• 2004 Arsenal
    • 2005 Chelsea
    • 2008 Manchester United
    • Other

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Spike said:

Not my top notch posting quality and chicken McNuggets.

There were moments during that period where I was embarrassed to be an Arsenal fan and look at the faces of other Premier League football fans.

How does that sound because it's true that I felt this way as I've always been very anti-smug in terms of how some fans are.

Statistically, it's Chelsea 2004/05 as they gained the most points.

For the level of competition, it would probably be Man United 2007/08 as that's around the time where English clubs were at their strongest. 

But, through all that Man United 1998/99 are probably the greatest English team I've ever seen. Yorke and Cole were unbelievable together at that time.

14 hours ago, Danny said:

Chelsea took more points the following season...

Chelsea also were not undefeated in the league the following season...

Don't particularly care about the point totals tbh. Arsenal went undefeated playing attacking football.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Chelsea also were not undefeated in the league the following season...

Don't particularly care about the point totals tbh. Arsenal went undefeated playing attacking football.

But Chelsea had a better season

29 minutes ago, Danny said:

But Chelsea had a better season

It was the best Mourinho side because of Robben and they broke the point total. But they also didn't go undefeated or play in the same way. Seems like a matter of opinion rather than something we need to argue about.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It was the best Mourinho side because of Robben and they broke the point total. But they also didn't go undefeated or play in the same way. Seems like a matter of opinion rather than something we need to argue about.

Because of Robben? He was like our 5th or 6th best attacker xD

27 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Because of Robben? He was like our 5th or 6th best attacker xD

Robben made you easier on the eyes, nothing to do with his actual effectiveness. Lampard or Drogba (don't think Drogba was at his peak that season though) were probably the best attackers that season. Damien Duff was still at Chelsea, and Robben was on fucking fire that year so no way he was 5th or 6th best attackers.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Robben made you easier on the eyes, nothing to do with his actual effectiveness. Lampard or Drogba (don't think Drogba was at his peak that season though) were probably the best attackers that season. Damien Duff was still at Chelsea, and Robben was on fucking fire that year so no way he was 5th or 6th best attackers.

Lampard 

Drogba

Duff

Cole

Robben 

Easily. So many people over hype Robben's time with us. If he wasnt causing defenders trouble, he was either ineffective or sidelined injured. No way in hell was he better than those mentioned 04-06. No way. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Lampard 

Drogba

Duff

Cole

Robben 

Easily. So many people over hype Robben's time with us. If he wasnt causing defenders trouble, he was either ineffective or sidelined injured. No way in hell was he better than those mentioned 04-06. No way. 

Eidur?

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Lampard 

Drogba

Duff

Cole

Robben 

I never would have thought Duff would have been considered better than Robben. And I think when Robben was playing well was when that Chelsea looked it's best.

Lets be honest... Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea were all massive cheats and unsporting bellends who all deserve to have any respect significantly diminished.

They remind me of the scene in Damned United where Brian Clough tells the Leeds players 

Well, I might as well tell you now. You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Don Revie. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest fucking dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I never would have thought Duff would have been considered better than Robben. And I think when Robben was playing well was when that Chelsea looked it's best.

Duff had a much better impact and far more consistent. Cult hero here. 

7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Massive cheats is a bit strong... xD

Probably for Arsenal. Not Man Utd pre 2005 or Chelsea under Mourinho the first time around. Disgraceful teams full of shitty conduct from the start of every game to the end of it.

The beloved pundit Gary Neville was probably the biggest cheat of his generation in the 90s. By the 00s the leagues top teams were full of shitty behaviour which no doubt influenced many games.

Mourinho is the master at teaching his teams to push the boundaries. Take one moment from today for example, we were 1-0 up, our keeper caught the ball and went down injured. To restart the game instead of giving the ball back to our keeper Man Utd kicked the ball out for a throw by the corner flag and their whole team pushed up to press us into our own corner. 

The only way to stop this sort of crap is to remove all respect for those who think that's an acceptable thing to do. They'd sharp not like it if you thought their victories were worth no respect.

38 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Lets be honest... Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea were all massive cheats and unsporting bellends who all deserve to have any respect significantly diminished.

They remind me of the scene in Damned United where Brian Clough tells the Leeds players 

I can agree with that although what’s determined as cheating. Anyhow... I’ll agree with that but only if every single champion has cheated their way to winning the god damned thing.

People say many things and it doesn’t make them right. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I can agree with that although what’s determined as cheating. Anyhow... I’ll agree with that but only if every single champion has cheated their way to winning the god damned thing.

People say many things and it doesn’t make them right. 

You'll agree with it if Arsenal aren't considered any worse than anyone else? xD

Everyone might have a cheater in their team but it is still possible to do it more than others, to be worse than others and to have an entire team ethic and approach to certain situations that is the absolute worst of the lot. 

55 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

You'll agree with it if Arsenal aren't considered any worse than anyone else? xD

Everyone might have a cheater in their team but it is still possible to do it more than others, to be worse than others and to have an entire team ethic and approach to certain situations that is the absolute worst of the lot. 

All succesful teams end up getting the rub of the green where decisions are concerned...  Put it this way...  Due to the cyclical nature of football, we've all felt this and we've all gone through the sensation of feeling victimised.

In saying this, there are cases and have been "eras" where due to the utter dominance of a club, the footballing institutions coupled with the media, end up either turning a blind eye to some more obvious "dodginess" or actually support the (alleged) "directive" because it helps the product.

No club has dominated without this inevitability which is unfortunate.  There's no such thing as a premeditated dirty cheating team unless we have a situation of a coach manipulating the issue from within the dressing room including the media.  Arsene Wenger may be many things but even I can vouch for him in the area of not being that sort of coach or at least in his successful years he wasn't.

I wasn't exclusively talking about getting decisions. I'm talking about the decisions they make, their attitude and behaviour, the boundaries they push, the gamesmanship tactics they use. Shameful clubs.

Most teams behaviour is a reflection of their manager. Which is why Ferguson's Manchester United, Mourinho's Chelsea and Wenger's Arsenal were all cunts. Pellegrino's City and Ranieri's Leicester make them look like a team assembled by Chief Executives in Canary Wharf.

Our 08 team was far more balanced and superior to the 13-14 team. Our central midfield trio was a match for any. It was world class central midfield,  and if it was retained for a few years then we would have definitely  won the league later. 

Arsenal's invincibles were special.  Especially,  Henry in those 3-4 years was extraordinary. A proper athlete who hardly ever got injured and at times sliced up defences for fun. The Frenchman was an absolute joy to watch at times.

Archived