talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday 4 (Group C) - Tuesday 31st October, 2017

I was one of the few to say it but Serie A is better than the PL these days. I think it's being proven more by year really.

I agree that Roma isn't a top side but that is due to the thought that they've completely stagnated since Rudy Garcia arrived. They had that massive jump up a level and never really improved from that. Napoli and Lazio have gotten a lot better in the last 3 years and Juventus I don't believe needs an introduction.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Blue said:

I was one of the few to say it but Serie A is better than the PL these days. I think it's being proven more by year really.

I agree that Roma isn't a top side but that is due to the thought that they've completely stagnated since Rudy Garcia arrived. They had that massive jump up a level and never really improved from that. Napoli and Lazio have gotten a lot better in the last 3 years and Juventus I don't believe needs an introduction.

There's so much to pick apart in that statement, I don't know where to begin.

22 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

There's so much to pick apart in that statement, I don't know where to begin.

Good for you. You can have your opinion.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Good for you. You can have your opinion.

To even compare the team in Garcia's first season to the team now is ludicrous. It doesn't seem like you've compared the actual teams, just looked at the table and decided they were second then and second now, they must be the same. Matteo Destro was their leading scorer back then!

It's been a team that has been evolving and more importantly has had some good coaching and continuous development of it's key players. Look at the transformation of Nainggolan and Dzeko in recent years. The tactical flexibility that they have shown as well.

As you have pointed out, Serie A has been making year on year improvements in recent years. Finishing in 2nd one year isn't the same as doing it the following season or the next. That's far too simplistic. Juventus have shown in Europe how much they have improved to compete with the Spanish sides.

I've seen Roma and they haven't improved at all since their first season. Last season they retained the consistency that Rudy had in his first year, but overall they have stagnated. I don't see how they have improved on the pitch. For me, only Napoli, Lazio and Juventus have hugely improved since 2013-14. Sure they had some dodgy spells but overall they are better teams now then they were then.

Im still going to give Inter time before making judgement. As for AC Milan, they have improved but still not worthy of being included in the discussion.

• Administrator

Rudi Garcia is not a great manager by any stretch of the imagination. I firmly believed he underachieved with Roma just as he is with Marseille. Roma under Di Francesco are far more fluid team and more adaptable. You couldn’t say that about Garcia; he’s dyed in the wool 4-3-3 regardless of the opposition. He doesn’t roll with the punches; he’s not a proactive manager. 

1 minute ago, Batard said:

Rudi Garcia is not a great manager by any stretch of the imagination. I firmly believed he underachieved with Roma just as he is with Marseille. Roma under Di Francesco are far more fluid team and more adaptable. You couldn’t say that about Garcia; he’s dyed in the wool 4-3-3 regardless of the opposition. He doesn’t roll with the punches; he’s not a proactive manager. 

He did underachieve with Roma, but not in his first season. He actually overachieved then. When Roma got battered 7-1 by Bayern, they didn't recover until Spalletti arrived. Since then, they've looked like a consistent team on the pitch and not just one that grinded enough results. Hence why I think they've stagnated. Roma are good but are no better than they were in Rudi's first season.

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

I've seen Roma and they haven't improved at all since their first season.

Having Dzeko alone makes them a completely different team from Garcia's first season. They had Gervinho playing regularly in that season! The league was much weaker in that season than it is now. 

Looking back at that team and figuring out who would actually get near the current team is difficult. Probably the only one who would is a younger Daniele De Rossi. Their defence, especially in the full back area is immensely better.

12 minutes ago, Batard said:

I believe Garcia can be a really good manager, if he leaves his ego aside. He had a great start to his Roma career but bought into his own hype and had an almost Zeman-like hatred of Juventus. He got dragged too much into the off the field stuff in press conference etc. and paid for it.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Having Dzeko alone makes them a completely different team from Garcia's first season. They had Gervinho playing regularly in that season! The league was much weaker in that season than it is now. 

Looking back at that team and figuring out who would actually get near the current team is difficult. Probably the only one who would is a younger Daniele De Rossi. Their defence, especially in the full back area is immensely better.

I believe Garcia can be a really good manager, if he leaves his ego aside. He had a great start to his Roma career but bought into his own hype and had an almost Zeman-like hatred of Juventus. He got dragged too much into the off the field stuff in press conference etc. and paid for it.

I really can’t see Garcia fulfilling the potential you see in him to be honest. Let’s be frank, my team is club that dines out on in its history not recent achievements. We’re a club with a shithouse board and an American owner, chasing his ‘European soccer dream’ for Champions League money. Garcia can’t get a consistent tune out of Payet, couldnt organize a defence and acts like he’s some top draw manager. I’d swap him for Di Francesco in a heartbeat; at least there’s a manager open to new ideas. 

16 minutes ago, Batard said:

I really can’t see Garcia fulfilling the potential you see in him to be honest. Let’s be frank, my team is club that dines out on in its history not recent achievements. We’re a club with a shithouse board and an American owner, chasing his ‘European soccer dream’ for Champions League money. Garcia can’t get a consistent tune out of Payet, couldnt organize a defence and acts like he’s some top draw manager. I’d swap him for Di Francesco in a heartbeat; at least there’s a manager open to new ideas. 

I definitely would rather have Di Francesco, I'm excited to see what he can do with Roma after his spell with Sassuolo. Last night was his first 'big' win at Roma and hopefully he can build off of it. His record with young players is also something that Roma and Italian football in general needs.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

I definitely would rather have Di Francesco, I'm excited to see what he can do with Roma after his spell with Sassuolo. Last night was his first 'big' win at Roma and hopefully he can build off of it. His record with young players is also something that Roma and Italian football in general needs.

He seems to have got the best out of players you wouldn’t expect either, old pros like Kolarov finding form again 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Batard said:

He seems to have got the best out of players you wouldn’t expect either, old pros like Kolarov finding form again 

he and Dzeko link up just like they did at Man City. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived