talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Goals You'll Never Forget

football forum

• Subscriber

Post a .gif or video of a goal you can still remember years after they went in.

I remember watching this one on a school night fairly late in the 2004-5 season on Sky, making me 12 years old. Everton spent all season trying to cling on to a top four finish after a great start to the season. Liverpool were the ones in pursuit but we were eventually successful. Big Dunc was in the twilight of his career and I was too young to have seen most of his best moments but David Moyes started him in this fixture and he was all over United throughout the evening, heading home the game's only goal to send the crowd into raptures on one of those special Goodison nights we see so rarely these days. Moyes' reputation is in the gutter and his "knife to a gunfight" attitude in big games is not fondly remembered by Evertonians but what he was good at was creating a siege mentality around the club which helped create the bear pit atmosphere on nights like this in a way we've very rarely seen under Martinez or Koeman. I remember 1-0 wins against United (Fellaini) and City (Gibson) with a similar atmosphere under the lights.

Let's have em...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Might have to spread the ones I'll never forget over a few days, there's so many!

First that stands out and was the first 'best goal' I remember seeing live. Lilian Nalis vs Leeds in 2003. A high point in a very low season.

If there's only one moment per person, this is mine. 

Australia vs Japan at WC 2006 in Kaiserslautern. Opening group game. We'd never scored at a world cup before this game. The two w.c qualifying campaigns in 98 and 2002 (with great squads - bosnich, kewell, viduka, slater, schwarzer, etc) ended in heartbreak falling at the final playoff hurdle. We were shattered. Overall we had no belief as a footballing nation.

We scraped into 2006 winning the playoff vs Uruguay on penalties. Not pretty but we were there! As the hype built up, some neutrals said we had a great squad that could go into the second half of the tournament. We were optimistic but didn't want to get ahead of ourselves in our first cup in more than 30 years. In 74 we didn't even score a goal. This time we had Brazil, Croatia, Japan, Australia in the group. A tough draw but we saw ourselves as capable underdogs. Early in the game Japan scored. 1-0. Optimism faltered, and gradually anxiety set in. We were playing well,  and looking the more likely side but not creating many clear cut chances. The minutes passed and time was running out.

In the 85th minute Tim Cahill popped up and bundled home a scrappy goal. 1-1. Our first ever world cup goal, (and point). A draw salvaged at the death! Huge relief. We weren't going to be a laughing stock after all.

Then 4 minutes later in the 89th minute Timmy popped up again,  slotting in a class goal from outside the area to go 2-1 up. That's when everyone everywhere in our country completely lost their shit. That's when we learned to believe. 

Great commentary too so worth a watch if you haven't seen it. 

I don't think I've cried tears of joy quite like that ever since. I was a mess. 

• Administrator

For me, these 3 moments re-enforced the idea that we might go on to win the league. Big moments. 

Tottenham 0-1 Leicester - Robert Huth, Jan 2016

Man City 0-2 Leicester - Riyad Mahrez, Feb 2016 - in a week where we played Arsenal, Man City & Liverpool, this whole game was momentous. 

This was just absurd. Leicester 2-0 Liverpool - Jamie Vardy, Feb 2016

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

If there's only one moment per person, this is mine. 

Australia vs Japan at WC 2006 in Kaiserslautern. Opening group game. We'd never scored at a world cup before this game. The two w.c qualifying campaigns in 98 and 2002 (with great squads - bosnich, kewell, viduka, slater, schwarzer, etc) ended in heartbreak falling at the final playoff hurdle. We were shattered. Overall we had no belief as a footballing nation.

We scraped into 2006 winning the playoff vs Uruguay on penalties. Not pretty but we were there! As the hype built up, some neutrals said we had a great squad that could go into the second half of the tournament. We were optimistic but didn't want to get ahead of ourselves in our first cup in more than 30 years. In 74 we didn't even score a goal. This time we had Brazil, Croatia, Japan, Australia in the group. A tough draw but we saw ourselves as capable underdogs. Early in the game Japan scored. 1-0. Optimism faltered, and gradually anxiety set in. We were playing well,  and looking the more likely side but not creating many clear cut chances. The minutes passed and time was running out.

In the 85th minute Tim Cahill popped up and bundled home a scrappy goal. 1-1. Our first ever world cup goal, (and point). A draw salvaged at the death! Huge relief. We weren't going to be a laughing stock after all.

Then 4 minutes later in the 89th minute Timmy popped up again,  slotting in a class goal from outside the area to go 2-1 up. That's when everyone everywhere in our country completely lost their shit. That's when we learned to believe. 

Great commentary too so worth a watch if you haven't seen it. 

I don't think I've cried tears of joy quite like that ever since. I was a mess. 

Cahills volley in 2014 was amazing also against Holland.

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Bergkamp's goal against Newcastle United

Understanding the ball, almost seeming to talk to it and it responding back in a communicative manner both comprehended.  The greatest goal ever scored in the Premier League era.

Its amazing that people question this, that he didn't mean it,  when you hear his old team mates including guys like Henry, Kluivert, Wright etc  they all say he did stuff like this in training all the time, Bergkamp was one the most technically gifted footballers of all time. 

That Duncan is one of the better ones. That was a great night. 

Another good one under Moyes. Brilliant atmosphere and the goal celebration was great. Thought we'd won the tie after this but Seb Frey decided to continue having a stormer of a game. Probably one of the best opposition performances I've seen at Goodison.

I am going to be greedy and have two.

One is a popular goal because of the quality of it. But I remember exactly where I was when we scored it.

I was on holiday in Majorca with the family, and we had gone out for evening dinner. I was 11 at the time and had my Leeds away shirt on. My Dad knew Leeds were playing Liverpool on Sky so sat me down in the pub to watch after dinner.

Because they are an hour ahead in Spain, the game kicked off later over there and I remember my mum going back to the apartment with the others as she was tired so it was just the old man and me out.

About 5mins after the second half started, Yeboah smashed in one of the best goals you'll ever see. To this day, I love the sound the ball makes as it pings off the crossbar and in. I think everything about it still gives me goosebumps now.

The second is actually the first ever goal I saw on TV live. My mum had taken me swimming on a Wednesday night with her friend and her kiddy. We got home and my Dad was watching the European Cup Final between Barcelona and Sampdoria on BBC.

At that age, although Football interests you, you find it hard to stay completely focussed on the game where you are a kid, but I wanted to stay up late than go to bed so kind of pretended that I was really into watching the game with my Dad. My parents relented and let me stay up.

I don't really remember anything about the game at all other than Barcelona playing in Orange, it went to extra time, and the goal, but what a great goal by Koeman to win it at Wembley for Barca.

40 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Last minute of the World Cup,  Quarter Final in 1998  -  magical and Kippenvel Moment! 

DENNIS BERGKAMP! DENNIS BERGKAMP! DENNIS BERGKAMP! DENNIS BERGKAMP! DENNIS BERGKAMP! 

Classic. xD

Archived