talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

John Stones

From what I've watched of him he's been very impressive but also intelligent, reads play well and knows when to cut off the passage for a pass rather than just charge the defender.

Statistics are very important when it comes to analysing football matches, you just have to know how you're using them. The normal use of statistics is i.e. possession is of little use to anyone but Harvey's stats help paint a picture, I can guarantee that if you were to compare City's stats to last season you'd not only find that they have more of the ball, you'd probably find they're creating more expected goal shots, more passes into the opponents area and the creation of chances from overloading one side of the pitch to score on the other is higher. 

Though one thing I would agree with about the use of stats, you don't need them to see that the side this season is superior to the side they had last season.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have too remember he's still very young AND he's far more exposed in our all out attacking style, because of this approach we get hit with counter attacks when it breaks down and normally only have the 2 CB's in our half to deal with it as the full backs might as well be wingers, we have a lot of possession but when teams do get hold of the ball our CB's and keeper are under a lot of pressure, it's helped a lot that Ederson can make a save and is a sweeper keeper giving us another player to shut them long balls down

• Subscriber

He's in the perfect side. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if he ended up making a howler for England in the World Cup yet has a near flawless campaign with Man City. The difference in coaching.

14 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

I disagree with a chunk of that and think that the factually incorrect assumption that Man City's possession is the same as last season proves that statistics can have an important role in correcting errors in our own guesswork. 

Now that people have the correct information they can disagree with my initial opinion that increased possession is a helpful factor for Stones improving, including for his confidence, by using other arguments, as the first argument against it was that possession hasn't changed, which has been debunked, proving the value of statistics.

How is it the correct info? What were the standard of the teams they played at the start of last season compared who they have played this? BOOM

Your stats are sunk

All about a matter of form. Cahill also looks good when the entire team is functioning. 

I still rate Stones better than any other current English CB, but let's see if he, and the entire defence, remain this solidity when City's attack finally runs out of steam. 

5 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

How is it the correct info? What were the standard of the teams they played at the start of last season compared who they have played this? BOOM

Your stats are sunk

What has that got to do with the price of eggs in China?

On 02/11/2017 at 5:45 PM, carefreeluke said:

Quietly doing very well this season. 

Did people who watched him under us think he wouldn't turn out good?

He was incredible for the vast majority of his time here. Far too good for our side and perfect for Pep. 

When you go from being coached by Martinez to Guardiola there's going to be teething problems. 

Archived