talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who Will Be The Next British Manager to Win The Premier League?

• Administrator

lot of focus in the media these days about 'giving British managers' a chance and foreign managers coming in denying them opportunities. Not a mantra I believe in - if you're good enough for the job based on your qualifications and experience, then you get the job. It shouldn't actually be based on nationality.

But it's been 5 years since the league was last won by a British manager (Fergie with Utd in 2013). You have to go over 20 years further back for the last English manager to win a top-flight title (Howard Wilkinson at Leeds in the final season before football began).

Who do you think it will be? Will anyone like Sean Dyche win it?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A British Premier League winner will not happen for a very long time, especially when the likes of Moyes and Hodgson are still getting jobs in the prem. 

You only have to see the reaction on here when the likes of Dyche and Howe are linked to bigger clubs to see why it won't happen.

I'm not sure it will ever happen. The English press seem to second guess their home grown managers to a far greater degree than they do with foreign managers. 

In an industry that is highly reliant on confidence in said person that is really disruptive to their prospects of success. 

Steven Gerrard. 

Now you bastards listen carefully first.  He is doing a great job with the U18s,  and if he keeps growing as a manager/coach then who knows,  few years down the line he just might.  But that's a big if. 

@Stan at the opening post.  Correct me if I am wrong,  but aren't Scots considered British? Then Kenny won it with Blackburn. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Steven Gerrard. 

Now you bastards listen carefully first.  He is doing a great job with the U18s,  and if he keeps growing as a manager/coach then who knows,  few years down the line he just might.  But that's a big if. 

@Stan at the opening post.  Correct me if I am wrong,  but aren't Scots considered British? Then Kenny won it with Blackburn. 

yeah. The last British manager to win it was Fergie. The last English manager was Wilkinson. 

Dalglish is irrelevant?

• Subscriber

Depends which managers have a remotely realistic chance of taking over a top six club. Leading candidates in the next few years are likely to be Simeone, Tuchel, possibly Marco Silva. In terms of English candidates, Gerrard, which sounds a laughable shout at first, might be the best bet simply on account of the fact that he's the only British person I can actually see in charge of a top six club in the next decade.

Infinitely more likely that it'll be someone who isn't even on the radar yet though. I can't see Dyche, Howe or any other current English managers even getting a job at one of the top six let alone leading them to a title.

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Depends which managers have a remotely realistic chance of taking over a top six club. Leading candidates in the next few years are likely to be Simeone, Tuchel, possibly Marco Silva. In terms of English candidates, Gerrard, which sounds a laughable shout at first, might be the best bet simply on account of the fact that he's the only British person I can actually see in charge of a top six club in the next decade.

Infinitely more likely that it'll be someone who isn't even on the radar yet though. I can't see Dyche, Howe or any other current English managers even getting a job at one of the top six let alone leading them to a title.

Literally my exact thought.

Maybe Ryan Giggs when he's finally caved in, lowered himself to the Reading job and turned out to actually be as good as his mates in the media make him out to be, proof that Everton, Leicester, West Ham etc... all did miss a trick as he ends up blitzing Man Utd to the title.

John or Frank will have the best chance if they get to where they hope to be as manager and the amount of trophy winning managers we have should make their odds low.

Gerrard like his playing career will be handicapped by his club. I have not been impressed with Giggs time at United and his failier to understand he needs to start somewhere lower makes me believe he has idea's above his station. Embarrassed himself making it known he was available for the Everton Job and it didnt help Carragher calling him out to be given that chance only to state the next day he was joking.

I think Arsenal might go British after Wenger, so whoever that is would get the first chance.

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Yeah can only see a 'romantic title win' scenario where an ex-legend like Giggs for United , Lampard for Chelsea, Gerrard for Liverpool, or Adam Johnson for City manage their respected clubs to the title.  

Nah mate it'd have to be a much younger team, one that probably only roughly what like 15 years old?

Archived