talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Top 5 Players Of The Club You Support

football forum

On 20/10/2017 at 6:22 PM, IgnisExcubitor said:

Will choose the latter option which Balon mentioned. So the players in my list are from the time I started supporting Lfc. Therefore there will be no mention of Dalglish (No one comes close to him), Barnes(magic),  Rush,  Hughes(who I absolutely love after reading about him),  Callaghan,  Clemence,  Liddell, etc. 

I am even excluding the God,  because I didn't see the best of him in Red. 

Owen,  the player who was responsible for me becoming a Lfc fan,  also misses because I can't forgive him for joining Man Utd. 

So here goes, in no particular order. 

1) Xabi Alonso

My all time favourite footballer.  It was joy watching him,  even after he left.  If he had stayed back then things would have been different,  but it's a shame he burned his bridges with Rafa. 

2) Steven Gerrard

There were so many times when he has single handedly saved our arse. Just too many  matches.  There was nobody as inspiring as him.

3) Fernando Torres

Suarez was a better player than Torres,  but the Spaniard was so graceful. He glided on the turf. And unlike Suarez he wasn't a cunt. He could tear down defences,  but in his own way.

4) Pepe Reina

The club has a history of great keepers,  and he can be counted as one of them. Didn't achieve anywhere near the same number of trophies as Clemence or Grobbelaar but Pepe was brilliant for us. You don't win three consecutive Golden gloves without being good. 

5) Jamie Carragher

Just like how DMs do all the dirty work for the team,  well he did that with captaincy.  While Steven wore the armband, Carra did the dirty work of hounding his team mates & keeping  them on their toes,  leaving  Steven to inspire them with his feet.  And Carra was a really good defender to add to that. His partnership with Hyypia was one of the best. 

Near misses to my list Suarez(almost won us the league,  but also dragged the club's name through some shit), Hyypia (legend in his own way), Mascherano(we never replaced him,  like Xabi). 

I agree with this, My top 5 too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/10/2017 at 10:13 PM, Kitchen Sales said:

I'm going to stick to post war as I'd have to blow the dust off the cover of the old books to remember who was good in 1927 :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

1. Alan Shearer - words cannot describe what it was like to be an impressionable youngster and be able to have an idol on that level as close to home as that. We all have strong bonds with great players at our clubs, but Shearer is one of those rare moments in the game where a community has someone as close to the ideal of a God as it is possible to get. I feel sad for the kids of this generation who have grown up with little more than a decimated Newcastle United. Many of whom are adults now and in their lives all of those who reached idol status such as Demba Ba and Yohan Cabaye shit on them and forced them to search for new one's every 2 years.

2. Jackie Milburn - the local lad in my grandfathers day who scored goals for fun and lifted three FA Cups. The 50's were Newcastle's last glory years and everyone of that generation talked about Wor Jackie for decades to come.

3. Kevin Keegan - Although he only played for Newcastle for 2 seasons he gave the fans of that era a boost amidst what would largely be nearly 20 years of pointless crap. We were in the old 2nd division and Keegan had just won PFA player of the year at Southampton in the first division when he decided to step down and join the club of his father. Pretty big thing to do, image if after Robin van Persie won PFA player of the year with Arsenal but rather than join Man Utd he went to Wolverhampton Wanderers. I believe this set off the precedent of trophy signings and trophy players at Newcastle. Even today the love for Rafa Benitez without him having done anything major is a byproduct of this culture. I doubt many if any other clubs would treat someone as a hero on this level simply for just choosing to be with us.

That's it.

There aren't five because the status of those 3 is so high in our history that the next level becomes a group of a dozen names.

No place for V-bomber or Craig Moore? Who are ya?!

Archived