experience in such technical matters from five years in the role at Ajax.

So it’s one of two things... He’s either had Overmars forced upon him because the club are just going to go ahead and bring the technical side of things into the 21st century or Overmars has come to Arsenal to get paid for doing very little (that second one is very common at Arsenal).

For me, things are starting to happen and I can’t see a Dutchman coming to a club to be a slient nobody. If that’s the case, he’ll end up getting pissed off and it won’t be long before we hear about it.

There’s still a long way yo go though... A director for football needs a team around him and it isn’t a job consisting of just one person. Plus the head coach shouldn’t have any say in any decision and should only be consulted for an opinion.

Does anyone see Arsene Wenger accepting that?

11 hours ago, SirBalon said:

So it’s one of two things... He’s either had Overmars forced upon him because the club are just going to go ahead and bring the technical side of things into the 21st century or Overmars has come to Arsenal to get paid for doing very little (that second one is very common at Arsenal).

For me, things are starting to happen and I can’t see a Dutchman coming to a club to be a slient nobody. If that’s the case, he’ll end up getting pissed off and it won’t be long before we hear about it.

There’s still a long way yo go though... A director for football needs a team around him and it isn’t a job consisting of just one person. Plus the head coach shouldn’t have any say in any decision and should only be consulted for an opinion.

Does anyone see Arsene Wenger accepting that?

It is definitely forced on him by the board,  it does look like they are setting things up next year for after Wenger but it could also backfire, setting up a system that Wenger will not work with which it could piss Overmars off and he could be gone before a new manager does come in. 

Archived