talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Peaky Blinders

football forum

football forum

Without doubt the best TV series out there at the moment, I've just wrapped up the third series and it's in good timing considering the new one is out on the 15th November in the UK. Who else is a big fan of the Peaky Blinders gang?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Im kind of in a similar boat to FIB. Its a quality show, im a big Cillian Murphy fan and Tom Hardy was brilliant in it too. Some great twists and turns, i think the third season was a bit of a down swing. Im still interested to watch it again as it starts up but best out there ill kindly disagee. Its got nothing on the likes of West World, im more excited for season 2 of Taboo as well whenever that may be.

football forum
16 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

I'm almost through Season 1. Great show. To be honest, I only started watching it because I knew which actor will be part of Season 2 :ph34r:

Seb :ph34r:?

football forum
46 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Well, he is quite the versatile actor. 

title.jpg

He'll need a second career once Ferrari realise he's shit :ph34r:

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

I'm almost through Season 1. Great show. To be honest, I only started watching it because I knew which actor will be part of Season 2 :ph34r:

Man theres one scene between Cillian Murphy's character and Tom's in season 2 that was just so good. My favourite scene of the series by far and one of my favourites from anything. It was episode 6 of season 2, dont think it spoils anything in particular

Good show with some great actors, a British tv series managing to bring in the likes of Hardy and Murphy is probably unheard of. But I wouldn't say it's that great, I enjoyed the first season. I thought that was the best season, partially because it was new but also the storyline was just better, it was set in Birmingham around the working classes and as opposed to taking the working classes out of Birmingham which is what has happened in the latter series.

The love story between Tommy and Grace was great, I think the shows just tried too hard to get above it's station as the last season was pretty average for me. Needs to go back to it's roots of the inter-gang warfare instead of trying to one up the first plot surrounding the missing weapons.

One thing that irks me is the dialogue, mostly from Arthur and Polly. It's all "by order of the Peaky Blinders this" and Polly acting as a Godfather type character which doesn't work for me. I think at times they try too hard to make the characters like American gangster films/programmes and it all gets a bit cheesy and cringeworthy. Outside of that though I do enjoy watching it so I imagine I'll catch the fourth series whenever it's available in Oz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

i fucking love this show.

have been wanting to watch it for about a year probably and finally got round to doing it a couple of weeks ago. now up to date and i'm in love with this programme. 

So many powerful scenes and brilliant acting. as @Viva la FCB, that scene between Solomons and Murphy is sensational. I've now watched so much in a short time I'm gonna hate waiting a week for the next episode xD . I think Hardy's character, Solomons, is superb and maybe that comes out of the way Hardy plays it. Bit comical at times, bit like a dithering idiot in the way he comes across, but extremely powerful and dominating and uses that to his advantage. 

As many others have said, the first 2 seasons were the best. Dipped a bit in third season but not by that much. 

• Administrator
On 10/11/2017 at 5:30 AM, Danny said:

Good show with some great actors, a British tv series managing to bring in the likes of Hardy and Murphy is probably unheard of. But I wouldn't say it's that great, I enjoyed the first season. I thought that was the best season, partially because it was new but also the storyline was just better, it was set in Birmingham around the working classes and as opposed to taking the working classes out of Birmingham which is what has happened in the latter series.

The love story between Tommy and Grace was great, I think the shows just tried too hard to get above it's station as the last season was pretty average for me. Needs to go back to it's roots of the inter-gang warfare instead of trying to one up the first plot surrounding the missing weapons.

One thing that irks me is the dialogue, mostly from Arthur and Polly. It's all "by order of the Peaky Blinders this" and Polly acting as a Godfather type character which doesn't work for me. I think at times they try too hard to make the characters like American gangster films/programmes and it all gets a bit cheesy and cringeworthy. Outside of that though I do enjoy watching it so I imagine I'll catch the fourth series whenever it's available in Oz.

that dialogue fits in nicely. You have Arthur who is more gung-ho, get out there and fight 'by order of the Peaky Blinders'. It's a welcome contrast to the more calculated and diplomatic Tommy. Any kind of leadership always has some kind of sibling rivalry but the best thing about it is that they always come to a compromise. The one thing I don't like is the swing created by Linda. It's taken Arthur out of what he has been doing all his life. The silver lining being is that eventually it'll bring Arthur and Tommy closer after some time of separation. 

Polly is a matriarchal character and I don't see any problem with it. The fact that there's no parent for the Shelby's means Polly is perfect as a powerful 'parent figure'. By way that Tommy is like a senior to Arthur, Polly is like a senior to Tommy. A wiser head. And that garners respect from the rest of the clan. You gotta remember it's all very tribal and territorial.

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

that dialogue fits in nicely. You have Arthur who is more gung-ho, get out there and fight 'by order of the Peaky Blinders'. It's a welcome contrast to the more calculated and diplomatic Tommy. Any kind of leadership always has some kind of sibling rivalry but the best thing about it is that they always come to a compromise. The one thing I don't like is the swing created by Linda. It's taken Arthur out of what he has been doing all his life. The silver lining being is that eventually it'll bring Arthur and Tommy closer after some time of separation. 

Polly is a matriarchal character and I don't see any problem with it. The fact that there's no parent for the Shelby's means Polly is perfect as a powerful 'parent figure'. By way that Tommy is like a senior to Arthur, Polly is like a senior to Tommy. A wiser head. And that garners respect from the rest of the clan. You gotta remember it's all very tribal and territorial.

I understand what they're going for but it's just too theatrical and overly poetic to try and give it some razzmatazz. Arthur is more of a caricature of someone who thinks he's the dogs bollocks than anything.

The show tries to create characters that run deeper than what you first see, the Irish copper was a quality character and the closest I can think of to Arthur in the series, though he was obviously Tommy's rival. Arthur as a character is too skinny for the man he portrays, to compare it to a brotherly relationship in another film it's similar to Tom Hardy in Lawless (Tommy) and his older brother Howard (Arthur), however in Lawless Howard fits the character because he has the size to match what is portrayed by the character, his character also doesn't pull out the sentimental and theatrical stuff that Arthur does. Arthur needs to be more of a "ave it" type person but instead it's just cheesy. I'm assuming they're going for an ex-general type background with Arthur but it'd make a lot more sense if he was tougher/stronger than Tommy.

I just don't like Polly's character, I get the idea that they want a head of the family who isn't necessarily Tommy and a strong female lead to act as a mother figure almost to a clan of lads, but again for me she falls down the same traps Arthur's character does. Everything with how those two are portrayed just seems substance over style. The best characters by far have been Tommy, Grace and Chester Campbell. Tom Hardy's character was good but it's just a bit too Tom Hardy to get too excited about.

Once they lost the cat and mouse between Tommy, Grace and Chester Campbell they lost what made it so good originally. Series 3 was Arthur and Polly personified, all flash houses and cars and not a story-line good enough to keep you that interested. The second series actually gave Polly some importance with the return of her son and how she'd deal with that, I think they try too hard with her character.

I'll give series 4 a go and I hope they can recreate what they did in the first two series by taking it back to it's roots a bit rather than getting caught up in James Bond esque government conspiracies all the time to try and out do the initial stolen guns plot.

That post was a lot longer than I expected, tl;dr I guess it's just horses for courses as they've had a 5th series commissioned to go after the 4th.

• Administrator

I agree about the Tommy, Grace and Chester storyline. it was the best. 

I've not seen Lawless so can't really comment on the similarities. Ironically, I see Arthur's character as an 'ave it' character before he met Linda. As I said, he was very gung-ho and reckless and often acted before he though (like when he took all that money for his dad; it was blatantly obvious to everyone but him that his dad was gonna screw him over. Meeting Linda was some kind of salvation and just another twist on the family. Also becoming religious and having a kid was always going to have its effects. The symmetry being that Tommy also had a kid and wanted to reign it in and end all the war because he's now a father. 

Didn't know about the 5th season. Glad to hear it though. The first 2 episodes of this 4th season are very good and better than the 3rd. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Well so far so good I've quite liked some bits of this season, definitely better then season 3. Adrien Brody has been really good, but i love me some Alfie scenes, last nights was another doozie of a convo.

My complaint so far was the "setup" by Tommy and his Ma. If it really was a setup why wouldnt they set a proper trap with Arthur and the rest of them. Seems like a bit of a cop out if it was that easy to trap the main wop and his men why would you make it a 4 on 1(albeit a heavily armed 1) The finale has setup well though.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Well so far so good I've quite liked some bits of this season, definitely better then season 3. Adrien Brody has been really good, but i love me some Alfie scenes, last nights was another doozie of a convo.

Hide contents

My complaint so far was the "setup" by Tommy and his Ma. If it really was a setup why wouldnt they set a proper trap with Arthur and the rest of them. Seems like a bit of a cop out if it was that easy to trap the main wop and his men why would you make it a 4 on 1(albeit a heavily armed 1) The finale has setup well though.

I fucking love Alfie xD 

Hide contents

In regards to the bit in the spoiler, I presume it's because they see Arthur as being weak given who he is married to. He's not as gung-ho as he used to be and maybe they would have thought he wouldn't be up for it, so to speak.

Additionally, they probably don't want another member of the PB dead considering John has gone already. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Stan said:

I fucking love Alfie xD 

Reveal hidden contents

In regards to the bit in the spoiler, I presume it's because they see Arthur as being weak given who he is married to. He's not as gung-ho as he used to be and maybe they would have thought he wouldn't be up for it, so to speak.

Additionally, they probably don't want another member of the PB dead considering John has gone already. 

I mean i can understand the Arthur bit, especially with the religious under tow and his wife as you say, and about the vote to take away the bullet for Adrien Brody per se. But what about the gypsie Little Finger and his gang, i dont know just seemed like kind of a weak trap.

• Subscriber

God fucking damnit.

WHY DO MY FAVOURITE CHARACTERS IN EVERY SHOW I LIKE ALWAYS DIE. RIP ALFIE YOU BEAUTIFUL MAN. AND TAKE CARE OF HIS DAMN DOG TOMMY YOU ANIMAL

That Finale was pretty awesome, didnt see the Arthur twist coming that was well done. I dont really care for where the stories headed personally, as i think that was partly why season 3 wasnt great, but ill reserve judgement until the next season.

• Administrator

what a fucking finale indeed. amazing series and definitely no anti-climax like other programmes manage to achieve. 

Hide contents

Genuinely thought they'd killed off Arthur.

Sad to see Alfie go. WIll miss his feuds and comical takes on anything really. And will definitely miss his battles/conversations with Tommy. 

Having said that, given the way we though Arthur died, I wonder if Alfie will come back in season 5. Perhaps it's best if not. Who knows?!

Will be interesting how it goes with Tommy as a politician, let alone a leader of one. Gives him more power but also puts him in the public eye even more, and a beacon for attacks. 

Why do we have to wait til 2019 for the next series though :(:(

Archived