talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Lord of the Rings - TV Series

football forum

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Are they?? 85% on rotten tomatoes which is good. And rotten tomatoes tends to be a general guide of how critics feel.

Makes me laugh how some people are complaining about the black actors. Probably the same people that call everyone else snowflakes then get offended by black actors xD

It's sort of a good thing. 6/10 is a positive review right? It's not great but it's pretty much better than average, if every review of a movie or TV show is 6/10 that means the fresh score is 100%.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's sort of a good thing. 6/10 is a positive review right? It's not great but it's pretty much better than average, if every review of a movie or TV show is 6/10 that means the fresh score is 100%.

Yeah I know but generally it seems that of something gets reviews like that on rotten tomatoes it tends to get good reviews elsewhere. But yeah it could mean most critics think it's good but not necessarily great. 

On 08/09/2022 at 21:35, Cicero said:

Some stuff just doesn't make any sense. How on earth was this small army of Elves going to take on Sauron, an immortal sorcerer, when half of them were killed by that Snow Troll? 

They weren't going to take on Sauron by themselves, they were there to provide proof that he still existed

I am a massive Tolkien fan and honestly, I am not expecting it to be strictly true to Tolkien's works. I never expected Jackson's films to be either. Yeah, I rolled my eyes when he misinterpreted Sauron as literally being a giant eye and unable to take shape but generally, those films were brilliant. I'm not one of those who are "oh, it didn't match exactly what the Professor wanted, therefore, it's garbage". That said, I thought the Hobbit was just cash-grabbing drivel and couldn't finish it.

This started slowly and after the first two, I was skeptical but my interest is peaked now. Obviously, I am expecting Sauron to be walking around in plain sight as the story occurs before he lost the ability to take fair shape. I'm even open to see where the Numenor story goes despite the obvious split from Tolkien's work (Galadriel was never held on Numenor or there at all, Galadriel is far more the Hollywood stereotype of kick-arse warrior than the character she was in the books, Tar-Miriel never agreed to help Galadriel fight Sauron the entirety of which is an invention of the series) as I know what's going to happen, I'm just not sure how they intend to get there.

I am giving this a fair crack of the whip because I think the critics have been determined to hate it from the start. There are flaws with it, some of the dialogue feels very clunky in places but they're setting up enough intrigue to keep us going and the visuals are stunning. 

2 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

I am a massive Tolkien fan and honestly, I am not expecting it to be strictly true to Tolkien's works. I never expected Jackson's films to be either. Yeah, I rolled my eyes when he misinterpreted Sauron as literally being a giant eye and unable to take shape but generally, those films were brilliant. I'm not one of those who are "oh, it didn't match exactly what the Professor wanted, therefore, it's garbage". That said, I thought the Hobbit was just cash-grabbing drivel and couldn't finish it.

This started slowly and after the first two, I was skeptical but my interest is peaked now. Obviously, I am expecting Sauron to be walking around in plain sight as the story occurs before he lost the ability to take fair shape. I'm even open to see where the Numenor story goes despite the obvious split from Tolkien's work (Galadriel was never held on Numenor or there at all, Galadriel is far more the Hollywood stereotype of kick-arse warrior than the character she was in the books, Tar-Miriel never agreed to help Galadriel fight Sauron the entirety of which is an invention of the series) as I know what's going to happen, I'm just not sure how they intend to get there.

I am giving this a fair crack of the whip because I think the critics have been determined to hate it from the start. There are flaws with it, some of the dialogue feels very clunky in places but they're setting up enough intrigue to keep us going and the visuals are stunning. 

I think I watched the first instalment of the Hobbit at the cinema and didn't bother with the rest until shown on mainstream tv. That said I did like some good things about the Hobbit notably the Thorin Oakenshield character and thought Martin Freedman was decent too. Additionally the Elven King seemed well cast yet as you suggest too much money driven with Legolas, the elf-dwarf romance and Gandalf taking on Sauron in the far North. 

12 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

I mean it’s never going to be entirely accurate. Isildur went to Middle Earth when he was in his 40s. He’s about 18-20 here.

Sauron was also captured and held captive in Numenor during the time. Unless Halbrand is him?

11 hours ago, Cicero said:

I mean it’s never going to be entirely accurate. Isildur went to Middle Earth when he was in his 40s. He’s about 18-20 here.

Sauron was also captured and held captive in Numenor during the time. Unless Halbrand is him?

This was a theory going around considering he refers to himself as the "lost king of the Southlands".

Obviously, if this is the case they would have to change it because Sauron intentionally "humbled" himself, flattered Numenor and came as a "prisoner" with them knowing full well they'd gotten Sauron, who knew he could corrupt them and their fear of mortality further. 

But yeah, I don't expect nor demand it to be entirely accurate. 

Obviously, the Stranger that the Harfoots have found is going to be big going forward. Some suggest that he is Sauron although I personally don't think so. Although I'm not demanding entire accuracy, I hope he's not one of the Istari because that would be a bit much considering they came thousands of years later.

Adar is far too obvious and they're probably going with Tolkien's original mythology about Orcs, that they were the earliest Elves who were tortured and corrupted. I suspect they're going to make Adar one of the earliest.

• Subscriber

Considering the writers have taken liberties with family lines and story elements I fully expect this to not following too much of the original works and stray into providing some kind of conflict that needs resolution before season 1 is over. Right now, we've got more internal conflicts going on than I really care for but it is interesting to watch how elves and dwarves interact even if they show more than they have to at times. 

26 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Enjoying it more than House of Dragon now. 

Far more in fact. 

House of Dragons was pants from the first episode, riding off of the GoT hype but just used very obvious plot mechanics like the jousting, the mum dying and lazy feminism effort to try and create excitement.

1 hour ago, Waylander said:

Found these on youtube battles on Middle Earth pre LOTR, quite a few this is just one example.

Looks like it is aimed at the computer game market to me.

It is... Those are part of the 'Total War' range of games... fantastic games if you like big battles etc.. I own Rome, Rome 2, Medieval, Medieval 2 , Shogun 2, Attila, and Warhammer from that range.. Depending on the specs of your PC/Laptop and certain Mods you can use the battles are huge and exactly as you see them in that video... 

This one is a mod.. 

8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

How so? I mean its not in the realm of impossibility of course. 

At first I thought he would be one of the kings/lords that becomes the witch king, but I think this direction the writers are taking is creating a character completely anew that gains the trust and influence of those around him. (which I think is great writing and an acceptable change to Tolkien's works). 

Also, back in Neumenor when he and Galadriel were imprisoned. He said something along the lines. 

"The way to control people is to create something that they fear, and offering a solution to their fear." 

Archived