• 1999 Manchester United
    • 2004 Arsenal
    • 2005 Chelsea
    • 2008 Manchester United
    • Other

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I would end this debate with proof beyond opinion by using Science and some good old stats (My fav thing! NOT) produced by a Liverpool fan who works at University of Salford.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25617-best-ever-english-football-team-revealed-by-statistics/

Dont bother replying, while I agree with the result, I never ever want to waste my time defending this truth. :ay:

• Subscriber

Invincibles for me, loved everything about that team. So good to watch.

When i think of that team at the peak of their powers and the fact they never won the league back to back makes me realise just how good Ferguson was. The hardest thing to do as a manager must be to keep a team motivated after they've reached the top of the mountain. Wenger and even that great Arsenal team never managed to successfully defend a Premier League title, yet Fergie managed it multiple times. 

Maybe not the best but Man United 93/94 should be considered one of the best.

Looking back at the records now, defensively that Chelsea 04/05 team was unbelievable. To concede so little goals. That and they should've went 'Invicible' as well, think Man City away was their only defeat. Seem to remember it was the first time in a long time that Lampard missed a game? Could be wrong.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Maybe not the best but Man United 93/94 should be considered one of the best.

Looking back at the records now, defensively that Chelsea 04/05 team was unbelievable. To concede so little goals. That and they should've went 'Invicible' as well, think Man City away was their only defeat. Seem to remember it was the first time in a long time that Lampard missed a game? Could be wrong.

Yes, it was City. It's pointless saying they should have gone undefeated, the fact is they didn't. Arsenal could have been beaten in 2003/2004. The fact is they didn't. 

Chelsea's defensive record was indeed impressive in 2004/2005. Conceding only 15 which is amazing. 

Arsenal Invincibles were already knocked out of the league cup and lost in the group stages in the Champions League during around this time. We lost 1 game in the league in 2005, set a tremendous amount of records, won the league cup and made it to the semi-final in the Champions League and only lost due to a controversial incident. United treble and double speak for themselves. 

Teams that won the league and had enough strength/balance to do well in other cup competitions, particularly the Champions league, should be seen as variables. Especially in that era. 

But surely cup competitions like the Champions league, FA Cup and League Cup should be considered? Shows how strong the team really is if they balanced both the league and cups. 

We broke the record for the most amount of wins by a premier league title winning team last year, yet I wouldn't dare rank it alongside considering we weren't in the Champions League. 

14 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Where does your 2008 side rank compared to that one? Won the league and Champions League that year and won the league again a year later while reaching the Champions League final again. We came so close to the league in 2009 but as much as it hurts to admit it, we were simply pipped by the better side. Very good side you had between 2007 and 2009.

Excellent individuals in that 2008 team, but not the cohesion of 1999. Those pre millennium players were almost telepathic. It’s probably a lot to do with nostalgia as well to be fair. We had shite like Anderson playing in ‘08.

Archived