football forum

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
29 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Well it's needed. Instead of aiming for players on big wages not used to a relegation scramble they may be successful identifying more players like Antonio.

do they still want to buy African players?

Declan Rice is due to be offered a new contract. Reports say he's currently on a grand a week.

Quite surreal to think he's played 27 times in his first season at a club where the owners have shown little to no interest in processing academy players.

Hopefully Oxford, Cullen and Burke get similar opportunities.

18 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Declan Rice has looked absolute AIDS whenever I've seen him. Class that West Ham are keeping him on.

He made a monumental error against Arsenal. Half the time I think he's been steady but never spectacular. He's quite fortunate he plays in a system where in his position he can get away with being a 7/10 every week.

• 3 weeks later...

James Collins has been at West Ham for so long I was supporting them when he joined :$ (though he did leave for a while to go to Villa)

He helped form the dynamic defensive DWelsh Duo that was him and Daniel Gabbidon, needless to say he lasted so long at this level not because he had to adapt his game due to a loss of pace, but because he never had any to begin with. In fact I don't think he's aged in about 13 years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

They've appointed Mario Husillos as their new Director of Football. Was previously at Malaga as Sporting Director

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-confirm-appointment-of-mario-husillos-as-director-of-football-a3861761.html

West Ham have confirmed the appointment of Mario Husillos as their new director of football.

The Hammers have been working on a restructuring of their recruitment system since last season, though the appointment of a director of football hinged on the future of David Moyes.

Argentine Husillos joins the east London club from Spanish side Malaga, where he worked alongside the newly appointed Manuel Pellegrini during the club’s most successful spell.

Co-owner David Sullivan has previously spoken about taking a step back and allowing a new director more control over recruitment, after a number of high profile deals failed to make an impact at London Stadium.

Husillos, 59, is keen to link up with Pellegrini once more in giving West Ham fans a team to be proud of: “I am very excited. West Ham United is a club with huge ambition. The challenge to help deliver that ambition is what really attracted me to the role,” he said.

“I know the manager well and know he wants to deliver an exciting brand of attacking football. It will be my job to supply him with the tools to do just that.

“I am very much looking forward to working with Manuel Pellegrini again. We had great success together at Malaga, reaching the Champions League, and he is someone that I have huge respect for.

“I have seen West Ham play many times before. The fans are very passionate and close to the team, and I hope we can give them a team to be proud of next season.”

Sullivan said: “On behalf of everyone at West Ham United, I would like to welcome Mario Husillos and his family to the club.

“Mario will take complete, strategic control of all player recruitment and, alongside Manuel, has the full support and confidence of myself and David Gold to lead that department.”

• 2 months later...

I know this is dangerous to say because it's West Ham, but I think after a period of adjustment this season they'll turn into a decent side under Pellegrini. There seems to be an actual gameplan with the likes of Hernandez, Arnautovic, Felipe Anderson and Wilshere all bouncing off of each other, playing twos and trying to open space up through smart thinking and to steal a term from Mark Warburton, good pitch geography.

There are some ageing/not that good aspects to their first team, like Zabaleta, Masuaku and Snodgrass. Snodgrass especially seems out of place in that attacking line-up, didn't rate him that much against Bournemouth and seemed to succumb to a rush of blood to the head whenever someone didn't pass to him.

One of these days Noble's time at this level will be up, but I think at the moment his natural playing style suits what Pellegrini wants West Ham to do. He's fairly calm and collected on the ball and doesn't make rash passes out of nowhere, but has a decent range of long passing for whenever one of the forwards make a diagonal run.

They might take a few hammerings before Christmas (pun not intended....), and I think will need to replace one or two of the players mentioned above, but I think they'll find their form and probably hit midtable/threaten for the Europa with some inconsistent spells of really good attacking football.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

R.I.P. Martin.

Quote.thumb.png.bf098939801ee09338cb86afd9087c17.png

It's sad to hear the passing away of one of England's 1966 World Cup winners. The players in that team became legends and heroes for England. Even though I am too young to have ever have seen Peters play live, I did watch highlights of that 1966 final many times as a kid. Peters was an important player in that England team and of course he scored one of England's goals in that final. 

R.I.P. Martin Peters

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.1a2f6a4db8eb4271084e9103d759f1a8.png

West Ham announce seating nearer the pitch at London Stadium from next season

West Ham have announced that they plan to have new seating at the London Stadium in place for the start of next season.

The club have commissioned Arena Events Group to redevelop the lower tiers of the Sir Trevor Brooking and Bobby Moore Stands behind either goal, squaring off either stand and bringing them closer to the edge of the pitch.

The distance between the fans and the action has been one of the main frustrations since the club’s move from Upton Park and some could now have their seat moved more than four metres closer.

Announcing the plans, West Ham said: “Following a period of design development, E20 [stadium owners] and West Ham United will review the stands with the aim of installing the seats this summer.

“In line with the board’s commitment, the club is constantly working hard to continue to enhance the matchday experience at every level.”

Manager David Moyes has been handed a boost in training this week with the return of midfielder Felipe Anderson.

Moyes has bemoaned the lack of creative quality in his midfield, with Manuel Lazini’s poor form a particular concern. But having resumed light training, Anderson now has a chance of featuring at Manchester City on Sunday.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-seating-nearer-pitch-london-stadium-a4353246.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My old mans watching the last game at Upton Park against United on Sky and fuck me do they miss that stadium. Obviously this is a very special occasion but there aren’t many clubs and stadiums in England that could match the atmosphere West Ham used to create on those big nights...they’ve been right done up

It does make you think why do clubs never build a new stadium with 4 seperate stands anymore? You can still put the same facilities into each stand so why don’t people give the stadiums some life and each stand their own bit of character?

Their fans were sold a ridiculous pipedream and their fans took it hook, line and sinker, despite bags of evidence that Olympic Stadium’s were essentially a curse and anyone with any notion of sanity realising that it wasn’t quite as simple as going into a new ground and European qualification just happening. I’d have sympathised if they hadn’t been so blind. There’s absolutely no way Gold, Sullivan and Brady expected it to be as easy as it was. 

10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Their fans were sold a ridiculous pipedream and their fans took it hook, line and sinker, despite bags of evidence that Olympic Stadium’s were essentially a curse and anyone with any notion of sanity realising that it wasn’t quite as simple as going into a new ground and European qualification just happening. I’d have sympathised if they hadn’t been so blind. There’s absolutely no way Gold, Sullivan and Brady expected it to be as easy as it was. 

The Olympic Stadium was in the works ever since I was at school, I think that made it easier to sell to the fans. Plus when they say they can’t build on Upton Park you can only do so much 

That place was a fortress when West Ham got going, I knew there were building restrictions but if they could have upgraded the east stand similarly to the old Dr. Martyn’s stand the capacity could have been around 45k which wouldn’t be far off what the Olympic Stadium is. 

Archived