talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wanting your own team to lose

football forum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39226443

Think this lad is chatting shit to be honest with regards to the Arsenal situation but what are people's thoughts on this?

In my own experience, I think it gets to the point when you've lost faith in a manager that you're not bothered about a particular defeat and you can see certain things coming a mile off but I've certainly never wanted my own team to lose because of who the manager is. I think I do remember a minority of our fans wanting us to lose back in the dark days of Hodgson though.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been in this situation many times. I've seen people actively not support the team in the stadium, as in not acknowledge good play. Never thought that was right myself.

When you know a manager you want out is a game or two away from it I think you can feel relief when not winning. 

Coming out and saying you want to lose though is a little over the top but honest I guess.

Sometimes, the future is just more important than one football match. If losing one game instigates a change to the club hierarchy and organisation it may be for the better. It could be better to set aside foolish pride if it is for the greater good.

• Subscriber

I've never actively wanted us to lose but towards the end under Ranieri we were that bad, with one obvious solution, that you thought any time we somehow manage to fluke a win it's just going to prolong the inevitable. To an extent I'd say the win over Man City did that, that was a bit of a freak result, a tactical blunder by Guardiola more than anything.

Don't get me wrong, I can't as a supporter of Leicester City moan about the fact we beat Man City xD but the next game when we went back to the usual crap I did just think all that's done is deluded people that things will be OK.

No, I didn't turn up wanting us to lose, but there wasn't that same hunger for us to come back when we fell behind either. It's back now.

• Administrator

I remember the dark days at QPR when then fans were going mental at the players and our managers were powerless to influence the money grabbing Cunts. Back then I openly admit I welcomed relegation, I didn't want the team to lose but the situation was like a cancer at the club and it was only going to change through relegation. Which it has. It ain't a exactly better but QPR is more stable now.

I've not wanted Marseille to lose per se; but I didn't like seeing the heart ripped out the team by the owners and as before for them to see the damage they were doing. You can't run a club into the ground and not expect shit to happen so losing was a good way to make visible how Shit things were. 

17 hours ago, LFCMike said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39226443

Think this lad is chatting shit to be honest with regards to the Arsenal situation but what are people's thoughts on this?

In my own experience, I think it gets to the point when you've lost faith in a manager that you're not bothered about a particular defeat and you can see certain things coming a mile off but I've certainly never wanted my own team to lose because of who the manager is. I think I do remember a minority of our fans wanting us to lose back in the dark days of Hodgson though.

I've never wanted Arsenal to lose, but I can see why some Arsenal fans are of this opinion. I completely disagree with it, but with the fans being so powerless in trying to push for change at the club that isn't happening. With Wenger looking very likely to sign another deal, I think fans think the only way to move on from him is to lose games.

17 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I have never wanted Everton to lose a game of football but there was one occurrence where I wasn't totally bothered when Liverpool had a shot at the title and ''slipped up''. We had to play Manchester City with two or three weeks left in the season and a victory would have certainly handed the title to our rivals, I sat in the ground rather numb, not supporting Everton 100% for the first time in my life and not cheering on Manchester City as that's just weird. 

If I remember rightly there was a tiny bit of trouble when Aguero put City 1-0 up as a few Evertonians got up and cheered and we eventually fell to a 3-2 defeat. 

That was the strangest atmosphere. Most including myself, obviously didn't want Everton to lose but at the same time, weren't bothered if they did. 

I don't know about "wanting" Liverpool to lose but there were times under Hodgson when I simply wasn't arsed. We were playing shit football under a shit manager with shit owners. We had no direction and we certainly weren't going anywhere in the league, so what was the point? Bleak times.

I don't go to a home match or watch an away match on tv wanting Arsenal to lose.

BUT!

I don't want to qualify for the Champions League this year and I certainly don't want to win the FA Cup this season.  Take that as you will because for that to happen we can't win too many games.  I want Wenger out because he and various members of the board (the ones that matter) will search for any way for the man to remain as manager of the club.

I WANT WENGER TO LEAVE MY FOOTBALL CLUB!

I'd rather it was with a please and thank you than anymore animosity.

• Administrator

I can't imagine ever wanting Leicester to lose and willing that they concede or miss an open goal to get a win. Similar to Dan, everyone in and around the club seemed to know what needed to be done but while Ranieri was still at the helm, he was always going to receive support. That Man City game turned out to be a fluke of all sorts  and probably bought Ranieri some more time. Same goes with the win over Everton in the cup most likely. Unexpected results but it just prolonged the inevitable, really.

I have never and don't plan on ever wishing Leicester to lose. It just wouldn't sit right with me and I'd question my own support of the club if I ever thought this let alone how others support the club.

10 hours ago, Batard said:

I remember the dark days at QPR when then fans were going mental at the players and our managers were powerless to influence the money grabbing Cunts. Back then I openly admit I welcomed relegation, I didn't want the team to lose but the situation was like a cancer at the club and it was only going to change through relegation. Which it has. It ain't a exactly better but QPR is more stable now.

I've not wanted Marseille to lose per se; but I didn't like seeing the heart ripped out the team by the owners and as before for them to see the damage they were doing. You can't run a club into the ground and not expect shit to happen so losing was a good way to make visible how Shit things were. 

I seem to remember that - you were going through a prolonged state of online fury that never actually resulted in a meltdown. I'm sure QPR's relegation that season has actually added on another 3 or 4 years to your life.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

I seem to remember that - you were going through a prolonged state of online fury that never actually resulted in a meltdown. I'm sure QPR's relegation that season has actually added on another 3 or 4 years to your life.

The QPR Premier League years were poisonously unpleasant. Fans fighting amongst themselves, players like Bosingwa being lazy beyond words and managers like Hughes who looked absolutely clueless. Dire.

If it were the last game of the year, and losing to Dortmund meant they would win the league over Bayern, while we'd be at 3rd regardless, then hell yeah - Beat up 1-0 and take that shit from Munich. 

Feeling apathetic towards the result because things aren't going well is a totally different thing to actually wanting your team to lose. Wanting the latter makes you a look like a bit of a cunt, a bit of a Piers Morgan. "It's not going the way I want so fuck it all". Slightly childish and weak.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, StanLCFC said:

I can't imagine ever wanting Leicester to lose and willing that they concede or miss an open goal to get a win. Similar to Dan, everyone in and around the club seemed to know what needed to be done but while Ranieri was still at the helm, he was always going to receive support. That Man City game turned out to be a fluke of all sorts  and probably bought Ranieri some more time. Same goes with the win over Everton in the cup most likely. Unexpected results but it just prolonged the inevitable, really.

I have never and don't plan on ever wishing Leicester to lose. It just wouldn't sit right with me and I'd question my own support of the club if I ever thought this let alone how others support the club.

It really hit home for me when I'd booked half a day off, spent four hours driving to Burnley, got soaked and didn't even feel a jot of injustice when Burnley pinched it at the end through a last minute goal that shouldn't have counted.

I didn't want to see us fail but it was quite clear a while back Ranieri wasn't taking us forward. What happened last year was incredible but I realised probably as earlier as October time that there was no sustainability past last season to it. I'm thankful it didn't run out last year.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Around about March last season it happened to me too, it had hit home that Martinez was taking us in the wrong direction and whilst I didn't want us to lose my passion for the club had totally evaporated. Going to Goodison felt like a chore and the atmosphere was hostile with banners in the Gwladys Street calling for the manager to be sacked, I'd go as far as to say it's the worst season I've had to endure in the eight or nine that I've been going as a season ticket holder. 

Thankfully, Koeman has brought the good times back and I once again look forward to playing at home.

Yeah you were horrendous at the end of last season. I'd say our win over you was the easiest of the entire season and given we had nothing to play for by that time that's quite remarkable.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Dan said:

Yeah you were horrendous at the end of last season. I'd say our win over you was the easiest of the entire season and given we had nothing to play for by that time that's quite remarkable.

to be fair, that was our last home gome and I don't think Everton had anything to play for either?

Everton, being the club they are and I mean that in a nice way, wouldn't have wanted to ruin our celebrations (I don't think, anyway). Not to say that they threw the game but neither team was exactly trying hard that day - for once on a matchday it wasn't about the 90 mins of football, it was the trophy-giving and celebrations after.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

We didn't have anything to play for but we'd just spent a second successive season floating above relegation which quite frankly is ridiculous. It's no wonder than within a month of Moshiri taking over the club he was calling for Martinez to be sacked and later got his wish. 

My annoyance with the defeat to you was the manner of it more than anything, we were beaten 4-0 and it could have been eight or nine if you'd really stepped it up a gear. For us to show such little bottle, such little tactical awareness and such little desire to win the game was what made it one of the worst games of the season. Had we kept Martinez on board for another year we should have just ended it there and shut the club down :ph34r:.

4-0?

Shit, did I miss a game last season? Maybe it was all a dream :(:(

• Subscriber

It could honestly have been 7 or 8 for us. It was laughably easy. Reminded me of that Doncaster game in the Championship a few years ago. Didn't even have to do anything and we won 4-0.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Dan said:

It could honestly have been 7 or 8 for us. It was laughably easy. Reminded me of that Doncaster game in the Championship a few years ago. Didn't even have to do anything and we won 4-0.

five years ago O.o.

Seems like much longer!

Don't think it's the same thing but I am so disillusioned with Orient at the minute that I don't really care about the outcome of the game. That doesn't mean I want them to lose games but I don't seem to get excited about games, I don't really want to go and watch games and what happens and the end result matter little to me. If anything you could say I have fallen out of love with the club really. Will that return if we get new owners? Honestly, I'm not sure it will. 

I cant see myself buying a season ticket next season and if anything, I think I'll just pick and choose games at various levels when I fancy a game. 

• Subscriber

Did you have any of that money on Orient to drop? I went with your tip of 40/1 and it's looking very hopeful now. Not to rub things in, mind, as it's awful what's going on.

Archived