The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace - Football Manager 2018

football forum

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

My worst defeat on FM was when I was managing Shakhtar and got dicked 9-1 by Manchester City. It got so bad that I moved to "Contain" to stop it being 10.

I've never liked the thought of contain. That to me is just another word for 'invite trouble'.

I've always had a problem when I get to the Premier League of playing far too open football. I do get the odd slaughtering.

Summer 2019 Round Up....

This is going to be completed in a timeline fashion so you see what happened from my naked eye....

Confirmed Releases:

Bakary Sako (Wolves) - I felt a bit sorry for Bakary as he gave us good service whilst ultimately never being in the first eleven, but a move to a club where he's held in quite high regard at this stage of his career was probably more beneficial for him than staying with us anyway.

Jason Puncheon (Reading) - A bit of an emotional one this given he's regarded as a club legend, but he doesn't have the legs to keep going at this pace any more. I would consider having him back in a coaching capacity in a couple of seasons. He's ended up singing a years contract at Reading but I reckon he will struggle there.

Jordan Mutch (Blackburn Rovers) - He was on loan at Cardiff City last year who very nearly went up. He however was a backup player there. He's now joined a bottom half Championship club where he's bound to regularly play and is probably his level at present.

Jonny Williams (Newcastle United) - After spending two years on loan at Sunderland where he failed to become a key player I thought it was only fair to let Jonny go and play his trade in The Championship on a perminant basis. I must say I was quite surprised that Newcastle United have taken him on, but hopefully he will thrive off the atmosphere and expectation.

Sulley KaiKai (Cardiff City) - I sent him on loan to Millwall and MK Dons expecting him to develop and push for a squad place but it just didn't happen. I was quite impressed that Cardiff City took him on based on his previous loan spells. I just hope he makes the most of the opportunity.

Confirmed Sales (Mid June):

Christian Benteke (Guangzhou - £32,500,000) - Liverpool wanted Benteke back xD but they wanted to pay only fifthteen million for him. He was very unsettled that I wouldn't accept less than what I paid for him. I thought with inflation and the fact he hadn't got any worse this was fair. Then one random June afternoon a Chinese Club matched his asking price and he wanted to talk to them. So much for wanting to play in Europe, Christian. I was happy to just get my money back in all honesty, as in the second half of the season he was more trouble than he was worth.

Mamadou Sakho (Olympique Lyonnais - £26,500,000) - Manchester City wanted Sakho and started the bidding at eleven million. Once again, player was very unsettled, but I wanted back what I paid for him. I got Manchester City up to ninteen million. Then different Chinese club came in at his asking price. I accepted the offer and then the next day about another eight none English teams offered the same amount. I think he was holding for Manchester City as negotations took forever, but eventually he chose Lyon over the likes of Napoli, Milan and Shangong.

Whilst these were two key players we were losing and made my squad look very thin in terms of quality on paper, the bonus was that these deals were completed early, and I had plenty of time to spend the Townsend money and money from these transfers on identified targets over the summer.

Failed Targets (Mid June):

Donny van de Beek (Ajax) - I had been eyeing him up for years so this one hurt. We agreed a fee at £16,750,000 with Ajax and contract negotations went well. Then Manchester City offered the same amount and he chose to sign for them. I had visions of him being a long term replacement for Cabaye so I was annoyed not to get this sorted.

Scott Sinclair (Celtic) - I had Sinclair in mind as a replacement for Puncheon/Sako but Celtic wanted far too much money for him.

Tammy Abraham (Chelsea) - I wanted to sign Tammy Abraham as a replacement for Christian Benteke. Given his figure and abilities I saw him as a version I could develop and sell for a lot of money. Unfortunately Chelsea would not sell and wanted him out on loan. This resulted in him dropping down to The Championship with Burnley. If he tears the league a part i'll go back in for him next summer.

Successful Targets (July):

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea - £11,750,000) - @Cicero Ruben is finally a Palace player. I possibly could have got him for cheaper, but at the same time I would have paid up to fifthteen million for him so I can't complain. Now he's my own player I intend to nurture him more. I see him as an Advanced Playmaker long term. I expect him to go on and have his best season for us.

Demarai Gray (Leicester - £17,500,000) - @Dan @Stan This was unintentional yet brilliant at the same time. Demarai Gray had been Leicester City's best player last season. I don't think he was far off making team of the season. Under Rafa he had absolutely flourised. I was expecting an Arsenal or a Liverpool to take a punt on him around the twenty five million mark or higher. One random day a shitrag journo like The Mirror linked us with him. They highlighted that he was in the last year of his contract. I thought "Ok, what's the worst that can happen?" and made an enquiry. Leicester City requested £22,500,000. I couldn't believe my luck. We managed to negotiate down to £17,500,000 and contract talks opened. I didn't think he would be interested, or he would demand such astonishing wages there couldn't be a deal, but instead he wanted less than most of my backup players get paid a week. I couldn't believe what had happened. We had signed a game changer that can take us places at a price I never thought was possible. We have Gray on the left, Zaha on the right and Reuben Loftus-Cheek down the middle. This is better than I ever could have expected.

Joel Veltman (Ajax - £10,000,000) - @VanPaddy Following the sale of Sakho we were in need of another Center Back. Scott Dann is not getting any younger either so I wanted somebody that was young but already had the qualities of a leader. Stop forward Ajax Captain and Holland International Joel Veltman. After winning the double in Holland I expect him to settle in England rather well and to become a first team player for the forseeable future.

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic - £15,000,000) - I didn't really need a direct replacement for Benteke. We have Weghurst that is 198cm tall, and also Connor Wickham. What I decided I could do with was an experienced and composing tall Striker that was good in the air and more mobile. Up step Leigh Griffiths. He has multiple years of experience in The Champions League for Celtic. He is the lynch pin for Scotland. He can take penalties, corners and free kicks. He's good in the air, and most importantly, very mobile. Every box ticks as he enters his prime at an affordable price. A very good deal on paper. Dougie Freedman earned his money on this recomendation.

Adam Maher (PSV - Free) - An attacking midfielder that was out of contract. He had converted Derby County from flirting with relegation to a playoff spot in half a season, and then went on to become a key figure for Brentford who didn't finish far off of us last season. He's happy to spend a year here on low wages as a back up player. I'm happy to give him a chance.

Lewis Morgan (St Mirren - Free) - Dougie Freedman has been quite persistant for some time we go for him, and after losing two wide players on a free transfer I made the decision I could do with some more depth. On a two year deal at his age it is risk free. 

Failed Deadline Day Swoops:

Timothy Fosu-Mensah (Manchester United) - All summer I was waiting for Jose Mourinho to sell him but he wouldn't. I put in an enquiry on deadline day but was told he wasn't for sale. I'll try again in January.

Patrick Roberts (Manchester City) - All summer I was waiting for Luis Enrqique to sell him but he wouldn't. I put in an enquiry on deadline day but was told he wasn't for sale. I'll try again in January if Lewis Morgan and Jeffrey Schlupp struggle.

Loaned Out:

Freddie Woodman (Bolton) - I was trying to sell Danny Ward all summer but no club would match what we originally paid for him. For that reason I decided to loan out Freddie. He led Peterborough United to the League Two title last year. I imagine he will lead Bolton to the League One title this year. He's making all the right improvements to be a first team player in the future.

SQUAD REFRESHER:

GK: Wayne Hennesey, Danny Ward, Alfie Whiteman.

LB: Mitchell Djiks, Patrick Van Aanholt.

CB: James Tomkins, Joel Veltman, Jairo Riedewald, Scott Dann.

RB: Joel Ward, Derrick Luckassen.

CM: Yohan Cabaye, Luka Miliojevic, Ronaldo Vieira, James MacArthur

AM: Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Adam Maher.

RW: Wilfried Zaha.

LW: Demarai Gray, Jeffrey Schlupp, Lewis Morgan.

ST: Leigh Griffiths, Wout Weghurst, Connor Wickham, Kaziah Sterling.

2019/20 Season Review - Part One

81bc3cca5e40accf201fb8a67cc6b6b7.png

76d8f6c9e1af124996fdb21b311b62a0.png

Well that doesn't particularly do us justice really. We started out the gates well, and if we had beaten Norwich I would have fancied us to go on and make a top six push. Instead what happened was Wilfried Zaha got injured and we went on a pretty big collapse. We've turned the corner again since he once got fit with ten points in the last five games. 

What i'm happy is we seem to have a settled squad. Wayne Hennessey is first choice Goalkeeper, and there's a generation of success coming through with Freddie Woodman playing very well on loan again. In Defence we now have a settled back line of Joel Veltman (rb), Scott Dann (cb), James Tomkins (cb) and Jairo Riedewald (lb). The games we've let in high numbers have been the matches where that back line has been shuffled often due to injuries to Veltman or Dann. In the center we have Yohan Cabaye playing alongside either Luka Miliojevic or Ronaldo Vieira depending on the opposition. Whilst ahead of them we have the pace of Demarai Gray and Wilfried Zaha either side of the tank that is Reuben Loftus-Cheek and they have the target man of Wout Weghurst up front to aim for. We then have Leigh Griffiths, whose a modern day Ole Gunnar-Solkjsjaer, coming off the bench and making an impact with set pieces, his running and his finishing ability. 

The FA Cup has drawn us against Tottenham Hotspur. So I don't expect us to go anywhere in that competition.

In the January Transfer Window I am going to target a center back aged within his mid to late twenties with experience of playing at the highest level. I think that will help with the players confidence more than anything. The player I have in mind is Jeffrey Bruma. He's a regular for Holland, and he's not getting game time at Chelsea who signed him back for £28,000,000. I'd like to go as high as £15,000,000 for him.

On 28/01/2018 at 18:43, Stan said:

November looked pretty shit for you xD 

January hasn't been much better xD

January Transfer Activity:

Mitchell Dijks has joined Fulham for £6,500,000. Derrick Luckassen has joined Leicester City for £6,500,000. We're flushed with full backs and I think this is peak value.

Chelsea refused to sell Jeffrey Bruma.

Manchester United refused to sell Timothy Fosu-Mensah

Manchester City refused to sell Patrick Roberts

Deadline Day panic deals of Kenneth Omeuro (Watford 4.5mil) who has been ever present in fifth placed Watford's defence but they proceeded to sign a load of new players, and Kenedy (Chelsea loan) who will be a back up to Zaha on the right wing which is where he played in Brazil.

• 2 weeks later...

Season Review: 2019/20 (Part II)

89709e9f5731f29aa0ca6c6eb1051ab6.png

e7141b5bc43253fd0cee8dfb5d0ddd1b.png

c11660f6e4c7398a77c3b441e04cf9d5.png

This actually turned out to be one of my favourite seasons in the end as it turns out we have a pretty complete, settled squad.

After a ropey January everything seemed to click. Even the games we lost (other than the one where we got thrashed) the performances were pleasing and we seem to have improved in every aspect which i'm satisfied with.

I was initially quite disappointed with my deadline day activity as Kenneth Omeuro was hardly the experienced, quality I name I thought I could sign, but credit where it's due he has far exceeded expectations. As you can see by the number of clean sheets we've kept that this defence has improved as the season has gone on. I think that's a factor of continuity, quality, and Omeuro making me realise a problem that I didn't know I had - Scott Dann was too slow. Omeuro's pace, combined with the leadership and experience of Tomkins, with the quality of Jairo Riedewald and Joel Veltman either side made a great defence. Wayne Hennessey's life was made easy with that back four in front of him.

In midfield Ronaldo Vieria's continued his improvement. I ended up rotating himself Yohan Cabaye and Luka Miliojevic as Yohan has become more injury prone at his age, and Luka kept getting himself suspended.

What is most pleasing however is the three in front of them. Demarai Gray, Reuben Loftus-Cheek and Wilfried Zaha. Demarai Gray, also known as Demarai God to me now @Stan @Dan, scored twelve goals and had ninteen assists. That was the highest assists in the division. Wilfried Zaha had similar returns too.  There pace and skill complemented each other perfectly. Having Reuben Loftus-Cheek in the middle was a great compliment as he has the power, finishing ability, height and pace to keep up with them. Jeffrey Schlupp may not be as talented as them but he had the pace to provide an adequate backup. Whilst Kenedy as an impact sub was a stroke of genius because of his movement and technical ability. He created to many goalscoring opportunities by cutting inside and shooting from distance. Sadly i've been told i've got little to no hope of making his loan permanent as he will not get a work visa.

Having these adventures midfielders going forward was helped by having a target man like Wout Weghurst whose tall and bring players in to the game. His positional play is also very good so he was able to chip in. If it was looking like we needed more mobility, I had Leigh Griffiths as a substitute who has all the qualities you'd want for a forward in this type of team.

Looking Forward: Next Season

It's going to be an interesting summer ahead. Danny Ward, James McArthur, Adam Maher and Connor Wickham will be allowed to leave on free transfers. I'll be proposing to the board that we sign the following players and i'll see how Dougie Freedman gets on:

• Jeffrey Bruma (CB) - Chelsea
  • Timothy Fosu-Mensah (CM) - Manchester United 
  • Kenedy (ARM) - Chelsea OR Patrick Roberts (ARM) - Manchester City
  • Kasey Palmer (AMC) - Chelsea
  • Kasper Dohlberg (ST) - Tottenham Hotspur 

I'm expecting a more difficult season based on the premise that two weeks after the season had finished the board announced that the club will be developing Selhurst Park to a 40,000+ seated stadium which means playing next season at Stamford Bridge!! You'd be livid if you were a season ticket holder and the club left it that late for such an inconvenient announcement, wouldn't you? 

• Administrator

Demarai God xD 

Man Utd absolutely mullered you all. 36 points ahead of 8th :o

Fosu-Mensah (and Tuanzebe) become world-beaters if they match their progress to my save. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Demarai God xD 

Man Utd absolutely mullered you all. 36 points ahead of 8th :o

Fosu-Mensah (and Tuanzebe) become world-beaters if they match their progress to my save. 

They absolutely smashed it by being a brilliant team. They'll become a juggernaut for years to come because they have quality everywhere.

I've been monitoring both of them for years. They're both still in the Under 23's but there both valued around twenty four million and not allowed to go out on loan. So it may be a case of bideing time, and then if nothing by deadline day panic and look elsewhere.  

On 08/02/2018 at 20:07, Dan said:

Demarai God. Fucking hell, did you give him a brain transplant?

He's obviously still very quick but he's become more direct and he has a quick low powerful shot/cross on him. What tends to happen is him or Zaha will get the past the full back and whip in a quick low cross that beats everybody apart from the other winger on the other side who has a shot.

Him and Reuben Loftus-Cheek are in the England squad now too.

Summer 2020 Transfer Dealings

Released Players:

James McArthur (Fulham) - He's always been a good servant for us, but he's in his early thirties now and he's competing against Ronaldo Vieira, Luka Miliojevic and Yohan Cabaye. If we're to move forward as a club I can't keep players for sentimental purposes. He's joined recently relegated Fulham and looking at the average age of their squad he should be able to be an imposing figure with his experience.

Connor Wickham (Sheffield Wednesday) - He's rejoined a team he did well for on loan. They're a mid to low Championship club that will play him regularly which is what he needs. He never really let me down but we have better players in his position.

Danny Ward (Swansea) - He never really took any of the limited opportunities he had over the previous two and a half years. Dropping down a division and playing for a Welsh club who are one of the best sides in the league should be of real benefit for him too. They've just appointed Michael Appleton as manager who won the league with Fulham the season before last so I imagine he's joining one of the leagues best sides.

Adam Maher (Huddersfield) - Never really showed for us the form he had previously displayed at Derby County, but based on how good he was in The Championship i'm not surprised a recently promoted side have signed him.

Signed Players:

Patrick Roberts (Manchester City - Free Transfer) - I cannot believe Manchester City rejected fifthteen million for him by me twelve months before when they had no interest in developing him. He's happy to be a squad player on reasonable wages so given his ability and potential the whole transfer makes sense.

Deadline Day Panic Signings:

Gary Cahill (Chelsea - Free Transfer) - We initially went for Jeffrey Bruma who joined Lyon, we then went for Harry Maguire for joined Spurs, we then went for Nathan Ake who joined West Ham, we then went for Reece Oxford who joined Bournemouth, we then went for Steve Cook who joined Everton. Southampton wouldn't sell Wesley Hoedt or Rick Van Drongelen. Fed up, we've ended up with a short term solution in Gary Cahill. The logic behind this is he's experienced at playing at our temporary home of Stamford Bridge and should be an acceptable 'stop fill' gap for when Tomkins or Omeuro cannot play.

Josh Vela (Burnley - £7,000,000) - We spent all window trying to get Manchester United to sell Timothy Fosu-Mensah which they continually refused to do. We nearly signed Dendoncker at one point but Liverpool heard of our interest and gazumped us. Dougie Freedman was sent to find another midfielder and recomended Josh Vela. He was in The Championship Team Of The Year for third placed Burnley. He's deserving of an opportunity in The Premiership, i'm not entirely convinced though it should be with a side that finished eighth the previous year.

Zach Clough (Burnley - £14,000,000) - We spent all window waiting for Chelsea to allow Charly Musonda or Kasey Palmer to leave which they never did. Dougie Freedman was sent to find a replacement and he recomended Zach Clough. He was a Burnley reject, but at Reading he was voted Championship Player Of The Year and scored twenty goals playing just behind a target man. Once again, I think he's deserving of an opportunity in The Premiership, i'm not entirely convinced though it should be with a side that finished eighth the previous year.

Nicolai Jorgensen (Bournemouth - £12,000,000) - Kasper Dohlberg was the one we wanted with Justin Kluivert as a back up option. The only problem was that there clubs would not sell them. We then went for this target man from Bournemouth as a replacement for Conno Wickham. He's slightly more talented than Wout Weghurst and has similar qualities. So hopefully he should adapt quickly.

Failed Transfers:

Jairo Riedewald (Manchester City - £55,000,000) He was linked with City for that price. They offered £17,000,000 which I rejected. Jairo then quickly became unsettled and didn't believe in my long term plan to get in to Europe. Thankfully though Luis Enrique left Manchester City to manage Spain and there interest ended almost immediatly.

Joel Ward (Watford - £400,000) - He was desperate to go as Watford had qualified for Europe, but the offer was crap and Joel Veltman had damaged his spine, so he's been told to stay.

Season 2020/21 - Part One 

2d04e32e8922f8b9803273094caaa362.png

8e3f1b527de56e496a7c19002ef8858b.png

This is becoming one of my favourite saves for years as the squad is so settled and developing nicely. There's nothing I can really do wrong and Stamford Bridge seems to have been a fortress for us so far with the bigger pitch really suiting out quick attacking minded players. Freddy Woodman has done well as first choice Goalkeeper, the defence is settled even without Veltman whose out with a damaged spine, Luka and Vieira have developed a good understanding in the middle, and the attacking trio of Reuben Loftus-Cheek, Zaha and Gray is just as good as the season before. Wout Weghurst seems to have reacted well to competition to. All the new signings have been reliable when called upon.

Not really sure what to do in January as i'm worried about new signings upsetting the balance and harmony in the squad. I'm not really too worried about catching up with 'Boto and Southampton, but I imagine Spurs and United will overtake us. Top eight has to be target from here on in.

• 3 weeks later...

Season 2020/21 - Part Two

750896a7232d39b00152e714a664fc88.png

We had a wobble at the start of January due to a couple of key injuries. Brighton and Hove Albion knocked us out of the third round of the FA Cup too, which caused the board and the fans to have a melt down. Joshua King was signed from CSKA Moscow on deadline day just to give everybody a bit of a lift.

After that we picked up pretty well. We lost to Manchester United thank to a Romelu Lukaku goal in the 92nd minute, but other than that it was six wins in seven. Only letting in three goals during this period of victories too which was very pleasing. Patrick Van Aanholt, Wayne Hennessey and Patrick Roberts forced their way in to my side too with some very good performances as they took advantages of multiple injury problems within the side.

At this this point we were ONE point of fourth! I couldn't believe it.

5364ed353c6dc9dcb16a931733f3d224.png

One win in five then pretty much fucked any dream of Champions League football. The defeats against Liverpool and Manchester City really did emphasise how far off we actually were in terms of quality too. The Aston Villa defeat was really bizarre, Stamford Bridge had been somewhat of a fortress but this game we missed over 20 opportunities and they scored with their one chance of the game.

I didn't really hold much hope for the Arsenal game. By this point we were seventh, Tottenham were getting their act together in eighth and Middlesborough did not look like giving up in sixth. However a Ruben Loftus-Cheek strike and some resilliant defending saw us gain a precious and possibly a season defining win. I had no doubt we would win the following game after that, regardless of what form Leicester City were in. 

With four games left we looked on for the Europa League now. Tottenham had collpased and MIddlesbrough were on some miraculous Europa League run that was distracting them. Unfortunately we then went up against the best team in the league, and Gelson Martins absolutely destroyed us.

West Ham United were in one of the most interesting relegation battles in recent time so I didn't hold much confidence with that game. In what was an even match, they just ended up wanting it more. I thought we were going to fall short at this point, because Southampton (out of nowhere) had won their last four games and were now joint on points with us. Middlesbrough were a point ahead too. 

With two games left, 'Boro lost to Manchester United in the early Sunday kick off and we were up against Southampton. This ended up being one of the most pleasing results i've ever had on Football Manager. In our final game at Fortress Stamford Bridge we dominated from start to finish. With four key players all getting on the score sheet - Wilfried Zaha, Deamari God, Leigh Griffiths and 35 year old Yohan Cabaye.

With that we went in to the final game of the season firmly in the driving seat. Yet we so very nearly fucked it. Huddersfield, who had nothing to play for, really gave us problems. It took a late Wilfried Zaha goal to settle all nerves. Thankfully for us, West Ham beat Middlesbrough to complete their great escape, so with that we ended up qualifying for Europe.

0a88d655202bd88e5fc17044c832650a.png

So as you can see, a summer of headaches now begin as I now have to prepare for our first ever Europa League campaign next season!

We scored more goals that the eventual Champions which shows just how good the likes of Zaha, Gray, Loftus-Cheek, Roberts, Woghurst and Griffiths have consistently been. Our problem has been at the other end. We need to strengthen in that department any way as Scott Dann and Gary Cahill are retiring, and i've already decided on my summer targets. Ben Gibson has been a rock at 'Boro for years now, and Rob Holding has been earning a lot of plaudits at Leicester. 

Player Reviews (including Average Raiting):

Excellent: Wilfried Zaha (7.45), Demarai Gray (7.14), Reuben Loftus-Cheek (7.08), Luka Milivojevic (7.03), Leigh Griffiths (7.00), Jairo Riedewald (6.99).

Very Good: Wout Weghorst (6.98), Patrick Roberts (6.94), Yohan Cabaye (6.87), 

Good: Nicolai Jorgensen (6.85), Joel Ward (6.83), Kenneth Omeruo (6.82), James Tomkins (6.82), Ronaldo Vieria (6.81), Jeffrey Schlupp (6.80), Freddie Woodman (6.79), Patrick Van Aanholt (6.79), Joel Veltman (6.79), Zach Clough (6.67), Josh Vela (6.70).

Disappointing: Wayne Hennessey (6.67), Gary Cahill (6.67), Josh King (6.60), Scott Dann (6.50), Armindo Gomes (6.40).

• Subscriber

You're absolutely giggling if that happens, I reckon you could end up winning the league. You've already got a pretty good foundation.

You're also playing a similar style of game to me by the sounds of it. Very attacking, target man with three behind him doing the damage. I like.

Ended up with Harry Maguire from Spurs for 25 million @Stan @Dan and Kenny Tete from Athletico Madrid for 15 million @VanPaddy.

Luka has been trying to force a move to China all summer. None of the teams would offer what he's worth so he's staying. The downside is it's alienated the whole squad against me. I've left him out of the Europa League squad and replaced him with Veltman as vice captain, which has pissed everybody off. 

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

what year you in? Bargain if he's still at his peak. How much did he move to Spurs to?

In August 2021, which makes him 28. He went to Spurs for eighteen million the year before after three very good years at Leicester. He wasnt first choice at Spurs but they didn't really want to sell him because it was so late in the window, hence how they got more money our of him. 

• Subscriber

He's good but I wouldn't pay that for a 28 year old unless they were top class. If he's turned out top class then fair enough but for me it's a bit steep.

Archived