talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Lord of the Rings - TV Series

football forum

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yes we do. It is based on one story from the Silmarillion and they aren’t new character at all. 

Ahhh, then I take back that part of my post then. I didn’t know it was the Silmarillion being adapted. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rick said:

Ahhh, then I take back that part of my post then. I didn’t know it was the Silmarillion being adapted. 

Looks like it is the stories of when the rings were made, given the title and casting. What is scary, for me is like what happened to Game of Thrones. Naturally I don’t think the scriptwriters will be as talented as Tolkien, so we’ll be getting a bunch of new material wrapped around the bones of a story from the man himself. I don’t mind changes, they don’t get me worked up, I just have a bad feeling it will have the ‘written in Hollywood’ feel instead of the true passion from Tolkien or a fan. 

The Hobbit was like a pad of butter spread out across fifty loaves of bread, and PJ is a fan but that reeked of studio meddling. Plus he has a stiffy for technology and now refuses to not use too much CGI 

• 5 months later...

I'll likely wait & use this as my festive TV viewing in December.

All the movies grew on me slowly. Definitely feels to me like LotR's was 1 legitimately giant movie, split into 3, to near enough do the book/s justice. The changes I spotted when reading the book all made sense. 1 off theme character early on left out. 1 character in a different spot. And a whole panto encore bit ditched as way off theme. While of course The Hobbit somehow felt a bit like a TV series.

Who knows what we will get here. And as others mentioned.. The Silmarillion, if that is the source, was apparently not an actual novel. And this time I'm hoping to read the book first.

I'm not expecting much from this. I read LOTR and Silmarillion between age of 12 and 13.

There are some great stories in the Silmarillion yet it is a history in the time span of Middle Earth much greater then LOTR.

Also noticed Naevia the slave turned gladiator that had one of the major support roles in the Spartacus TV series by Stars. I rather enjoyed that though must acknowledge when it says category 18 it means 18 in that case.

• 1 month later...

Several sources from The Insider are reporting that with this being the most expensive television series ever created, if it fails to hit its mark there will be an existential crises within Amazon Studios. 

No pressure then. 

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Several sources from The Insider are reporting that with this being the most expensive television series ever created, if it fails to hit its mark there will be an existential crises within Amazon Studios. 

No pressure then. 

It's a good thing they have those ZenBooths then. Maybe Jeff Bezos can spend a little time in one?

Finished both episodes and I agree it’s been fairly enjoyable. Visually spectacular. I was skeptical at first but the first two episodes completely swayed my view on it.

A few question marks over the casting on some characters, also feel some of the design on some characters are way off the mark. At times it feels out of place and makes me feel like I’m watching something else, but overall very solid first couple episodes. 

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Just watched the first one... Really enjoyed it! Not sure why the critics are being so harsh??? 

True Tolkien fans have mixed views but there are also fans who were determined to hate it from the beginning. 

On 02/09/2022 at 21:33, Bluewolf said:

Just watched the first one... Really enjoyed it! Not sure why the critics are being so harsh??? 

Are they?? 85% on rotten tomatoes which is good. And rotten tomatoes tends to be a general guide of how critics feel.

Makes me laugh how some people are complaining about the black actors. Probably the same people that call everyone else snowflakes then get offended by black actors xD

2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Are they?? 85% on rotten tomatoes which is good. And rotten tomatoes tends to be a general guide of how critics feel.

Makes me laugh how some people are complaining about the black actors. Probably the same people that call everyone else snowflakes then get offended by black actors xD

It was good to see Lenny Henry I must admit... In the first episode he was talking and I swear he had the accent that he used to use in his Mrs Johnson sketches back in the day... xD

Archived