• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Italy National Team Discussion

football forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Another thing that has to be thrown at Ventura is his cowardliness...  After the fiasco in Stockholm where Italy lost 1-0 he said that the press and all of his detractors would be eating their words because he knew what was required and how to turn it all around.  That once Italy had qualified for the World Cup in Russia that he should be given apologies.

Well after all that he refused to do a post-match press conference last night so as the press could quiz him on what they thought was questionable.  It's not just for the press but also answering to the Italian fans!  They wanted answers last night, they wanted someone to take responsibility and the only thing that occurred was a passionate crying Buffon and an angry De Rossi confronting Italy and the world's press.

Stand up for yourself man!  If you're big enough before the aftermath, then be there when it's most required and you have failed.

Maybe Italy appointed Ace Ventura.   But reminds me of Hodgson when he didnt speak with the media and when he finally did, he said i dont know why i am here, if those managers would of won i bet they couldnt wait to speak to the media.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Why?

The Italian national job is the biggest honour in Italian football!

For me Ancelotti isn’t the answer anyway... SARRI IS!

Sarri can do more for the national team in his current job, as long as they bring in a competent manager to carry forward his good work. Working day in and day out with his Italian players (well the few he actually has...) will improve them more than coaching them a few times a year, they just need a manager who will use Jorginho and Insigne.

Ancelotti has the prestige and attacking mindset that Italy requires, especially in a tournament format. The cupboard is not as bare as the vast overreaction of the past 24 hours seems to think it is, they just require the correct application. Italy doesn't have a natural No.10 as they've been blessed with for decades, and their main attacking playmakers are more comfortable in wider positions. Something Ventura never embraced and tried to incorporate well. 

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

they just need a manager who will use Jorginho and Insigne.

I agree and I know you follow Italian football very closely...

But to use Jorginho, Insigne and others of the ilk, you've got to play a style that suits them so as to get the most of their qualities.  There's a reason both Insigne and Jorginho are constantly in the Spanish press connected to the big two and that's because it fits another mindset.

What you're alluding to is that the players are there, but even though that is true presently with a bunch of younger players in their early to mid twenties, there isn't an abundance of players coming through.  For me the reason is because there's a mixed and confused problem in Italian youth football at the earliest age levels.  This I'm also getting from friends of my wife's family who some of them train and school level.  Obviously it's a lot more complexed than all that and I don't pretend to assume that the little I know counts for much but it does adjoin well with some of the dissent coming from those younger figures in the FIGC who want a change and are battling against the traditionalists.  This is why I pinpointed the Chiellini interview from a few days ago and what he said because it was irresponsible of him to say that publicly when there is still too much nostalgic sentiment surrounding what once was.

Football has moved on!

But back to what you said...  Yes, Ancelotti is a fantastic coach and a favourite of mine.  I've never made any secret of that and when he coached Real Madrid I said so then which shows how much I rate him hahaha.  But for me Carletto is different...  He is a great at administering big egos, massive names.  Italy hasn't got an issue with this unless we're talking about putting the real senior players in their place...  Even that last statement has to be dissected here though because there seems to be a difference of opinion going on there with the way De Rossi reacted and Buffon known to be an advocate for change from grass roots.  Then you have the Chiellini-s of this world that although legendary characters also in Italian football folklore, they're stunting evolution with their attitude.

What's that about "We'll never be able to play tiki-taka"?  What a load of rubbish and what's "tiki-tala" when it's at home anyway!  A pure invention of the football press!

It's about changing mindsets but also not forgetting strengths.  It's about evolving and not continuing to believe that old ideals are still superior.  You can tactically out-clue your rival on given days, Portugal won the last Euros like that, but it's not a building block for the future.  If the way you want to go is stunting it all then fine, go ahead.  But the voices in Italian football are more split than ever.

1 hour ago, VanPaddy said:

Maybe Italy appointed Ace Ventura.   But reminds me of Hodgson when he didnt speak with the media and when he finally did, he said i dont know why i am here, if those managers would of won i bet they couldnt wait to speak to the media.

Ventura isn't a bad coach...  What he did with Torino was more than admirable but he made errors and then the FIGC in September extended his contract till 2020 which sends out ridiculous messages.  Ventura's problem was the way he failed to diversify after coming second and study Sweden...  There seemed to be an attitude of superiority and that's mental!  That coupled with the fact the team had lost its confidence which made everything very sensitive...  All of that is indeed a head coach's fault and a massive part of what he's paid to do at international level.  You don't get to be with the players day in, day out and building foundations where different outlays are paramount.  But when you have a deep bedded issue of belief which is something Italian football still suffers from, then the battle isn't easy and must be very confusing for all.

• The title was changed to Italy National Team Discussion - Ventura Sacked
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Didn't he walk after the Sweden game?

No mate... He disappeared off the face of the map and even refused to do the post match press conference.

It’s ironic that the FIGC sack Ventura after 7 weeks ago they renewed his contract till 2020.

How can Italian football fans trust the federation after that?

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

No mate... He disappeared off the face of the map and even refused to do the post match press conference.

It’s ironic that the FIGC sack Ventura after 7 weeks ago they renewed his contract till 2020.

How can Italian football fans trust the federation after that?

well at least they made the right decision in sacking him. imagine the scenes and chaos if they didn't sack him after this travesty. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

well at least they made the right decision in sacking him. imagine the scenes and chaos if they didn't sack him after this travesty. 

That’s true and they have done the right thing. But to be honest they didn’t have of a choice because the nation was up in arms.

But the question here mate is another one... The football federation are there to make the best decisions for Italian football (as are all the other respective FAs and national federations) and they made a different decision 7 weeks ago. What have they seen in 7 weeks?

That’s the question Italy are going to be asking because decisions always have to be made and not just the next appointment for a national coach. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That’s true and they have done the right thing. But to be honest they didn’t have of a choice because the nation was up in arms.

But the question here mate is another one... The football federation are there to make the best decisions for Italian football (as are all the other respective FAs and national federations) and they made a different decision 7 weeks ago. What have they seen in 7 weeks?

That’s the question Italy are going to be asking because decisions always have to be made and not just the next appointment for a national coach. 

well obviously not being able to qualify for the World Cup. No doubt it was made clear to him that if they fail to qualify, therefore not meeting expectations, he would be sacked.

Equally, if they did qualify and made it to Russia next summer, his performance would be evaluated after that. Most likely we'd have seen more boring and lacklustre performances. The FIGC were probably as unimpressed as most of the world were anyway. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

well obviously not being able to qualify for the World Cup. No doubt it was made clear to him that if they fail to qualify, therefore not meeting expectations, he would be sacked.

Equally, if they did qualify and made it to Russia next summer, his performance would be evaluated after that. Most likely we'd have seen more boring and lacklustre performances. The FIGC were probably as unimpressed as most of the world were anyway. 

So why renew 7 weeks before qualification was ended and by then it was already obvious they were going to be battling it out in a play-off?

17 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

That's poor, the manager should always rise above and face the music. No matter how upset he was he should have done the interview as going missing like that shows terrible weakness. 

I wonder how Italians fans react to this in the long term though. Wasn't it Lippi who was publically abused for a while after failing to get Italy out of their 2010 group despite winning the thing in 2006?!

He was and it's not the first time they take the piss out of big name personalities in Italy when things go very wrong.  I'm very connected to Italy through my wife and various friends so I've seen this many times before.  The way their ex-Prime Minister Matteo Renzi was treated while in tenure was mental.

But these things happen in latin countries and it blows over after a while with all forgotten.  It's the heat of the moment although not qualifying for a World Cup is MASSIVE somewhere like Italy.

21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

He was and it's not the first time they take the piss out of big name personalities in Italy when things go very wrong.  I'm very connected to Italy through my wife and various friends so I've seen this many times before.  The way their ex-Prime Minister Matteo Renzi was treated while in tenure was mental.

But these things happen in latin countries and it blows over after a while with all forgotten.  It's the heat of the moment although not qualifying for a World Cup is MASSIVE somewhere like Italy.

Not here, most people are extremely stupid and will overlook whatever good you did if you make one or two mistakes and they'll throw shit at you non-stop.

4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Not here, most people are extremely stupid and will overlook whatever good you did if you make one or two mistakes.

The Evita Perón story which is famous enough is proof of this...  I wonder if people see things different now.

29 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The Evita Perón story which is famous enough is proof of this...  I wonder if people see things different now.

Nah, most are still stupid. But i guess it happens everywhere although it manifests in different forms, so no biggie. xD

This tells you how things are seen in the south of Italy where Italy being knocked out is in question... Or maybe in the whole of the south of Italy!  It's a shame for those that don't understand Italian (or better said, Neapolitan) because it's hilarious! xD  But if you concentrate enough you'll get the drift even if you don't understand hahaha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, Cicero said:

He's nailed on to return to Milan after Gatusso's inevitable departure

I’d be more concerned that every club Gattuso has managed has gone bust. And Milan’s Chinese invester seems about as credible as Gattuso’s managerial record. This is the same Gattuso that got turned down for Hamilton Accies xD

I’d be curious to see if Conte returns if he leaves at the end of this season. Which I actually think is more than likely. 

• The title was changed to Italy National Team Discussion

Archived