talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Ham United Discussion

football forum

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Gold (Or maybe it was Sullivan? Either way he came across like a bellend) effectively made a speech last season about how an academy prospect would have to be really special to get a chance at West Ham. Not the most inspiring of speeches for somebody like Reece Oxford to hear. So maybe after hearing that he's happy to leave and as he is a decent player an arguably better team willing to give young players a chance are taking him on.

• Subscriber

Reece Oxford started and played quite well if I remember rightly on the first day of the season away at Arsenal a couple of years ago when they won. The following week, they had us at home and he looked all over the place. He got dropped the week after if I remember rightly, and I'm not sure he's featured a lot since? This was nearly two years ago now.

West Ham's owners really are garbage. The worst in the league for me.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Large said:

Why?

The ground situation by and large. Moved from one of the most iconic stadiums in the country to a soulless non-football ground, and so far have absolutely nothing on the pitch to show for it.

• Subscriber

It's only been a year since the stadium move to be fair, but Karen Brady in particular seems to be full of "look at us we're ambitious" sound bites whenever they sign a decent, established Premier League player like Carroll.

18 hours ago, Dan said:

The ground situation by and large. Moved from one of the most iconic stadiums in the country to a soulless non-football ground, and so far have absolutely nothing on the pitch to show for it.

Can't argue with that, but does that make them the worst club owner's in the Premier League? I didn't want us to move but we have and that is where we are now. The atmosphere has been incredibly hit and miss but was always expected. All the cliques that were established at Upton Park have been split up and now new ones need to be made. That will take longer than one season to do. The club is ambitious and see an opportunity to achieve those at the new stadium. They negotiated a ridiculous good deal [for West Ham that is] with the owners for the place which ironically has seemd to make supporters like us even less than they did. I fail to see the logic there, as what was they supposed to do? Get offered a gift horse and say no?

16 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's only been a year since the stadium move to be fair, but Karen Brady in particular seems to be full of "look at us we're ambitious" sound bites whenever they sign a decent, established Premier League player like Carroll.

What is she to say though? Seems like she's stuck between a rock and hard place here. She says whay she says and she and the club get accused of thinking they're all that when they are far from it. She tempers it and then her 'soundbites' are used against us as not showing any ambition.

I'm not going to pretend to be Gold, Sullivan and/or Brady fans, but they did get us right out of the shit and for that I'm grateful. I just don't understand the seemingly irrational hatred I'm reading from some on this foum about the club. I even offered to get into a discussion about it but got no takers so am still stumped. That's football I suppose.

• Subscriber

If she gets asked then yeah, there's nothing else she can say and I suppose as more of a public figure in the UK anyway she's more likely to be giving interviews about it than most owners, my only point is that at most clubs, big signings are shown off by the club through marketing and social media rather than owners coming out and saying look how ambitious we are. Like I've said though Karen Brady in particular is in a different position than say Abramovich or the Sheikhs who run City. 

Never had a problem with West Ham fans when I've been there and they've come up. A good laugh that are realistic. I think people think those on twitter are a complete representation of a fan base which is of course a load of shit.  

Brady is an idiot though. Put her in the same category as Elstone. Right job, wrong industry. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If she gets asked then yeah, there's nothing else she can say and I suppose as more of a public figure in the UK anyway she's more likely to be giving interviews about it than most owners, my only point is that at most clubs, big signings are shown off by the club through marketing and social media rather than owners coming out and saying look how ambitious we are. Like I've said though Karen Brady in particular is in a different position than say Abramovich or the Sheikhs who run City. 

There is a difference though [which I acknowledge you have alluded to]. West Ham are trying to improve their lot. Chelsea and Man City are already 'there'. If we were ever to become a club that regularly challenges for the top prizes in football then I'm sure our 'business' model would change to reflect that. In fact if we were to ever become a perceived top club it will have probably meant that it had been sold to an "Abramovich or the Sheikhs" anyway.

2 hours ago, HK85 said:

Never had a problem with West Ham fans when I've been there and they've come up. A good laugh that are realistic. I think people think those on twitter are a complete representation of a fan base which is of course a load of shit.  

Brady is an idiot though. Put her in the same category as Elstone. Right job, wrong industry. 

Annoying I'll give you, pompous you can have as well as with the others. And I so wish Jack Sullivan would get back into his box as well. She's no idiot though.

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

They're amongst the least realistic bunch going in the UK and that's before you even venture onto social media. 

Well I'm one of the "they're" so please explain how unrealistic I am.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Large said:

Can't argue with that, but does that make them the worst club owner's in the Premier League? I didn't want us to move but we have and that is where we are now. The atmosphere has been incredibly hit and miss but was always expected. All the cliques that were established at Upton Park have been split up and now new ones need to be made. That will take longer than one season to do. The club is ambitious and see an opportunity to achieve those at the new stadium. They negotiated a ridiculous good deal [for West Ham that is] with the owners for the place which ironically has seemd to make supporters like us even less than they did. I fail to see the logic there, as what was they supposed to do? Get offered a gift horse and say no?

What is she to say though? Seems like she's stuck between a rock and hard place here. She says whay she says and she and the club get accused of thinking they're all that when they are far from it. She tempers it and then her 'soundbites' are used against us as not showing any ambition.

I'm not going to pretend to be Gold, Sullivan and/or Brady fans, but they did get us right out of the shit and for that I'm grateful. I just don't understand the seemingly irrational hatred I'm reading from some on this foum about the club. I even offered to get into a discussion about it but got no takers so am still stumped. That's football I suppose.

I could half understand it if you really had backed that up on the pitch - but you haven't and I think a degree of the blame lies with the owners. Your summer last year was embarrassing. For a club who've just negotiated this stadium deal and have that kind of TV money coming in I'm amazed you didn't sign better. All I heard was derisory offers for players like Defoe.

Maybe worst in the league is going overboard (although if they aren't, then who is?) but I'd be sick if I was a West Ham fan, losing a home like that for the Olympic Stadium. New grounds take a while to get used to - we're a good example, but I think we finally have done. I couldn't ever see myself warming to that place if I was a West Ham fan. It didn't feel like going to the football.

You'll know more than me on it but your situation would annoy me if I was a fan of yours.

1 minute ago, Large said:

Well I'm one of the "they're" so please explain how unrealistic I am.

Don't know you personally nor see you mention much on West Ham here (granted the season is over) so I wouldn't judge you but having been born and brought up in Essex, I find myself all too close to West Ham fans who see their club as something it really isn't and something it's not going to be without vast changes, none of which are realistic or achievable with the powers that West Ham possess currently. 

• Subscriber

@Large wouldn't take this thread personal mate, obviously not directed at you personally but the spackers supporting your club who seem to make more noise relative to your overall fan base than other clubs, mainly the firm lads on twitter from the first page of the thread. 

18 hours ago, Dan said:

I could half understand it if you really had backed that up on the pitch - but you haven't and I think a degree of the blame lies with the owners. Your summer last year was embarrassing. For a club who've just negotiated this stadium deal and have that kind of TV money coming in I'm amazed you didn't sign better. All I heard was derisory offers for players like Defoe.

Maybe worst in the league is going overboard (although if they aren't, then who is?) but I'd be sick if I was a West Ham fan, losing a home like that for the Olympic Stadium. New grounds take a while to get used to - we're a good example, but I think we finally have done. I couldn't ever see myself warming to that place if I was a West Ham fan. It didn't feel like going to the football.

You'll know more than me on it but your situation would annoy me if I was a fan of yours.

It did, but it's happened. The Boleyn is no more so we now move on get on with what we have. I've been told that there's a lot going on to rectify the issues that the club have identified in hindsight. The main one for me which massively impacts on the atmosphere is this ridiculous notion of the stadium being 'family friendly' so no need for dedicated areas. Although not been officially confirmed [so could be bollocks] I've heard that this will be rectified so that families are no longer spread throughout the stadium as they are now, which in my opinion tends to dillute the atmosphere. There is also talk that they are looking to move the more 'vocal' supporters together which should encourage singing, chanting, etc. and which should then ripple through the whole crowd.

Although no longer in the financial shit house we were in before being taken over, there is still a sizeable debt that the club owes albeit now a managed one. Saying that though, it's not like they spent no money last season. As well as spending over £70m in transfers it actually cost us just over £36m [taking into consideration money made from transfers received]. In real terms that's more spent than Spurs, Leicester, Everton, Chelsea, Liverpool and Southampton [to name a few]. Now I agree that the quality from that investment was utter karsi, but that's a seperate conversation altogether, but I'm highlighting the financial commitment the club has made in getting players in.

18 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Don't know you personally nor see you mention much on West Ham here (granted the season is over) so I wouldn't judge you but having been born and brought up in Essex, I find myself all too close to West Ham fans who see their club as something it really isn't and something it's not going to be without vast changes, none of which are realistic or achievable with the powers that West Ham possess currently. 

Yeah, that did come across a bit confrontational. Wasn't meant, was just generalising as a West Ham fan.

15 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

@Large wouldn't take this thread personal mate, obviously not directed at you personally but the spackers supporting your club who seem to make more noise relative to your overall fan base than other clubs, mainly the firm lads on twitter from the first page of the thread. 

No worries mate. Am not taking it personally at all [at the moment :D]. Am intrigued though to understand the perception that people have of the club and why it seems to be generally disliked. Seeing discussions about who we should and should not be approaching for transfer always seem to contradict what people then say about the club. As I seem to be the only active West Ham supporter it is my duty to stand up for the honour of my club. The greatest one in the land, nay the world. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

@Cannabis I'd be quite happy if we sign Grey. The fella has goals in him and would give us a different dimension up top.

I won't pretend to know the full details surrounding the Iheanacho transfer, but I also doubt those complaining about it do either. I am a bit concerned about the lack of business done so far, but I'll reserve judgement until the end of the window.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

I think Grey would be a good fit for you to be honest. I think he's good enough to step up from a relegation battle to a mid-table run with you at West Ham, I'm not saying that he will pull up any trees but he will give you a different dimension like you suggested. 

As funny as it is to see the meltdown on Twitter I agree with you about Kelechi too, there might be a very good reason as to why you have cooled your interest and if missing out on him means that you sign Chicharito then I'd say you'd done quite well. 

I so hope we get that one. Whoever gets Iheanacho, they're taking a bit of a gamble for the overall deal. I would have liked us to take the punt if the package was right, but at the same time I'm not that bothered that we haven't.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Iheanacho is a world class talent. Happy Blue said so.

:D

He could end being so, but as well as the cost I think people are forgetting that he doesn't seem to be that popular in the dressing room either. I'm not stating that to suggest that he would not be a good signing, but just that added on top of everything else it could possibly be a bullet dodged. Time will tell.

Latest I've heard today is an interest in Babacar, ,although to be fair name any striker in the world and the press will have or have had us linked to him.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Large said:

:D

He could end being so, but as well as the cost I think people are forgetting that he doesn't seem to be that popular in the dressing room either. I'm not stating that to suggest that he would not be a good signing, but just that added on top of everything else it could possibly be a bullet dodged. Time will tell.

Latest I've heard today is an interest in Babacar, ,although to be fair name any striker in the world and the press will have or have had us linked to him.

Where's this talk of him being unpopular in the dressing room come from?

That would surprise me. We very rarely sign a bad character. Pearson, Shakespeare and co were obsessed with a player's character. From a football point of view at least xD

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dan said:

That would surprise me. We very rarely sign a bad character. Pearson, Shakespeare and co were obsessed with a player's character. From a football point of view at least xD

You on about? Leicester dressing room is full of snakes and everyone knows it. 

:ph34r:

3 hours ago, Dan said:

It was alluded to when none of his team mates celebrated with him when he scored a couple of goals last year [can't remember which games]. I've also had this confirmed by people who work at City. I was told that he thought he was all that and the players weren't having him. Now, might not be an issue any more and he may have got his head right but I don't know.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

You on about? Leicester dressing room is full of snakes and everyone knows it. 

:ph34r:

See it from a snake's point of view, they're good characters to us ;)

• The title was changed to West Ham United Discussion - Moyes Replaces Bilic Til End of Season

Archived