• 1999 Manchester United
    • 2004 Arsenal
    • 2005 Chelsea
    • 2008 Manchester United
    • Other

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate when people look at the season as just the league, Arsenals "invincibles" for example. They weren't invincible, Middlesbrough beat them in the League Cup. Chelsea beat them in the Champions League. Man Utd beat them in the FA Cup.

To compare them to a side that won the treble is nonsense.

Chelsea's 05 team took 5 more points than the "invincibles" that season and won the League Cup too.

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

I hate when people look at the season as just the league, Arsenals "invincibles" for example. They weren't invincible, Middlesbrough beat them in the League Cup. Chelsea beat them in the Champions League. Man Utd beat them in the FA Cup.

To compare them to a side that won the treble is nonsense.

They are talking about one competition. To go unbeaten in a league, especially if its the Premier League, is a very impressive task.

They also had some very good players but I'm with Cicero here.

58 minutes ago, Blue said:

They are talking about one competition. To go unbeaten in a league, especially if its the Premier League, is a very impressive task.

They also had some very good players but I'm with Cicero here.

No one competes in just one competition

2 hours ago, Danny said:

No one competes in just one competition

That wasn't the point. They were invincible in THAT competition. Calling them the invincibles doesn't mean every single competition. What Arsenal did was a top achievement that is hard to recreate. it was a very good team, but again I agree with Cicero that there was better.

Definitely not the best PL team or even close to it, but I was a huge fan of Liverpool in 2013-14. Just imagine if Coutinho was well developed by then. One of the best teams to not win a title.

2 hours ago, Machado said:

Man United '99 or '08 but please add Manchester City 2017/18 if they win both the PL and the CL.

I haven't enjoyed watching an English side as much as the current Man City, since Man United '08.

Have to agree, IF we can play like this for a full season and bring the league & the CL home, we will go down as the greatest ever the way we are playing

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Definitely not the best PL team or even close to it, but I was a huge fan of Liverpool in 2013-14. Just imagine if Coutinho was well developed by then. One of the best teams to not win a title.

Just imagine if they had a defence and didn't pretend Gerrard was a DM.

Just now, 6666 said:

I thought Skrtel had a good season that year. Not world class but definitely better than what they have now.

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

Again, Gerrard was never ever played as a defensive midfielder in that system under Rodgers. He was the deep lying playmaker (massive difference) and he played it brilliantly most of the time. It was Henderson who did all the leg work in that midfield. 

This has been pointed out over and over again but with some people it just doesn’t seem to sink in? 

3 hours ago, Blue said:

It was good but I think our 06/07 - 07/08 teams were better (on paper anyway) with Mascherano, Alonso & Gerrard in midfield with a world class Torres up front. 

Should have won the league with that team and almost did. Few silly draws cost us. 

6 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Completely bias 1999 for me. A joy to watch that team play with Cole and Yorke up front with Teddy and Ole as well. World class midfield, fairly solid defence and Schmeichel. 

If i hadn’t see such riches, I could live with being poor :(

Where does your 2008 side rank compared to that one? Won the league and Champions League that year and won the league again a year later while reaching the Champions League final again. We came so close to the league in 2009 but as much as it hurts to admit it, we were simply pipped by the better side. Very good side you had between 2007 and 2009.

Archived