Italy National Team Discussion

football forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5a0a961798de4.jpg

THE END

Where now for the Azzurri?

'The End' is the front page headline of La Gazzetta dello Sport on this dark moment in history that will never be forgotten in Italy.  The question now it; Will things finally change for Italian football and the way things have traditionally been seen in Italy.

The truth is that there's been a call for change for many years now and it kind of started the day after Italy won their fourth World Cup in 2006.  I remember at the time days after that World Cup that there was lots of talk about Italy needing to look forward to the way football had started to change elsewhere in Europe and that the way teams now defended in zones almost throughout footballdom and how most of Europe's biggest names in football be it club football or international football were now emphasising on 'how to attack' and not 'how to defend and nick a result'...  Italy is one of the biggest names in world football from their historical club sides to their national team.  Italy before last night had only missed two World Cups, one in the very first edition in 1930 due to turmoil in Europe at the time and the FIGC not having the money to make the team travel and the only other time in 1958 with the World Cup in Sweden where they didn't participate due to not qualifying...  That and the fact they've been World Champions on four separate occasions.

But Italy's national team has suffering a decadence for years now, a slow dry rot with no philosophical evolution of their own game at least and the whispers coming in from the high ranking more visionary members of the FIGC have been exactly that for a decade now, whispers.  Because to negate on Italy's trademark traditional production line of hardline defenders and their physical brand of sit back and capitalise on the rival's error has been hard to drop...  With that I go back a few days to some comments made by one of Italy's respected senior figures in the present team, Giorgio Chiellini who in the aftermath of the defeat in Stockholm by 1-0 to Sweden he said this amongst other things (I take the main quotes);

"This country has been participating in the World Cup for 60 years and it would be a shame if we didn't qualify. However, with this Spain in our group, we knew that the play-offs was a very big possibility."

"Guardiol-ismo has ruined a generation of defenders, now everyone is looking to push up, start the play, on crosses there are no Italian defenders who intimidate the rival and our tradition is being lost. We will never have the tiki-taka of Spain and looking for that would cause us to lose our history. Many were mad when I was saying that Juve would never win 6-0 like Madrid but I see that los Blancos are changing in this sense too."

"the return of some true defense would also help."

All of those comments are important but the damning state of Italian football and the burying of one's head in the sand syndrome come in the shortest of the three selected quotes which is the final one.

Italy and Italian football has always been hesitant to change anything in part because of their pride as a latin nation and the fact they are one of the most successful nations in the sport throughout the planet.  Why should we change?  Why!  Why all this constant talk about change if we won a World Cup as recent as 2006 when football had already started to change everywhere else and we also got to a European Championship Final in 2012.  Add to the fact we knocked "tiki-taka" out of the latest edition of the Euros as recently as two years ago!  But owning up to one's deficiencies isn't something human beings take well at the most of times and for latin to do this it takes a lot more than just getting knocked out early out of two World Cups...  "We can blame that on tactics and poor coaching"...  Not the philosophy, not the fact football has changed, but individuals are the problem here.

Yes it's true Conte produced a decent Euros in the last edition with what in Italy was considered as their poorest pool of players in decades and that can be seen as a tactical victory with which better luck in players coming through will see the team do better in the future if we maintain our basic belief on how the game is being played.

Spain first and then Germany changed their philosophy in how they traditionally played the game over a decade ago...  Spain threw away their "Fúria Rosa" (Red Fury) history to promote what Spain traditionally produces which is technical players and implanting this in every academy, and then Germany followed suit by using what they're good at but not ignoring the change in the sport.

The problem is that when senior figures such as Chiellini say things like these in public by playing on national heart strings burning with pride and nostalgia in a glorious past, you end up getting the voices of dissent wanting change throughout Italian football hiding once again just incase they're stabbed in the back and ostracised.

What's the way forward?

This is a big question because Italian football academies and the outlook on what comes through from infant level continues to be the same as it was 50 years ago on the most.  Small technically gifted players are seen as great, but they're not trusted...  Example Lorenzo Insigne who is presently Italy's most naturally talented player who seems to be more Spanish in the way he plays, not getting a first team place for Conte or the now vilified Ventura.  Look at SSC Napoli who are seen as an anomaly in Italian football in the manner they approach football in Italy and who seem to belong in a different league.

You can't change EVER in life until you admit where you're going wrong.  Until you come to terms with your problem.  This goes for all walks of life!

I think Italy have lost their famous way of their style they have played in the past getting results Catenaccio.  They have been bad for a while now compared to the past,  but Juventus doing well in Europe have kind of papered over the cracks in Italian football as there has been no other successful team. Ac and Inter Milan are down in the dumps with full of foreign players, Napoli and Roma are again a team made up by a majority of foreign players. 

There are no good Italian young players but this isn't in their football make up as their players all bloom around the 28-30s.     I would be worried though as they don't really have hardly any good players now around that age.

1 hour ago, VanPaddy said:

I think Italy have lost their famous way of their style they have played in the past getting results Catenaccio.  They have been bad for a while now compared to the past,  but Juventus doing well in Europe have kind of papered over the cracks in Italian football as there has been no other successful team. Ac and Inter Milan are down in the dumps with full of foreign players, Napoli and Roma are again a team made up by a majority of foreign players. 

There are no good Italian young players but this isn't in their football make up as their players all bloom around the 28-30s.     I would be worried though as they don't really have hardly any good players now around that age.

Germany were also famed for that kind of way of winning. Moving on didn't hurt them much.

Italy's best creative players like Insigne and Verratti and Jorginho all thrive in possession set-ups. They have technically proficient defenders like Rugani, Bonucci and Romagnoli. They have versatile attackers like Bernardeschi, El Sharaawy and Chiesa.

Somebody should show some balls and try something new.

Also Rugani, Chiesa and Donnaruma are pretty good young players, off the top of my head. 

13 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Germany were also famed for that kind of way of winning. Moving on didn't hurt them much.

Italy's best creative players like Insigne and Verratti and Jorginho all thrive in possession set-ups. They have technically proficient defenders like Rugani, Bonucci and Romagnoli. They have versatile attackers like Bernardeschi, El Sharaawy and Chiesa.

Somebody should show some balls and try something new.

Also Rugani, Chiesa and Donnaruma are pretty good young players, off the top of my head. 

Agree! What’s the point in playing Jorginho if the rigid system with 3 at the back doesn’t suit possession style football.

They have to go into the think tank and start from scratch. It doesn’t mean losing your traditions, but to bring them upto date and evolve.

They like England have been doing and you can observe in their youth now, updated the way infant football is pushed forward.

I read some stories about infancy level football in Italy and how many acadmies (the majority) stop children from playing from the back in a measured manner. 

• Administrator

i'm surprised he hasn't got the Italy gig before. Maybe because he was too busy winning Champions League trophies with clubs but I'd have thought with some of the big players Italy have had in the past he might have been tempted.

There's a new generation of Italy to develop with some players recently retiring (Pirlo, Totti, Nesta/Maldini/Gattuso a bit further back) and players like Buffon, Chiellini, Barzagli, De Rossi possibly hanging up their international boots soon after the latest disappointment. 

So much talent amongst the youngsters - Donnarumma, Rugani, Belotti, Romagnoli, Conti, Pellegrini off the top of my head who are all under 25. Then along with players like El Shaarawy, Insigne (!), Jorginho, Immobile coming back to form, Gagliardini, Bernadeschi amongst others. 

They're not in dire straits like Netherlands were when they missed out on the Euros and there seemed to be a total lack of players coming through to become a great side again. Italy have the players, it's just the coaches and decisions of the management have massively held them back and they've paid the ultimate price. Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if they were back to their best by Euro 2020 or the World Cup in 2022 (if not the Euros). 

38 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I will be surprised if Italy appoint anyone other than this bloke. Has to get the gig surely.

Carlo-Andelotti.thumb.jpg.12284c2b74646a6ffe631067ab65c8c6.jpg

carloancelotti-celebrating.thumb.jpg.421d6d39de9058fb7b82657b095496fc.jpg

He'd actually bring a new identity to the national side, which is what it needs in all honesty. Great motivator, implements attacking football. Not to mention his faults won't nearly be as exposed with the national side as they are with club football. 

Belotti

Insigne-------------------Bernardeschi

Verratti-----Pellegrini

Jorginho 

Emerson----Rugani--Bonucci----Florenzi

Donnarumma

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

He'd actually bring a new identity to the national side, which is what it needs in all honesty. Great motivator, implements attacking football. Not to mention his faults won't nearly be as exposed with the national side as they are with club football. 

Belotti

Verratti-----Pellegrini

Jorginho 

Donnarumma

I'd be careful with that right centre-back you've picked. Until he sorts himself out at Milan, I'd steer clear.

I don't think Ancelotti will get the job. Italy will be out of the international game until next year and if anyone reputable goes for him he will go without a doubt. I honestly believe it will be tough for Italy to bag him as a coach.  They need some luck on their side.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't think Ancelotti will get the job. Italy will be out of the international game until next year and if anyone reputable goes for him he will go without a doubt. I honestly believe it will be tough for Italy to bag him as a coach.  They need some luck on their side.

Why?

The Italian national job is the biggest honour in Italian football!

For me Ancelotti isn’t the answer anyway... SARRI IS!

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Why?

The Italian national job is the biggest honour in Italian football!

For me Ancelotti isn’t the answer anyway... SARRI IS!

Not untrue but Ancelotti will have to be "out" of the game for 10 months. I put out in quotes for a reason mind you.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Belotti

Verratti-----Pellegrini

Jorginho 

Donnarumma

They have the potential of a good spine there for the future. Donnarumma - Rugani - Verratti - Insigne - Belotti. Verratti should be captain for me.

My Italian Football knowledge is not the best but in terms of a long term successor to Bonucci, or if they choose to play 3 at the back again, is that Romagnoli not knocking on the door?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

They have the potential of a good spine there for the future. Donnarumma - Rugani - Verratti - Insigne - Belotti. Verratti should be captain for me.

My Italian Football knowledge is not the best but in terms of a long term successor to Bonucci, or if they choose to play 3 at the back again, is that Romagnoli not knocking on the door?

Romagnoli and Rugani are the next best younger centre-backs I'd say. Caldara of Atalanta isn't a bad shout but no doubt Bonucci will be the first name up til Euro 2020 probably.

If they go back to 4 at the back, I'd want Romagnoli and Rugani in the middle, Conti (AC Milan) at right back and there's also a guy called Spinazzola, also of Atalanta, who did well in their success last season. There's also De Sciglio of Juve who is a bit more experienced than Conti.

Another thing that has to be thrown at Ventura is his cowardliness...  After the fiasco in Stockholm where Italy lost 1-0 he said that the press and all of his detractors would be eating their words because he knew what was required and how to turn it all around.  That once Italy had qualified for the World Cup in Russia that he should be given apologies.

Well after all that he refused to do a post-match press conference last night so as the press could quiz him on what they thought was questionable.  It's not just for the press but also answering to the Italian fans!  They wanted answers last night, they wanted someone to take responsibility and the only thing that occurred was a passionate crying Buffon and an angry De Rossi confronting Italy and the world's press.

Stand up for yourself man!  If you're big enough before the aftermath, then be there when it's most required and you have failed.

• The title was changed to Italy National Team Discussion

Archived