talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Championship Manager Thread

football forum

For those still playing the greatest game of all time :coffee:

I've just been sacked by an ungrateful Scunthorpe United after 9 and a half seasons and replaced by Joe FUCKING Kinnear. Up yours.

This was my record, but I won fuck all

97/98 - Division Three - 9th
98/99 - Division Three - 2nd
99/00 - Division Two - 1st
00/01 - Division One - 2nd
01/02 - Premiership -  2nd
02/03 - Premiership -  5th
03/04 - Premiership -  2nd
04/05 - Premiership -  9th
05/06 - Premiership -  2nd

Hoping for another Premier League job, turned down Leeds United who have been trapped in Division One for 5 years, very tempting, might regret that, also turned down Norwich City in Division Two.

No Prem jobs come up yet, been out of work for 2 or 3 months. It is April 2007. Hope Kenny Dalglish fucks off from Newcastle so I can swoop in there (they have Thierry Henry and Patrick Kluivert upfront).

For some other laughs Brian Little has guided Aston Villa to 5 Premier League titles in a row. Gazza is Crystal Palace manager and had previously managed Arsenal. Darren Anderton manages West Ham, Altrincham are in Division One, England won the 1998 and 2002 World Cup's under Glenn Hoddle, Blackpool are current FA Cup holders and Roy Hodgson has won the FA Cup with Birmingham

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was playing Premier Manager on playstation in 1998. It took a whole memory card to save your game (and we only had one) so I used to get up early in the morning and play it all day. It was the only way to get far in a career.

2 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Hey now you won the coveted Division 2 title.

:banana:

And I would have won the Champions League had they not sacked me :coffee: we were in the Quarter finals against Club Brugge, piss easy draw but Joe Kinnear fucked it up the tosser.

I will be gutted if he wins something with them, some great players I've bought, hopefully they get cleaned out by the big clubs poaching. 

• Administrator

I miss this game :(

I used to play CM 93/94 where you had to put match scores or codes in for the password to get in to the game xD 

I think playing CM 97/98 really began my love for the whole series and the versions that followed. 

10 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

I was playing Premier Manager on playstation in 1998. It took a whole memory card to save your game (and we only had one) so I used to get up early in the morning and play it all day. It was the only way to get far in a career.

You could get unofficial ones with more memory you know. ^_^

Bollocks I knew I should have taken the Leeds job. Only the Brentford (Division Two) and Luton Town (Division Two) managers retired at the end of the season. Reputation drops rapidly in this game if you aren't working/winning.

I'll have to wait for someone to be sacked in the 2007/08 season now.

• Administrator

I lost years of my life to this game. I even learned how to edit the database to create custom leagues. At which point a group of friends picked numbers at random to select the teams. Our European Superleague was deliberately setup that ANY club side could be picked at random. This is what led to Alex Ferguson resigning from Manchester United to manage the mighty Slough Town xD

1 minute ago, Batard said:

I lost years of my life to this game. I even learned how to edit the database to create custom leagues. At which point a group of friends picked numbers at random to select the teams. Our European Superleague was deliberately setup that ANY club side could be picked at random. This is what led to Alex Ferguson resigning from Manchester United to manage the mighty Slough Town xD

What do you mean "lost" ? :ph34r:

35 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

I loved that game at the time. Even if you could only sign transfer listed players. Offer four million for Scunthorpes second choice Goalkeeper and they'll laugh at you.

• Administrator
Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

What do you mean "lost" ? :ph34r:

Ha. My favorite way to play the vanilla game was to wait in game 10 seasons where every player was computer generated. I remember being appointed Barcelona manager after winning the league with Lazio. They had a Dutch defender called Michael Studtrucker with 20 for shooting and 20 for stamina. He was a beast. Scored 10 goals from defence for me. Although to be fair I had the movement line for him set right from defence to attack.

So I turned down about 10 division one jobs and several division two and three jobs waiting and waiting for a Prem position. Nothing came up for the entire 2007/08 season until Chelsea finally sacked their manager after the last game. They finished 17th and were 15th in the two seasons before that.

The bad news is that Scunthorpe just won the Premier League and UEFA Cup :( I will have my revenge. I will prove I am better than Joe Kinnear :(

"Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea, we're gonna win it like we did last year"

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

So I turned down about 10 division one jobs and several division two and three jobs waiting and waiting for a Prem position. Nothing came up for the entire 2007/08 season until Chelsea finally sacked their manager after the last game. They finished 17th and were 15th in the two seasons before that.

The bad news is that Scunthorpe just won the Premier League and UEFA Cup :( I will have my revenge. I will prove I am better than Joe Kinnear :(

"Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea, we're gonna win it like we did last year"

How you running the game, Dos Box?

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Yeah dos box and ampshell.

I’ve struggled to get that working on laptops, I considered trying to run the game via the command prompt instead. When I first played this game on my mates first PC, it took over an hour to load the database. On windows XP it loaded in light speed, I can’t even run it on my laptop now.

2 hours ago, Batard said:

I’ve struggled to get that working on laptops, I considered trying to run the game via the command prompt instead. When I first played this game on my mates first PC, it took over an hour to load the database. On windows XP it loaded in light speed, I can’t even run it on my laptop now.

I've had that problem before. Until I found a download that included ampshell with dosbox, no idea if that is what made it faster. It is still slow compared to what you can get with Windows XP, but it's playable if you do other things at the same time, you couldn't sit there just playing that as between games the results loading is slow. I have it open at the same time as other things I'm doing.

Finished 10th in first season with Chelsea, slowly turning them around after the three years of abject failure they had before me. I managed to make Sol Campbell retire when I took over just by putting him on the transfer list aged 33 :8_laughing: Unfortunately Nedved clung on for an extra year of wages whilst playing shite. We scored more goals and conceded more goals than any of the Chelsea teams in the previous 11 years, I might be a bit too Newcastle :D

2nd season now underway, I've only got 2 players I inherited in the starting line up. My goal is to qualify for the UEFA Cup, hopefully that will open the door to attracting better players. I got turned down by a Hull City player ffs (they've been in the Premier League for 4 years, but still, Chelsea should be a good enough prospect to switch to). Surprised how lowly their reputation has become.

9 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

It's important to feel what you are otherwise you are living a lie :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

@Bluewolf must feel like shit everyday.

I always thought you were only as young as the woman you feel but clearly in the current climate this is a highly inappropriate comment.. not keen on getting a flood of complaints raised against me for something I might have said 15 years ago.... so what I will say is I am still very young at heart.. :D

• The title was changed to Championship Manager Thread

Archived