• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Measuring the 'size' of a club

football forum

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Real's fanbase is as big as United's.  Spike touched on the Angloshpere, but the Hispanosphere is as diverse too.  The difference between those two clubs right now is the marketing product both respective leagues provide where the Premier League is bigger.

I don't think it is, United are the biggest in Asia and when they played each other in North America Real Madrid had to alter an aerial photograph to make it look like the majority were wearing white instead of red.

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

I don't think it is, United are the biggest in Asia and when they played each other in North America Real Madrid had to alter an aerial photograph to make it look like the majority were wearing white instead of red.

Play the game in Mexico or any other Latin American country and take aerial pictures then.  The Premier League is a bigger product in the US without a doubt.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Play the game in Mexico or any other Latin American country and take aerial pictures then.  The Premier League is a bigger product in the US without a doubt.

I don't doubt that, I just don't believe Real Madrid are a bigger global entity than United when it comes to "fanbase". (Not that it actually makes a difference to actual supporters)

Just now, Danny said:

I don't doubt that, I just don't believe Real Madrid are a bigger global entity than United when it comes to "fanbase". (Not that it actually makes a difference to actual supporters)

Indeed...  What we're going into here are semantics and basically merchandise and branding because what happens outside your continent is exactly that.  But believe me...  You go to Spain and they'll believe one thing 100% and if they come here they'll probably be told something different.  I have no reason to defend that club, no reason at all, but for me personally United don't even come close and aren't even on the same stratosphere.  Real Madrid are on their own and then we have the elite which consists of 4 or 5 clubs at most.

I don't think it's worth trying to create a definition about what is or isn't a big club, rather it's more important to remember that football has existed for a long time, and the current situation of extreme financial disparity and the domination of a few leagues and clubs is only a very recent development. 

Archived