talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Away Fan Watch

football forum

football forum

A thread to either applaude or ridicule the away section from the last game you attended. Things to consider could be; 

• How many fans did they take? 
  • Did they raise the roof all game or act as a mobile library?
  • Did they keep up the chants for the full 90 minutes or did the songs stop as soon as the goals went in?
  • Standers or sitters?
  • Funny chants or the copy/paste songs?

I'll get the ball rolling with the last visitors to Goodison Park, Sunderland. 

How many fans did they take? 

The full allocation if I remember rightly which isn't too bad when you consider it's a three hour drive for the team rooted to the bottom of the table. It would be totally justified for most of them to stay at home but to their credit they turned up in their numbers. 

Did they raise the roof all game or act as a mobile library/Did they keep up the chants for the full 90 minutes?

They were loud(ish) for the first 20 minutes or so before going back into their shells. After Idrissa Gueye's goal in the 40th minute we didn't hear a peep which again was justified as another defeat was on the cards for them. I bumped into their convoy of coaches going home and they get extra points for not banging on the windows like bellends and sticking their fingers up. 

Standers or sitters?

Standers

Funny chants?

Nil. They sang about Liverpool being a shithole and asked if Goodison was a library. Both songs being dull and boring considering how often their sang at grounds around the UK. There wasn't anything original at all and as I've said earlier they were pretty silent after our first goal hit the net. 

Overall?

6/10. I give them credit for turning up in their numbers considering how bad they are but they will be forgotten as quickly as their teams performance was. A comfortable 2-0 victory for us and a miserable day for them. The Championship awaits...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Hull brought about 1,200 and were pretty crap but I didn't really expect anything else.

I'm seldom impressed by an away support these days. It's probably because of where I am in the ground but I don't really ever hear any.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

Hull brought about 1,200 and were pretty crap but I didn't really expect anything else.

I'm seldom impressed by an away support these days. It's probably because of where I am in the ground but I don't really ever hear any.

Thought Liverpool were pretty shit as well but fair play for selling out their allocation on a Monday night.

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

Same here, I'd say there's about only 2-3 worth noting in the Premier League each season at Stamford Bridge. It's really noticeable how it's changed for the worse over the last ten years as well.

The cups and Europe naturally bring better support I guess.

• Subscriber
On 3/5/2017 at 10:37 PM, carefreeluke said:

Same here, I'd say there's about only 2-3 worth noting in the Premier League each season at Stamford Bridge. It's really noticeable how it's changed for the worse over the last ten years as well.

The cups and Europe naturally bring better support I guess.

I think in general the culture's gone a bit downhill. Away crowds are definitely up but noise wise they certainly aren't. Even the likes of Liverpool and Man City don't come here and really impress me.

Man Utd are good. I actually rate Villa a lot higher than most do too.

I don't really rate our away support. Thought it was better in the Championship. Even last year, in the season of all seasons we often had pretty dour away ends. Our end at you on the final day was absolutely pitiful. Should've been a party atmosphere and no-one seemed remotely arsed about being there. It was quite depressing really.

Think the culture in this country has completely changed, and absolutely not for the better.

• Subscriber
On 3/6/2017 at 7:50 AM, Cannabis said:

European fans are the best. The last time we were in the Europa League Wolfsburg and Lille blew me away.

Strange really when you consider that both teams don't exactly play a million miles away from us, the mentality has changed for the worse in England I feel.

The foreign ones are definitely the best. I alluded to me being situated where I am in the ground (north east corner, away fans are in south east) as a reason I often don't hear away fans but we've only allocated teams 1,600 in the Champions League. Even despite that I thought all three here so far were as good for their numbers as anyone. Copenhagen in particular brought an excellent away end, very decent at home too.

• Subscriber

I still couldn't be arsed with a Pulis side. They have hit 40 points and taken their foot right off the gas again. It's a shame really because he's done a fantastic job this season but it's in danger of petering out to nothingness again.

Been to all of our home games this year other than Brighton and Bristol City. Birmingham were the only ones to impress me. Not in terms of numbers as many have sold out and many have been loud, but the small timeness has been rife. 

Had some woeful chants at SJP and a lot of cringeworthy moments. Birmingham brought the full allocation up, their end looked class as it wasn't decked out with mongs who looked like they had replica shirts painted on them. And they were loud despite getting humped 4-0. 

Closesly followed by Sheff Wed actually. Leeds are still to come and will be decent no doubt. 

Worst so far is probably Fulham - not knocking their numbers but 0-3 up and didn't hear a peep. Thought Villa were half decent until we scored and then literally didn't hear any noise second half and not exaggerating. 

• Subscriber

Birmingham are very good on their day. They were brilliant here a few years ago.

Sevilla were very good but we drowned them out. I was in quite early though for this one and I could hear them before the game. They were louder half hour before the game than most are during.

• 3 weeks later...

Sit just below the away fans so can usually hear them pretty loud and clear. Wigan are the worst I have ever heard. I couldn't see them and I have grown out of knocking numbers of the likes of Wigan, but I literally heard their roar after the goal and that was it. Shocking.

Wonder how many Burton bring on Weds.

• Subscriber

I didn't think they were that bad to be honest. Had a lot worse lately.

Expect Sunderland to bring a respectable end Tuesday. Bet they manage at least 2k despite the distance and the fact they're dog shite.

Burton bringing 1.200 up tomorrow, good following from them considering it is mid week.

Cardiff have given us 6,000 tickets for our match on 28th April. Friday night live on a sky, would've been great on a Saturday tea time. Still going down though - hopefully be one of them that gets talked about for years in a good way.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

Burton bringing 1.200 up tomorrow, good following from them considering it is mid week.

Cardiff have given us 6,000 tickets for our match on 28th April. Friday night live on a sky, would've been great on a Saturday tea time. Still going down though - hopefully be one of them that gets talked about for years in a good way.

That's a superb allocation. Fair play.

Sunderland brought about 1,500. Didn't hear lot from them really. Can understand it but thought they would be a little better.

• Subscriber

We've got a good reputation on the pitch, and off it at home to an extent, but away we are hideous. The range of songs is awful and the mentality is all wrong. Far more obsessed with having a dig at the opposition (which is OK in moderation) than supporting our own team.

Said it in the matchday thread but I think a few years ago I'd probably have gone to this game because our support, while not as good as the best, was still decent. I honestly don't get what's happened. We've entered the spotlight as a club and some of our fans are making us look like the biggest bunch of divs going.

Saying that I expect our end on Wednesday to be brilliant.

• Subscriber

I thought it was that at first and thought meh, predictable but you could hear it was the proper thing.

We've got a team and players to be proud of. Glorify them rather than getting under Everton's skin. Hardly like it was a hard home support to outsing.

Leeds had good numbers as expected, they were loud and sang none stop until we scored and then they were silent.

MOT is a proper head blag when it gets sang so much and then there was small time rubbish too which most clubs are guilty of. All in all probably the best to come to SJP this season.

Loads of trouble after the match apparently, to be expected considering the two clubs and after a full day on the drink and a lively encounter on the pitch.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived