The better place to talk football.

Stan - Sydney > Crewe > Ipswich > Leicester > Lyon

football forum

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

1/2 (for now) isn't too bad. Don't worry as the mobile version is out tomorrow so everyone can have a laugh at my many sackings.

i'm sure you won't be as bad as @Danny

• Administrator

I think this is possibly one of my greatest ever Football Manager achievements. I'm actually so chuffed :D. Champions with four games to spare. On one of the lowest budgets (my transfer budget never exceeded £50k throughout the season). Wage budget is tiny so had to utilise loan signings as you all know (Burkart the main one).

win1.PNG

I'll start off with the league table in all its glory!

table1.PNG
table2.PNG

How it happened...

r1.PNG
r2.PNG
r3.PNG
Personally, my favourite win was on 2nd November beating Wimbledon 3-0 away. Went down to 10-men as well. They were 1st and I was 2nd. Beating them sent me to the top. After the 4th game-week, I was never outside the top 3. Since 7th January, never been outside the top 2.

What is just off the bottom is the win that sealed the inevitable - a 7-2 thumping of Plymouth away from home after going 2-0 down and being 2-1 down at half-time!

And my star player - Nishan Burkart. Will definitely be going in for him again in summer and throughout the season he's expressed his gratitude for the support the Crewe fans, and players as well as myself, have given to him.

goal.PNG

On top of those 36 goals are 16 assists. Still 4 games to play and he's now Crewe's record holder for number of goals in a season.

The Records Keep on Tumbling...

gls.PNG

pts.PNG

wins.PNG

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Nicely done mate, surviving in the Championship is a massive ask but I'm sure you'll manage it. Imagine Crewe in the top flight xD.

cheers.

I want to give it a good go in the Championship but have to think twice about job offers now - I think during this League One season I got asked to speak to the boards of Bristol City, Colchester, Plymouth, Wimbledon and Bradford. Denied them all of course. Now the stock goes up, I'll see if any bigger teams come calling....

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Didn't see that coming at all. Congrats Stan. What's Burkarts value like now?!

nb1.PNG

the stats are ridiculous xD 

52 goals/assists in 37 league appearances.

• Administrator

struggling as expected this season in the Championship. 

Not sure if I've taken Crewe as far as possible or if it was too early for them to play in such a league. 

ch.PNG

cht.PNG

Holding the dressing room, just about (4 players at the bottom are all in the U23 squad)

cad.PNG

• Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

They hired Gary Neville from Sky Sports, I wouldn't be surprised. 

also got an interview from Inter xD 

Valencia:
Transfer budget - £5.5m
Wage budget - £1.2m

Inter:
Transfer udget - £32.5m
Wage budget - £2.6m

Think I know which one I'll opt for!

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Inter, one of the best saves I've ever had. 

TIme to emulate you, brother. 

EDIT: Didn't get the job. Back to focus on helping Crewe survive xD  

• Administrator

Sad day for Crewe as relegation is confirmed from the Championship. Turned out to be a step too far and a challenge too big to keep them in the league. Ended up being way out of their depth in this league with big clubs like West Ham, Leeds and Aston Villa amongst others to fight against. Very difficult challenge with a transfer budget that peaked at about £100,000 and a wage budget at £70k/w. 

Had no problem scoring as the table shows. Absolutey horrid defensively though!

Man Utd youngsters Nishan Burkart and Jon Williams led the way in the scoring charts, with 20 and 17 goals respectively. These 2 also had the highest assists; Burkart with 7 and Williams just ahead on 9.

A late flurry of form coincided with a change in tactic to 4-2-3-1. But it was a tale of too little, too late as we were relegated with 2 games to spare. Preston were my relegation partners for majority of the season - look at their form! Can they survive? Alternatively, Luton have got sucked in with a drastically terrible run of form - 5 defeats in a row. 

ft.PNG

goals.PNG

On the flip side, I showed interest in the Southampton job (9th in the Premier League). Philip Cocu's security listed as 'very insecure' so declared an interest and turns out I'm a strong candidate for it. Will see how that goes. Watch this space...

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Think it's best you move on from Crewe, there's no shame in being relegated but I think you're going to yo-yo between the Championship and League One for the forseeable future. I'd jump ship (Southampton looks perfect) at the nearest opportunity.

Out of interest, when does your contract run out?

yeah I did feel earlier in the season that it was looking ominous I may not be able to keep them up!

Southampton would be great if I get that gig.

After winning League One, I got my contract renewed to 2023. But when I declared my interest in the job, the board said the compensation was very low and Southampton would have no problem paying it if necessary. 

• The title was changed to Stan - Sydney > Crewe > Ipswich
  • Administrator

So I have got my move in to the Championship...

I am now managing Ipswich as the super-observant of you may have gathered from the thread title xD 

Been given objective to finish top half, reach 4th round of FA Cup and 3rd round of League Cup. 

Their squad is so shit though. Have had to go in to the transfer market sharpish as I only joined a week before the season started.  

• Administrator
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

You'll enjoy Ipswich, Stan. I had a great time watching their academy players grow. A club with great potential.

promising to hear, cheers. They seem to have good foundations. in 2021 and they still have some decent youngsters good enough for the first team. Need some more experience. Had Liam Bridcutt and Ryan Mason getting injured on their debuts!

Coaching staff needed an overhaul, too. Standard was totally shocking.

On 20/11/2017 at 5:53 PM, Stan said:

promising to hear, cheers. They seem to have good foundations. in 2021 and they still have some decent youngsters good enough for the first team. Need some more experience. Had Liam Bridcutt and Ryan Mason getting injured on their debuts!

Coaching staff needed an overhaul, too. Standard was totally shocking.

Who have they still got at the club?

• Administrator
9 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Who have they still got at the club?

The players that were already there before I took over:

Jordan Smith - Goalkeeper who had played for Forest and Wigan
Tommy Smith - experienced centre-back in his prime years
idris El-Mizouni - young centre-back who has come from their academy. Not too bad for this level. Could improve.
Zeki Fryers - Left back but need to sell him on. Made too many mistakes and not good enough for Championship or higher.
Adam Webster - probably my best centre-back. 
Liam Bridcutt - aggressive and experienced defensive midfielder. I actually had him at Crewe; he got 3 reds in a season. Sold him to Ipswich in the summer for a couple of million!
Marco Fossati - one of my better defensive midfielders. Signed from Verona on a free
Diego - sadly, not the Diego who used to play at Werder Bremen, but a average attacking midfielder. 24 and only backup. Will probably ship him in the summer.
Antonio Vutov - Attacking midfielder who can play on the left, central or right. He's not that great to be honest and will try and sell him in summer as well.
Callum McManaman - ex-Wigan attacking midfielder. best years are past him though
Johnny Russell - see Callum McManaman
Modou Barrow - one of the most wasteful players I've ever had in this game. Quick and pacy but end product is poor.

They didn't have much money at all so had to dip in to the loan market. I overdid it a bit and got more than the 5/6 usually allowed in a matchday squad but the amount I have is good for rotation purposes. These are the loans and players I have managed to bring in solely through selling Grant Ward for nearly £6m

Mirko Gallo - centre-back from Palermo on loan
Reece James - desperately needed some better options for left-back and he's not too bad for this league.
Stefano Sabelli - Like Reece James but for the right hand side of defence. Also got a guy called Lamine Gassama simply for backup on loan
Matty James - one of my better signings for midfield.
Ryan Mason - since coming back from injury, he and Fossati are my best options for defensive midfield. 
Callum Gribbin - I implore any one who is in the Championship or League One to try and get him in on loan from Utd. Very good central attacking mid or play-maker
Dwight Gayle - their squad lacked up front so he and the guy below have sorted me out somewhat
Rafa Mujica - 23-year old from Barcelona. managed to get him for less than £500k on January and he's scored 5 in 6 games already. 

I came to realise that they had also been in League One for a season so their squad was quite devoid of any real quality. As a result, I think many of their youngsters got nabbed off them. It's like a rebuilding project at the moment starting off with survival in this league. I have trouble holding on to leads and it's preventing me from getting any momentum going. Mid-way through February and I'm currently 16th. Got a lot of work to do with this one!

• The title was changed to Stan - Sydney > Crewe > Ipswich > Leicester > Lyon

Archived