talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace - Football Manager 2018

football forum

16 hours ago, Dan said:

He's good but I wouldn't pay that for a 28 year old unless they were top class. If he's turned out top class then fair enough but for me it's a bit steep.

His level is 7th placed team. I agree its a bit steep but my hands were tied right at the end of the window. I must admit my biggest complaint about this game is how it hasn't coincided with inflation very well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crystal Palace 2021/22 - Europa League

Here's the first part of the 2021/22 season. Entering Europe in a group with three sides that regularly participated in this tournament and some tough away places to go to. I didn't really know what to expect.

a9340229bd5ce3b69064a41bb0f1f69a.png

CKSA 1 - 3 CPFC : Zach Clough, somebody who I was trying to get rid of for the entirety of the summer, was given an opportunity as a 'false 9' alongside Leigh Griffiths in a 4-2-2-2 formation and he made the most of his opportunity. Two goals that came about because of his superb movement but us 2-0 up after 35 minutes. Ricardo Zivkovic scored a second half goal before Leigh Griffiths consolidated the win by rounding off a well worked team goal on the 65th minute.

CPFC 2 - 2 Torino : Our first match in Europe at Selhurst was a tightly contested affair against Torino. Demarai Gray gave us the ultimate start with a goal after fifthteen seconds! Iago Falque then eaqualised on the 20th minute after our defence switched off. Zach Clough continued impressing in Europe as he put Palace back in the lead as we hit Torino on the counter, but Torino's pressure in the second half paid off with a headed goal from Adem Ljajic.

CPFC 3 - 0 Bursaspor : In one of the most complete performances of the season we convincingly put ourselves top of the group. An early goal from Ruben Loftus-Cheek set the tone before Wilfried Zaha and Wout Weghurst put themselves on the score sheet as Palace finished the game with something like 72% possession. 

Bursaspor 4 - 4 CPFC : This game was bizarre beyond belief in a difficult away trip. Bursaspor were 2-0 up after 15 minutes, Leigh Griffiths then pegged one back immediately with a pot shot from 20+ yards before Patrick Roberts scored a brilliant solo effort to make it 2-2 at half time. We then seem to rest on our laurels and were punished as Bursaspor scored two goals that could have easily been prevented by better marking and a better Wayne Hennessey. We didn't give up though. Demarai Gray came off the bench to score in the 85th minute before Leigh Griffiths scored in a 95th minute goal line scramble to complete what was an emphatic game of football.

CPFC 4 - 1 CKSA : Palace qualified with a game to spare with a dominating display against CSKA. Europa League hero Zach Clough scored two goals as Crystal Palace didn't get out of second gear. Dzyuba pulled a goal back late in to the second half before Crystal Palace took advantage of tired legs thanks to two goals from Leigh Griffiths.

Torino 4 - 2 CPFC : Despite being top of the group for five games, we impressively blew it in a game where Torino looked better equipped and prepared. Wilfried Zaha put Palace in front after four minutes before Iago Falque eaqualised on the 10th minute mark. Leigh Griffiths put Palace ahead with an individual piece of quality on the 35th minute, but Torino were ahead at half time thanks to goals from Roberto Ippoliti and Steffan Batista. An embarrassing error from Wayne Hennessey in the second half allowed Roberto Ippoliti to conceal the win and top place for Torino.

With that in mind this is how the table finished...

be8ff781f32e8dd6d57a7d0911d598e7.png

You can see why I was disappointed to blow top spot in that fashion. We were dominating against everybody on goal difference but head to head against Torino cost us because we didn't perform for one match.

This means we now have a more difficult task in the next round - Shaktar Donestk. They have a better team on paper that are more experienced so i'd be very impressed if we managed to get through.

Crystal Palace - Premier League 2021/22

c754439ff970ef3b2d1d10629db5c860.png

1b2141b3069ec4efbd561d47fa2ea49d.png

As you can see, with all the focus going in to Europe our league form has dipped significantly because of the tight fixture congestion.

Positives:

Attacking wise we're still very good and scoring freely. Leigh Griffiths has 12 goals already, Gray and Zaha are still effective on the wings, Patrick Roberts has continued to improve, and both Zach Clough and Nicolai Jorgenson have both behaved very professionally and done well given that they spent all summer transfer listed. Vieira and Reuben Loftus-Cheek both seem to have a good understanding in the middle too, whilst Josh Vela and Yohan Cabaye have deputised well. Harry Maguire has had a heavy influence in the team and is quick becoming a candidate for first team captain ( @Stan @Dan )

Negatives:

We have had to shift to a 4-2-2-2 formation for two key reasons. The first being that Luka Miliojevic has made his position at the club almost untenable with the way he's handled his desire to play in China. This combined with Yohan Cabaye approaching 36 meant I needed to think of new ways to 'shore up' in the center of midfield. So Reuben Loftus-Cheek would drop in to a deep lying playmarker role alongside Ronaldo Vieria as a Mezzala. The second reason being I had five strikers on our books because nobody would sign Jorgenson or Zach Clough over the summer. This has had an impact on our form.

As for individuals, Wayne Hennessey has been nothing short of a disgrace in goal. Kenny Tete has just been a steady eddie instead of a significant improvement. Jairo Riedewald is not playing up to the levels he was before. Joel Veltman's form has nosedived after replacing Luka as Vice Captain because all of the players complained about it. There's concerns that Joel Ward, Patrick Van Aanholt, James Tomkins and Joel Ward are not good enough for this level any more. Josh King has been really goalshy whilst Wout Weghurst is becoming too much of an influence and he's very quick to throw his toys out the pram.

ee9ae729e5dfffec2ebd608b55b3ad61.png

I'm bloody fortunate we beat Liverpool and Southampton because the board were getting pissed.

January is going to be an important month. If any Chinese offer what I paid for Luka + his loyalty bonus he will be off. My ideal replacement would be Dzagoev at CSKA Moscow who seems far too good for them and should appreciate another chance in Europe. There's a possiblity we could lose PVA and Cabaye overseas as there's contracts are expiring and are free to negotiate elsewhere. 

I feel bad on Freddy Woodman sitting on the bench collecting dust and he wants first team football, so i'm going to let him leave if somebody offers us a profit.

My big intention is to sign another Goalkeeper. Letting in two goals per game is completely unacceptable. 

IN:

Karl Johan-Johnson - Lyon £1,500,000 : My plans were pretty much scuppered when Wayne Hennessey got a nine month injury (he's considering retirement) and Alfie Whiteman got injured for three months. Freddie Woodman has had set backs previously so the decision was made to keep an unhappy Woodman and still sign another 'keeper. The Swedish 'keeper was backup at Lyon and frustrated. All other options did not represent good value for money so in came the Swede at a cheap price.

Alan Dzagoev - CSKA Moscow £7,000,000 : Pretty much a slightly older and more experienced version of Luka.

OUT:

Luka Miliojevic - Guangzhou £14,000,000 : After causing months of catastrophic disruption that has affected almost the entire club, our previous vice captain who was adored by the fans has finally got his wish and gone to China for mega money. The timing couldn't have been any worse as I was hopeing this season he'd lead our charge through Europe, but it is what it is. Thankfully this deal was wrapped up early so I could take my time on the Dzagoev negotiations.

EUROPA LEAGUE - KNOCKOUT STAGES 2021/22

17/02/2022 - Last 32

Crystal Palace 4 - 1 Shaktar Donestk

Crystal Palace went in to this fixture with woeful league form and real question marks over if the manager still deserved the job, but despite their lethargic league performances the players sure turn up when it comes to European nights. Early Palace pressure was rewarded with an own goal from Eduoard Sobol on the 22nd minute. After that the pace and movement of both Deamarai Gray and Wilfried Zaha became too much for Shaktar to handle, and Wilfried Zaha managed to get a second before half time. It was a similar story in the second half, as Wilfried Zaha made it 3-0 just before half time. Wellington Nem scored a consolation goal as he headed in from a corner but Leigh Griffiths made sure the win was certain by scoring a free kick from 22 yards just after the hour mark.

24/02/2022 - Last 32

Shaktar Donestk 2 - 1 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace played with fire in the return leg but eventually did enough to go through. Shaktar set their account early as Davy Klaassen (whose rejuvinated his career overseas as a striker @Cannabis) scored a well worked team goal within the first minute.  The ex-Evertonian then managed to break Crystal Palace's resolve again just after the hour mark. After this it was constant pressure from Shaktar, as they knew one goal would put them through, however after Joshua King fell to ground easy in the box on the 84th minute it was Leigh Griffiths who converted from the spot to send Crystal Palace through.

10/03/2022 - Last 16

Sporting Lisbon 1 - 1 Crystal Palace

It looked like it was going to be a long night for Crystal Palace in Lisbon as they barely managed to string two passes together in the first half hour. However resolute defending at the back from new club captain Harry Maguire (@Stan @Dan) and Joel Veltman managed to limit Lisbon chances. It took Lisbon 44 minutes to break the deadlock as Marlos Moreno managed to pounce on a rebound from six yards. The second half however was more of an even affair, and Palace managed to grow in to the game. They got an eaqualiser with twenty minutes left as Patrick Roberts strike from the edge of the area beat the 'keeper at his near post. Palace then had three very good chances late on to win the game. All the chances were squanded by Josh King, Zach Clough and Leigh Griffiths.

17/03/2022 - Last 16

Crystal Palace 4 - 1 Sporting Lisbon

Fortress Selhurst came to light in the second half in what was another unforgettable night of European Football. Lisbon took an early lead as Filip Djordevic managed to easily get in between Jairo Riedewald and Harry Maguire to put the ball past Johan-Johnson. The first half then remained an even affair with very little chances. However in the second half Crystal Palace became a completely seperate beast. Zach Clough continued to grow his reputation on the 57th minute as he managed to score from a one-on-one after being played through by Ronaldo Vieria (who is now an England international @Lucas). It wasn't long before Palace took the lead, Zach Clough this time playing Wilfried Zaha past the last man who then squared the ball across goal for Patrick Roberts to score from close range. Crystal Palace then dictated the play and created several chances, there pressure paid off again as a Patrick Roberts cross was volleyed in to the net by Leigh Griffiths from ten yards. The rout was completed with four minutes left. This time Vieria's ball out wide found Zaha whose low cross in to the box found Zach Clough unmarked who scored his second of the game from eight yards. The miracle lives on!

07/04/2022 - Quarter Finals

Liverpool 2 - 1 Crystal Palace 

The fixture Palace dreaded came next, as whilst they seem to beat anything Europe could throw at them, there league form had been nothing short of dismal. It was everybody's golden boy, Mo Salah, who killed this game off. Even in 2022 he's still playing for Liverpool and is unstoppable (@Dr. Gonzo @LFCMadLad @LFCMike @Mantis Toboggan M.D. @Mel81x @Harry) He scored two very good individual goals where he schooled multiple defenders in the process to create the opportunities. Mo Salah even drew Kenny Tete in to making two silly challenges which saw him get sent off for two bookable offences. Patrick Roberts however gave Palace hope with a late goal on the counter attack giving The Eagles hope for the second leg.

14/04/2022 - Quarter Finals

Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Liverpool

Crystal Palace knew a 1-0 win would be enough to send them through and they very nearly did it. Palace had most of the possession and seemed really up for the fight to keep their European dream alive, and they were rewarded with a goal just before half time, as Leigh Griffiths cut inside of Nathaniel Clyne and beat Rui Patrico at his near post. Crystal Palace then had opportunities to go two ahead in the second half, however chances were missed by Griffiths, King and Zaha. Liverpool however under Pep Guardiola :o (@Happy Blue) showed their class. With less than ten minutes to go they hit Palace on the counter attack and Hirving Lozano killed Crystal Palace dreams. After that goal Liverpool controlled the tempo, and Palace's European dream was over.

What happened next?

The day after Crystal Palace's exit from Europe a takeover was completed as a male with a sexy Spanish name of David Testo bought the club (@SirBalon) He immediatly has replaced everybody behind the scenes, and has sacked Dougie Freedman so maybe he knows what he's doing (@StefBWFC).

We do have our work cut out. We're only two points above the relegation zone and are in a real relegation sprint to the end alongisde Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth and Newcastle. 

Season Conclusion 2021/22

Form before Europa Exit:

20c88943d392039d9c51cabb84791b93.png

As I briefly touched upon, this had been a really dismal season. Every week was clouded with speculation about my future, preparation for a mid week game, and talk
over new ownership of the club. It was clouded with distractions and it affected everybody. To be two points above safety at the beginning of April a year after finishing sixth was bitterly disappointing.

After Europa Exit:

290bd4a724c3d25eee68dc7be8ceb73e.png

With the ownership of the club now concluded, my future reassured, and no European distraction, our form took a much needed improved turn. The match against Bournemouth was absolutely massive. They were 18th and we were 2 points ahead of them. After that victory we looked pretty assured for another season, and confidence flowed after that. I'd go as far as saying that if we lost that match we would have struggled to get another point and would have dropped down.

9d80fbb28bedf2cadbc8a3a3b71d6ed9.png

As the table shows i'm quite glad to get this season out the way to be honest. It's been a season full of uncertainity and annoying distractions.

This summer could be a big one. I don't know how rich the new owner is which could implement what activity we decide to do. There's a lot of under performers i'd like to shift on.

Player Rankings:

Karl Johan-Jonsson 7/10
Freddie Woodman 6/10
Alfie Whiteman 6/10
Wayne Hennessey 5/10

Jairo Riedewald 7.7/10
Patrick Van Aanholt 6.5/10

Harry Maguire 7.5/10
Kenneth Omeuro 6.8/10
Joel Veltman 6.5/10
James Tomkins 5/10

Kenny Tete 7/10
Joel Ward 6.5/10

Reuben Loftus-Cheek 8/10
Ronaldo Vieria 7.4/10
Alan Dzagoev 6.5/10
Yohan Cabaye 6.5/10

Deamarai Gray 6.8/10
Jeffrey Schlupp 6/10

Patrick Roberts 8/10
Wilfried Zaha 7.8/10

Leigh Griffiths 8/10
Zach Clough 7.8/10
Wout Weghurst 7/10
Nicolai Jorgenson 6.5/10

Summer Signings 2022

It turns out the new owners are happy to invest. A rather large budget was given to myself and I still managed to hit a net spend!

FYI England had a terrible World Cup and Gareth Southgate was sacked. They replaced him with Aidy Fucking Boothroyd. >:(

The transfers in & out have been ranked on team significance over the last couple of years.

OUT

Jairo Riedewald - Manchester United - £25,000,000.
He wanted to play in The Champions League. I did everything to try and keep him, as he's become a very good left back, but realistically he is ready for that top six move. Keeping him for another season would hinder him, plus at left back he plays in a position where he can be replaced by somebody adequate on a 'cheap' budget. This allows the rest of the money to be invested elsewhere.

Yohan Cabaye - LOSC - Free Transfer
His contract is up and at 36 years of age his legs have gone. He said before Christmas he wanted to return to France so I decided to do the noble thing and let him go at the end of the season. A true club legend that will be missed.

James Tomkins - AFC Bournemouth - Free Transfer
Another one whose legs have gone but at younger age. With his contract expiring, the development of Harry Maguire, the new owners signalling change, and Tomkins' high  wage. It seemed like all the factors were indiciating that now was the right time to let him try his trade elsewhere. With Bournemouth recently dropping a division I hope the challenge of promotion will motivate him.

Wout Weghurst - Huaxia Jingfu - £15,000,000
I was delighted with his form over the last four games as he meant his value almost trebled. Wout is a very good target man but the issue with him is he's very vocal. With that comes a problem because if he isn't playing, the team are out of form, or the team are not playing to strengths, he will mention it. You can get away with that when you're Paul Pogba, but not Wout Weghurst. I imagine he will be very happy being 'the big star' and getting paid a fortune in China.

Patrick Van Aanholt - Brentford - Free Transfer
Another one whose been a good servant and given 110%, but with the new ownership arriving it seemed like a good time to move on a squad player who commands a big wage. I imagine he will be a useful asset to Brentford given they have just recently been promoted.

Jeffrey Schlupp - Brentford - Free Transfer
Over the last two seasons his performances have gradually got worse. I couldn't really justify giving him another contract as his wages were pretty obscene for his  ability. A move elsewhere seems best for all parties.

Josh Vela - Burnley - £7,000,000
I've actually always liked him but he's always been nothing but a backup player here. We have ambitions to really move forwards now, and his previous club where he did very well were interested in signing him. I made a decision pretty early on that i'll let him go if we recieved what we paid for him, and Burnley were happy to oblige.

Freddie Woodman - Southampton - £4,000,000
I always had ambitions to see Freddie become our number one Goalkeeper but injuries have been the big problem. He's now got an opportunity to do that at a club at a  similar level full of young players a similar age to him, and I think a change of scenary would be good for him.

Joshua King - Newcastle - £7,500,000
Well this was an unexpected no brainer. He never really pushed on here but he was a big game player, and I think Newcastle scouts were mezmorised by his form in Europe and against big clubs to forget the rest. The money is broken up in a lot of installments but it's money I expect to recieve over the next two years.

Nicolai Jorgenson - Torino - £3,300,000
He never really pushed on to the same performance levels as the other struggles and has always been one that wanted first team football. Letting him leave under this new ownership seemed like a fair and correct thing to do. I imagine he will play pretty regularly and be a useful addition at Torino, too.

IN:

Anthony Martial - Manchester United - Free Transfer @Teso dos Bichos
This is it. The marquee signing. A World Cup Winner. A key focal figure within 'the process'. Martial had been unhappy with Mourinho's use of him and let his contract run down. I got in quickly, I didn't think he'd take me seriously but he has done. He's on a lot more money than anybody else, but I reckon it will work out. I just need to think of a way to get him Zaha & Gray all in sync. That could be mouth watering.

Jordan Pickford - Leicester City - £20,000,000 @Cannabis
After impressing at Everton and stabilizing them as a top half club, Jordan Pickford was signed by Manchester United. That however didn't work out and he ended up at Leicester City at the start of last season where he impressed greatly. I wanted to send a statement of intent and I have identified Jordan Pickford as the best Goalkeeper at the top six. For years we've been conceading too many, but i'm confident Jordan can put an end to this.

Phil Jones - Tottenham Hotspur - Free Transfer
Somebody who has struggled for game time over the last season, Phil Jones still has a lot of international experience & played with Harry Maguire for a year at Spurs. He should also be just about to enter his best years as a defender. With his experience, leadership and chemistry with Maguire he seems like the perfect addition to shore our defence.

Danny Drinkwater - Chelsea - £3,000,000 @Dan
He may have been nothing more than a squad / backup player in his four seasons at Chelsea, but through his career he has become a four time Premier League winner, a  two time Champions League winner, a two time Club World Cup winner, a two time Champions Cup winner, and an FA Cup winner. At 32 he seems like the perfect filler player to replace the experience of Yohan Cabaye in a midfield with the likes of Loftus-Cheek, Vieria and Dzagoev.

Aymar Mbala - Manchester United - Loan
The guy was Newcaslte's POTY last season at the age of 19. He plays left back so has been bought in as a temporary yearly long replacement for Riedewald until I  identify a more suitable long term streategy to replacing him.

Nishan Burkart - Manchester United - Free Transfer @Stan
I saw he was out of contract so had a further look based on Stan's comments from his diary. I then noticed he scored 15 league goals for Reading, and then a further fifthteen goals on loan at Espanyol. Moving to a side with our ambitions seemed like the next step, and he's happy being a backup striker. All in all a good addition. After agreeing to join us he went on a mad one in The World Cup, and was a regular player in a Switzerland squad that made the World Cup final.

Axel Tuanzebe - Manchester United - £12,250,000 @Blue
On Transfer Deadline Day I wanted to sign another defender to put pressure on the two starting center backs. Axel has has two good seasons playing regularly on loan at Stoke City who finished top half last season. He wanted to get out of Manchester United & everybody who has ever signed him in FM history has raved about him. Bringing him in made perfect sense.

David Brooks - West Bromwich Albion - Free Transfer 
Hasn't quite gone on to be the next Gareth Bale / Ryan Giggs like all Welsh people were expecting @Bluebird Hewitt Instead he's been a marquee Championship player that's struggled for consistency. He's been bought in on a high wage and knows he will have to take advantage of any opportunities that come his way to be a squad regular, similar to what Zach Clough has done.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Nishan Burkart - Manchester United - Free Transfer @Stan
I saw he was out of contract so had a further look based on Stan's comments from his diary. I then noticed he scored 15 league goals for Reading, and then a further fifthteen goals on loan at Espanyol. Moving to a side with our ambitions seemed like the next step, and he's happy being a backup striker. All in all a good addition. After agreeing to join us he went on a mad one in The World Cup, and was a regular player in a Switzerland squad that made the World Cup final.

Great to hear. Still young as well so no loss with it being on a free transfer too. Hope he works his way in to a regular starting spot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

f566cbf71782292663dff162be60e948.png

Well, when my laptop is working at a good speed I seem to be on the verge of cracking the top six. Granted, Liverpool and Tottenham have been woeful, but the team below is gelling really well.

Jordan Pickford

Kenny Tete - Phil Jones/Axel Tuanzebe - Harry Maguire - Mbala

Ronaldo Vieira - Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Wilfried Zaha/Patrick Robers - David Brooks - Demarari Gray/D'Angelo Enriquez

Anthony Martial/Nishan Burkart/Leigh Griffiths

23 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Crazy how my laptop can run about 20 leagues in depth on FM17 yet can't handle one on 18.

I think FM Touch on the tablet is the way to go from now on. It's much faster. It's problem is you cant tutor players, but given it's implemented the new Fm medical and scouting system I imagine that will not be far off.

The match engine has ruined it for me. I like all the other new features but the time it takes to play and skip to a game is absolute shit. 

13 hours ago, Cannabis said:

As someone who hasn't played FM Touch, how ''in-depth'' is it? I wouldn't mind getting it for a tablet but don't want to miss out on the features the full version has.

I've not played it to be honest, just read the reviews which have all been encouraging. 

On 29/07/2018 at 18:42, Cannabis said:

As someone who hasn't played FM Touch, how ''in-depth'' is it? I wouldn't mind getting it for a tablet but don't want to miss out on the features the full version has.

Admittedly I haven't played much of it, but I have FM Touch on the Switch (match made in heaven when you can flick back and forth between this and Mario Kart) and it's much closer to the PC version than the mobile version is. Obviously some concessions have to be made but it isn't too bad.

Have a look for clips or screenshots to see the difference.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Turns out our new owners weren't as rich as they first anticipated.

Managed to keep the squad together but no money on transfers. Had to result with bringing in Clyne (home grown quota for champions league) and Thomas Partey on free transfers. Jairo Riedewald has returned on loan from Manchester United.

We are well over the wage budget assigned to ourselves so I imagine if we can't make Europe again i'll have to look at cashing in on Martial, Pickford, Partey etc. while there value is high.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived