talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would Poch leave Spurs for a big club?

Spurs are a big club, just missing having something in their Trophy Room regularly.

Yes he would leave if opportunity came his way of managering a club who just do that, win something regular.

However, I believe to have that opportunity, he must win something substantial at Spurs as his reputation of a man who allows potential young players to flourish, isnt something those regular winners are worried about.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Mel81x said:

If he keeps going at the rate he is going now there's no reason to believe people will come in with offers in the summer for his services or maybe even before that.

Think a team like Real or PSG could make a huge offer next summer without a doubt

People say Wenger has an easy ride which is bollocks as he's been a media target for near 10 years. At Tottenham, you get worshipped for nearly doing things. If he wants to be taken seriously he needs to move to a big club, being a former PSG player he may make a move there.

Pochettino to PSG, Kane to Real Madrid, Eriksen to Barcelona, Tottenham to the bin.

24 minutes ago, 6666 said:

People say Wenger has an easy ride which is bollocks as he's been a media target for near 10 years. At Tottenham, you get worshipped for nearly doing things. If he wants to be taken seriously he needs to move to a big club, being a former PSG player he may make a move there.

Pochettino to PSG, Kane to Real Madrid, Eriksen to Barcelona, Tottenham to the bin.

The difference is Wenger does have an easy ride by his own club owners. But yes he has taken a lot from the press and that is now filtering down to the fans.  A lot of it is his own doing though.

Wenger has taken a lot from the media but he's also been defended for years by the media like he was some sort of untouchable football guru.  He could say anything and it would be treated like gospel.  He's started to take more and more flak from the press when they saw it was all now a load of rubbish.

47 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Wenger has taken a lot from the media but he's also been defended for years by the media like he was some sort of untouchable football guru.  He could say anything and it would be treated like gospel.  He's started to take more and more flak from the press when they saw it was all now a load of rubbish.

Well yes when you look how Spurs are run which is similar to the Arsenal boards running of the club.  But Spurs are going to their new stadium with their best team they have had in years. Arsenal went to their new stadium filled with lies and with a weak team after selling players for funding, also they had uninterested Henry who left after A season.  I think looking back Arsenal fans would rather of stayed at Highbury.

1 minute ago, VanPaddy said:

Well yes when you look how Spurs are run which is similar to the Arsenal boards running of the club.  But Spurs are going to their new stadium with theit best team they have had in years. Arsenal went to their new stadium filled with lies and with a weak team, an uninterested Henry who left after A season.  I think looking back Arsenal fans would rather of stayed at Highbury.

I don't know if the statements made at the time by the Arsenal board we had when we moved were lies or just that they didn't expect things to become so stagnant as they did.  Maybe they expected much more from that "golden generation" of youngsters we had at the club at the time.  I go back to my previous post in that Arsenal and Wenger used to get great press for years and that era we had some youngsters that were playing in cup competitions against some Premier League clubs and beating them...  If not, definitely competing against anyone and that was a second string.

The thing is that betting on youngsters with everything about your future without planning is mental.  That's the way it seems it happened because anything else and we certainly have a case for lies.  So it's either ineptitude or lies!

With Spurs I think they're gonna be in the same boat as us... This is a thread about Pochettino so with Arsenal stuff we're gong off topic and relating it to Tottenham Hotspur makes it less of a hijack.  Nobody has any idea whatsoever what will happen unless they're soothsayers and can view the future.  Maybe past mistakes by others have made Spurs plan more adequately ahead and to be honest there's been plenty of clubs that have built new stadiums and remained competitive or that a dry spell has been short lived.

Like I'm saying...  I don't know the ins and outs of the situation at Tottenham and how they've financed their new stadium.  I have no idea if this is going to stunt how much they'll be able to spend on the football side of things where player recruitment is concerned because one thing's for sure and that's the more their present status players make a mark and punch headlines, the more massive clubs with more than just money will be whispering in those players ears (not that these things need much whispering).  Once those players leave, it's very difficult to bring in similar competitiveness if you're being knee-capped financially.

So, only the more avid Spurs fans will know how bright the future seems and how much Mauricio Pochettino will be backed in what he needs.  Unless Pochettino wants to be a breeder of young talents without chasing more ambitious success, then the answers lie somewhere within those points.

Nobody knows the future and as a football fan you can only hope that the people paid to plan ahead are doing so correctly.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Pep Talk said:

Think a team like Real or PSG could make a huge offer next summer without a doubt

I'd rule PSG out if UEFA slaps them on the wrist for what they are doing. Also, I can't see how they need Kane or Poch considering Emery already has Mbappe and their other summer acquisitions so they're solid for a bit in both the managerial and striker department for the moment.

Spurs back him financially (when he needs it) and they actually win some silverware, can't see him leaving, nor the likes of Kane, Erikson, etc. What he did with Spurs and bringing out the best in some players is noteworthy. 

17 hours ago, 6666 said:

Also Spurs fans won't love him forever if he doesn't win things. At the moment what he is doing is good but if he doesn't start to win things the fans will start to complain.

12 hours ago, Cicero said:

Spurs back him financially (when he needs it) and they actually win some silverware, can't see him leaving, nor the likes of Kane, Erikson, etc. What he did with Spurs and bringing out the best in some players is noteworthy. 

What silverware?

Thing is, Pochettino is 45. He is still a young pup in the management game. Time is on his side.

Let's have it right, Tottenham have kind of always had the piss taken out of them by many other fans for being a laughing stock, be it failing to live up to expectations, previous managers or bottle jobs from a brilliant position. The fans do like to give a lot of mouth which has never helped their cause but they are starting to back up the words more these days by competing at the right end for trophies.

When you've gone into a club and basically changed the whole philosophy, you want to continue and see it out, especially when you are no where near to taking the club as far as it can go. The first team is arguably the best balanced eleven on paper in the PL. More importantly, it's young and exuberant. The squad looks a little deeper now with the summer additions and people like Harry Winks improving. There is a new stadium on the horizon. Regular Champions League football. They deserve a trophy to show for their performances over the last three years.

Pochettino has ambition. He will naturally want to test himself on as big a platform as possible but he will do it when he feels the time is right and for a man of many beliefs, I think he knows now is not the right time when he's put so many foundations down at Spurs. He knows it's exciting times at the club and he's on the cusp of doing special things there so I can't see him wanting to go and let someone else reap the rewards. Not only that, but he's built up such a positive reputation for himself now that he's being coveted for the top jobs and could take one of these at any time, there's no rush.

Unless someone seriously upsets the applecart there, I can see him staying for at least another two, possibly three years.

26 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

There is no rush for him to go anywhere right now and he currently has a squad there capable of doing things. It's a big challenge for him but one he can succeed in.

I reckon his team will be dismantled from it's spine at the end of this season...  The only way I can see Spurs maintaining those players is if they win something big like the Premier League or the Champions League.  Nothing else will be enough for some of those players who will inevitably have a few of Europe's giants offering them "eternal fame".

On 10/18/2017 at 5:09 PM, Harry said:

I think if you guys won the title or the champions league this year he'd be more likely to move on. 

However incremental progress and cementing second place and he'd still feel like there was unfinished business. 

yeah. totally agree.  win something first for Spurs and then go seek for another challenge.     But the rumors about Madrid courting him is gaining much momentum.  

Archived